• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Archaeological MiB's

TheBeast17

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I remember reading somewhere about a sort of archaeological group of Mib's, or government agents that appeared at archaeological digs whenever something odd was discovered.

The finds then disappear, and never reappear.

Anyone know anythings else about this?

WARNING: Rant ahead:

What actually happens is you and your mates in the local group have been digging a site all summer that nobody is bothered about, until you find something really interesting.

You've spent hours and hours digging it, recording it whilest developing a great tan etc.
Some git tells the 'Archaeological Unit' and they come and scupper your dig and take your finds!

They put them in a box somewhere and that's the last that you hear of them...forever....So it comes out of the ground having been there for thousands of years and goes into a box.

grrrr...sigh...hurrumph....

Rant ends.
:mad:

Em, do you know where these things are kept and how big this place might be? and do you think Spielberg was able to film it?

EMMY!!!!!

Breathe!!! Count to ten!!!!!

There, feel better?

No, ok.

I was thinking more along the lines of anomolous finds that don't fit into modern views of history.

I read somewhere a while ago (isn't that always the way) about a woman archaeologist who had discovered a burial site with inordinately tall skeletons in it. The skulls where oddly shaped, I don't mean deformed, they had something like too many teeth, or something like that anyway.

She called the find in to whoever it is archaeologists report to, and a group of governmental looking guys arrived, and told her that they were taking over the site. She was chucked off, and not allowed back on. When the blokes left a few days later, they had cleared the site out completely, leaving no evidence of any finds wotsoever.

Trouble is (as is also always the way) I can't find a reference to it anywhere of the Net.

Any ideas?:confused:

I've been looking for similar stories and I'ev only ever seen them mentioned on boards or newsgroups as UL or FOAFs.

I have the distinct impression that they are spread by tipsy archeologists to impress the locals.

Okay...I'm calm(er) now.....

I've heard these stories too - though not in archaeological circles I hasten to add.

I'll ask the weird and wonderful sandaled types at college and see what they know....

Whether they'll tell me I have no clue.....

Emmy, that sounds a bit like the classic case of the senior archeologist, who wants to publish everything under his own name. So he gathers up everything found of significance.....

What tends to happen is they have so much on their plate, they never get anything published at all!

The other example is the archeologist who does the dig, but never writes up the notes, so there are boxes of finds, but no one knows the context in which they were found. I can think of a few of these!

On the subject of Archeological MiB, if something was found during a dig, in an unusual context, or of an unusual nature. The natural inclination of the boss, of the senior person on the site, would be to consider that they on site had made a b**l's up & take over the supervision themselves.

Exit one site supervisor, with poor future employment prospects.:(

I'd guess some of these instances would be a result of the 'Big one that got away' syndrome. I'm digging for weeks, or months, or years. By the time I find something, it's got to be something incredible, something that will shake up the profession. So I go out that night, telling people I've found something amazing. Next day I finish digging it up and it's a plain old roman pot. I have some explaining to do... "I was just finishing digging up this ancient roman rock with inscriptions about aliens and ufo, and these men came and stole it away from me! But at least I still have this nice pot..."

I dunno, maybe I'm way off base. It sounds like something I'd do, if I were an archaeologist.

Hey David - sounds like you know the deal! The sandaled ones seem to be an opinionated bunch who never publish anything, argue amonst themselves for years and then forget the boxes and boxes of finds just sitting in the cellar of a museum....still I have only gained holey jumper status in this field so what do I know....

Mike_Legs - I'd be well chuffed if I dug up a complete Roman pot.
You would all know about it because I would rave about it for days and then you would all say,

"Emmy, dearest, it's just an old pot...we can't see the wonder"

Whereupon I would just shake my head slowly and then head off with trowel in hand to find something to really impress you....

:)

Emmy, I ain't trying to put you, or "them down the hole" down.

It's that it just that sometimes when I've tried to find out about a particular dig, whoever was supposed to write it up, has cleared off & is doing some thing else, in some cases on a different continent!

Sometimes, it's a case of them getting the money & moving on, other times it seems to be that they like being out on site themselves. Who wants to spend the winter writing a boring report? So the report never gets written & the boxes of finds accumulate in the cellers.

Things do seem to be improving, some contracts now depend on final payment after the report has been delivered. But I can think of some digs where the bloke who was in charge has probably now popped his clogs & we are never really going to know what was found & it's context.

Hey David - I didn't think that were trying to put me and 'them in the hole down' !:)

If you offend me I'll let you know - believe me!:eek!!!!:

I totally agree with you - my lecturer is writing up a dig that he completed in 1974 - the year that I was born!!!!!

Trouble is I can't see the point of spending your summer digging and then not bothering to write the report !

Makes the 36 years it took for the Sutton Hoo catalogue seem reasonable.

thinking of Out of place items I have lost a reference I once had to a find made at Billingsgate/London Bridge digs. Sometine round 1988 one of the popular Archaeology magazines published a record of a knife blade found at that dig. It appeared to have Japanese characters on the blade. As I recall it was found in one of the 13th 14th Century layers Who could I contact?

Thanks Emmy, maybe I'm just too sensitive, at least when I'm sober.

I've no intention of upsetting any one!;)

This may sound off thread, but bear with me!

A new Idea in astronomy now is that of a Virtual Observatory, VO. The fact is that accurate records have been kept for centuries, photographic data for well over a century, and now high tech telescopes are pulling in data faster than ever. A modern telescope, for example, can take spectra of hundreds of stars at once in just a few hours, something that would once have taken months.

