• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Architectural Layouts & Alignments (Geometry, Sacred or Otherwise)

A

Anonymous

last night there was a prog on telly about Richard Hook servayor of London after the great fire comtempory to Newton etc.. I was too dog tired to take it all in but... the monument of the Great Fire was built to his specifications and to be also a huge pipe/teliscope from which he made sure he could see Draco, lieing on a couch int he basement. He was mates with Wren and he and Wren made plans for useing St Pauls as some sort of Obervatory...but i missed what etc....

it seems to me that there is a change in sacred geometry at this period from the mystical (Catres Chatheral) to Scietific/new religion with St Pauls... anyone know more?

There is a book by Adrian Gilbert called "The New Jerusalem" which goes into great detail about this sort of sacred geometry in London including the Monument. A good read especially considering his other books are so... how can I say... out there?

ye sim interested (in this instance) in real geometry rather than imposed...cheers ill look it up

Sidecar_Jon:
Are you interested in London in specific?

If not, look to Washington, District of Columbia, USA. Although I have never read anything reliable that explicitly stated that any of the alleged symbolism was intentional. There's certainly lots of conspiracy lore about it, though.

i wasnt being specific, just interested in real, intended, documented geometric alignments etc... i dont have much hope of finding many in cornwall tho (maybe the odd church etc)... with the ordered grid iron layout of many American citys i expect the over all designer had to start from somewhere so why not make the layout meaningfull.

Apparently "new" Edinburgh was set out full of geometric symboligy by a group of Rosicrucians/Masons. Posibly worth further investigation...

The Circus: Bath

Designed by JOHN WOOD (THE ELDER) 1704-1754

Woods was one of the Architects given the task of developing the (then) very popular City of Bath in the 18th Century, Full of Neoclassical/antiquarian ideas he set about recreating (in his own way) the Roman City that bath once was.

I remember reading two things about the Circus one It was Based on an "inverted"? plan of the Colleseum in Rome, and secondly the the plan and dimensions are extrapolated in various ways from Inigo Jones's Survey of Stonhenge. ( I Jones's interpratation of stonehenge had 3 entrances, as so does the Circus)

I do know it is a lovely place that offers some amazing (intended) tricks of perspective and scale.

PS Woods never saw it completed 5 days after He himself laid the foundation stone...he died:(

Mr P

Back