• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are the Fundies for real?

gncxx said:
I wonder how many times God's predictions have come true?

The same number of times as the predictions of Nostradamus and daytime TV mediums: 0

Fundies never tire of pointing out that Bible is chock-full of prophecies, with claims that they predict various catastrophes, but they're just like Nostradmus - extremely vague and easily interpreted to fit any number of different events. Several times in the Bible Jesus clearly states that armageddon will be occurring very soon, within the lifetime of those he was addressing, but I don't think it's happened yet. Or maybe it did and we just missed it.

Tall creationist tales from the Grand Canyon
10:01 14 January 2007
From New Scientist Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.

The Grand Canyon was formed a few thousand years ago by Noah's flood, and not a few million years ago by geological forces, right? So says a glossy book still on sale in Grand Canyon National Park, despite scientists' protests.

The National Park Service has been promising to reconsider whether to sell the book since 2003 (New Scientist, 9 July 2005, p 8), but an investigation by the Washington DC-based pressure group Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility discovered that the review hasn't happened. PEER also charges the NPS with blocking the publication of a pamphlet which describes creationism as non-scientific and advises park rangers how to distinguish science from religion in explaining geology to the public.

NPS spokesman David Barna compares the park's bookshops to a public library, with books on "many alternative beliefs", adding "it is not our role to tell people what to believe".

However, PEER director Jeff Ruch says that by selling the book, the government-funded park is breaking its own rules by appearing to support a religion.

www.newscientist.com/article/dn10949-ta ... nyon-.html

I'm pretty sure I read on a forum or blog that it wasn't true. Someone contacted the park service and asked them.

I'm glad somebody finally brought up Pat Robertson (I'm amazed it took this long! Unless I fell asleep somewhere along the way and he's already been discussed?!).

To each his own and all that--but frankly, Robertson gives me the creeps. More than that--he scares the daylights out of me. I really wonder sometimes which side of sanity he's on. 8)

I've never seen one of his "prophecies" yet come true--yet he continues issuing them at an amazing rate. What I cannot fathom is why people keep coming back for more.

When someone has (a) shown such a nasty streak (i.e. wishing people dead if they dare disagree with him) and (b) failed at "prophecy" after "prophecy" and (c) gulled God knows how many misled lambs out of their hard-earned money, I begin to think of what the Bible has to say about "false prophets".

I think Robertson had better watch out. That next lightening bolt just may be headed his way. :twisted:

Glad its not just me he scares then :)

Though fundamentalists of all creeds give me the creeps.

this is the biggest peice of dog doo i've seen for a while... uk christians claiming to be the most persecuted, um, not that they've had to take the backlash that lots of muslims have over the events of the last few years, or the bad press, or even, like some unfortunate sikhs in leeds, had their temple arsonised by morons...

UK Christians 'suffer for faith'

More than one in five Christians in the UK faces discrimination in their local communities because of their faith, a survey for a BBC programme suggests.

The poll of 604 people describing themselves as Christian, for the Heaven and Earth show, also found 25% felt discriminated against at work.

One in three said the media portrayal of their religion was discriminatory.

The findings come as churches complain the Christian values which underpin law-making in Britain are being eroded.

Church leaders say this process of aggressive secularisation is to the detriment of family life.

'Fight back'

Rev Malcolm Duncan, of campaign group Faithworks, said: "The Christian church is suffering more than all other faiths in the UK.

"There is an aggressive secularist agenda that says it's OK to support any group ending in 'ism', but it's not OK to support anything connected to Christianity."

Conservative MP Ann Widdecombe, who is a Catholic, said Christians must decide whether to "fight back or take it".

"My own belief is that we should stand together and fight this discrimination."

Perceived grievances

BBC religious affairs correspondent Robert Piggott said the level of dissatisfaction among Christians about the way their faith is regarded would have been unthinkable only a few years ago.

But some senior religious figures said they felt the case was being overstated.

Bishop of Bolton David Gillett said religious issues were attracting more attention, leading to a greater perception of discrimination.

"Christians are now finding decisions going against them in a more high-profile way.

"But it's a case of those issues getting more attention, rather than there being more discrimination."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6463527.stm

Ah, yes! Howling mobs of Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, Jews, Atheists and Agnostics combine to torment Christians. Every night we go out and burn another Church or Chapel.

We dont go on the booze afterwards. We show sensitivity towards the Muslims by drinking lashings of ginger ale and scoff chocolate buns. Yum! Yum!

Back