The VO is a way of analysing all this data to extract new results. The process is sometimes called 'Data Mining'. There's a link about it here

From the posts above, it seems something similar should be done in Archaeology. (Unless the MIB prevent it, of course...)

Emmy?

Did you go to the Wendlebury dig...?

Niles (I studied Archaeology, but I'm alright Nowww!) Calder.

I know the solution to this problem - call in Time Team. Tony Robinson, Phil, Kerenza and Mike will soon sort them out!:D

Carole

Carole, may I make a strong suggestion - after that post, DUCK. Tho' I could be wrong about the Archaeological opinion of that programme

Intaglio: As a aweeping generalisation Time Team are not bad for Arcaeology. Not only have the popularised the Science, causing an upswelling in funding and students studying the subject buth they're also good as archaeologists go. If they weren't then they wouldn't be doing all those visits to other people's digs.

Niles "armchair archaeologist" Calder

heh! Apparently I'm wrong. Emmy has just told me that Archaeologists hate Time Team but watch it anyway. Hey ho!

Niles Calder said:
... heh! Apparently I'm wrong. Emmy has just told me that Archaeologists hate Time Team but watch it anyway. Hey ho!
I suspect it's dreadful fascination, like me watching Tony Curtis in "Black Shield of Falworth". :D Personally I'd dread the idea of being woken at 6 am after a night at the pub by someone with the public face of Tony Robinson - all teeth and enthusiasm - even Baldrick would be better. :cross eye

Now Meet the Ancestors ...

Dont get me wrong - I love Time Team!

All those bulldozers and woolly jumpers!

It upsets my lecturer no end....but thinking about it - that's not that hard to do.....

Meet the ancestors is great - right up until it digresses from fact into pure suppostion and people start drawing pictures of typical scenes from the Iron age or something - then I get fed up with it.

On the other hand I think that the progams about the Vikings have been really really good.

Yes I know Time Team can be annoying, but it does give the public an 'idear' of what 'can' be involved in archeology, (Ducks head hurriedly below the parapet).

I can remember when metal detectorists first started (& lots of rabbid archeologists were screaming that it was the death of archeology & calling for the public hanging of any one found in the vicinity of a metal detector). But, most of the poor blokes & blokess who got themselves a detector had no idear what the rules were & when they were in the wrong, or why!!!

The classic case at the time, would be of a bloke who found something, took it down to the museum & then found the site where he found it was then sheduled & no further searching was allowed. But no one ever came & dug the site, with no explanation as to why this took place. In some counties you couldn't even find where the sheduled sites were, incase you went out detectoring!!!!

Some of the archeologists at the time were sooo heavy that I did consider, but rejected, the idear that they were the origin of the archeological MiB.

All I can say is take a look at a number of Time Team episodes to see how things have changed, thank goodness:)

You can see their point tho', Archaeology is not a reversable process. Trouble is there are so many sites known, and so many sites still to be found, we'll never dig 'em all.

What's needed is a formal method of the detector boys being able to do their thing which also gives the academics a chance. That way the amateurs do for archaeology what amateur star-gazers do for the astronomer.

Find out how they can dig without ruining the stratigraphy too much. Mass produce traceable marker to put in place of their finds. There'll be a mass of information. Areas producing a flood of detector finds can be flagged for immediate investigation.

You can't stop metal detecting so use it.

(Ducks hurriedly back behind the parapet :) )

I love Time Team. But if any more people duck below the parapet (which is mine, I found it first), there'll be more behind it than in front of it. (That'll be time for the Paradiggum Shift, then.)

Heh heh heh - I'm the only one without a parapet? That's okay - I'll dig a hole
:D

Now from the safety of the hole I will ask - what are the rules for metal detecting?

Could metal detectors be the MIB?

I mean they turn up at the site when the archaeologists have gone home to watch the Antiques Roadshow and then dig random holes in the ground...who knows what they find because they just nick...ahem... take stuff?

And before you all jump out from behind your parapets to throw clods of earth at me- I really have had no bad experiences of metal detectors and have nothing against them whatsoever - I'm just posing a theory from a metephorical hole in the ground!!!
:D

Stepping boldly into the open and insisting that the slight stumble was not caused by rynners encouraging little push, Intaglio faces the massed hordes of ditch diggers and parapet duckers. Is he downhearted? No! This man laughs in the face of fear. The idea that there is a note of hysteria in it is an illusion. Did he cry "help, "? Never! you're imagining it.

I take it you mean the finds that prove the Scillies were Atlantis or that Hrothgar the spineless captured Little Wakering in 733 not 735? What you forget is that these finds would change our view of history.

History has to be protected otherwise the world of the future where the MiB come from would be lost. It is not what history was but what we beleive it to be that is important. They come in many forms. They have spaceships adapted to look like land rovers with "County Archaeoligical Service" on the sides. Have you ever seen this person in any other context?

Look at the uniform of the Archaeolgist. Ill fitting sweaters, baggy boiler suits - Wellingtons! What better to hide their inhuman forms. The metal detectorists are of the same breed. What do they wear? Wellington boots, of course, warm "practical" clothing or for the officers the superannuated shell suit. The *metal* detector is, of course, merely a disguise for their advanced technology. When they talk about these machines does it bear any relationship to English?

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Back