• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Arizona Archaeologist Claims Discovery Of Coronado Expedition Outpost

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This lengthy article describes a site whose location is still being kept secret. The archaeologist studying the site believes she's found the location of the northernmost supply outpost for the 1540 - 1542 Coronado expedition and rewritten the most likely path the expedition took through Arizona.
Tucson archaeologist: Found artifacts linked to 16th century

A Tucson archaeologist has unveiled a discovery in Santa Cruz County that she thinks could rewrite the history of the Coronado Expedition.

Deni Seymour said she has unearthed hundreds of artifacts linked to the 16th century Spanish expedition, including pieces of iron and copper crossbow bolts, distinctive caret-headed nails, a medieval horseshoe and spur, a sword point and bits of chain mail armor.

The “trophy artifact” is a bronze wall gun — more than 3 feet long and weighing roughly 40 pounds — found sitting on the floor of a structure that she said could be proof of the oldest European settlement in the continental United States.

“This is a history-changing site,” said Seymour ...“It’s unquestionably Coronado.”

The independent researcher revealed her find on Jan. 29 ...

Seymour believes she has found the remains of Suya, also known as San Geronimo III because it was the third and northernmost location of a Spanish outpost established to support the expedition. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/science-united-states-tucson-50d7fc899d72e66748d7472e3802aff6

In the 1980's, I used to live south of the Huachuca mountains, where part of the accepted route exists. There are historical markers. One day, I was hiking on it in the mountains, and ran into a group of illegal Mexicans making their way north. We just nodded to each other and kept going our separate ways. A simpler time and happier days...

I hope that the archeologist gets the recognition she deserves. This is great stuff! I think that any "definitive" explanation will always be changed or added to by new information and new interpretations.

Back