• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Apport Tie

A

Anonymous

I help out my wife who is a Boys Brigade Officer. Last Wednesday (January 14th) I went to a local shop for some provisions for the BBS session while my wife took the register. As I was walking through the shop my eye was attracted to a tie on the floor. It caught my eye not just because it was nowhere near the clothing racks but because it was very similar to one I had. It was easy to tell because it was a Tie Rack silk tie with a Manet painting of Paris represented over it. Not expensive but fairly distinctive and getting on a bit by now. It was exactly same as mine but I had noticed that in my usual slovenly way it was hanging over the stairs when I left that evening. My jacket was nowhere near it on the back of a chair waiting for me to go out. I had not changed from my work clothes and was consequently already wearing a tie - not this one!
I picked up the tie and notoiced that it was uniformly lightly damp- not just the bottom as if it had been trailing on the ground. I took it home with me more out of curiosity than anything. Sure enough, when I got home mine was nowhere to be seen. It still has not turned up. Or rather maybe it has!
I have thought a lot about this. It could have got mixed up with my jacket or I could have subconsciously put it in a pocket I suppose. But this would not account for the uniform dampness of the tie or the fact that it had been dropped where I had not yet walked in the store. A practical joke seem sunlikely because I can account for all the likely players and it would in any case be a very weak joke.
For what it's worth....

Did you have to buy it or did the shop think it was yours?

edit to ask further question: was the damp like water? or somethiing else (urgh!) .....

most envious.

Kath

Hey Kath
The shop (Tesco to be precise) do not stock the tie as it is a Tie Rack tie. They had no problem with me claiming it to be mine - mainly because I just took it!
As to the liquid it had no smell but NO WAY was i tasting it!!
Gethin

A tie with a picture on it - come on - no body wears those. The fact that you bought it out of Tie Rack is no excuse, they are just trying to make money out of peole stuck for a novelty christmas gift. I bet your wife was well put out when it looked like you had finally lost the thing but intead you came back with a damp identical one that you had found on the floor of the supermarket.

If we conider that supernatural phemomena like aports is trying to give us a message then surely the univere is trying to tell you to get rid of this particular piece of neckware and let your wife select your ties in future.

Alternatively if you consider pictorial ties to be a form of art maybe they are a good thing to start collecting seriously. True they are hideous now and alway in sales maybe they will be considered vintage in 60 years or so (or 70) at least collecting them might stop you wearing them. Find an interesting way of diplaying them then they would not end up lost, or hanging on the stairs, or on the floor in Tesco covered in an unknown moisture.

Hey!
I never said I liked the damn thing!
Actually it was a gift from my wife anyway so she has no excuse!
Maybe it is so depressed at having such an old fashioned surface that it follows me around like a dog for company
Who knows??

Back