• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

ASLSP (Literally)

A

Anonymous

Source: Gramaphone.

639 years of sound
Bayreuth vetrens of Morton Feldman's String Quartet II (lasting over 6 hours) beleve they are famuler with works of great length. But such musical marithons are mere sprints alongside Organ2 [Squared]/ ASLSP by John Cage, curently being played at St. Burchardi Church, Halbertstadt, Germany. It will last for 639 years. The first 3 notes - consisting of an E minor cord - where heard on Febuary the 5, to be joined by two more on September 5, 2005. The performance actualy began on September 5, 2001, with a one and a half year rest - all that could be heard was the sound of the bellows being inflated. Origionaly composed to last 20 minutes, a group of Cage enthusiasts have taken the composer's directive 'as slow as posible' literaly - choosing 639 years, the number of years since the first Blockwerk organ was inaugurated.

I'm sure Cage will be chuckeling quietly in heaven.

OK, so there isn't alot of John Cage fans here then.

Bloody Plebs!

:D

The Virgin Queen said:
OK, so there isn't alot of John Cage fans here then.

Bloody Plebs!

I prefer music :D

And I hate missing the end of a concert!

What a load of pretentious bollocks! :hmph:

Carole

I hate missing the beginning of a show or concert...guess I'll have to wait for the next performance.

John Cage- didn't Mike Batt rip him off?

Cage- 4'33" of f**kall

Batt - 1 minute of nowt

plagiarism suit

Cage Estate wins six figure sum

what was that all about?

carole said:
What a load of pretentious bollocks! :hmph:

Carole

I just thought it was a good joke.

OK a pretentius joke but a good one.

should be good when it's released as a single:)

can't wait to hear the radio edit

jima said:
can't wait to hear the radio edit

the're talking about making it only 50 years long.

I could never be sure with Cage if he was taking the piss some times or if he was deadly series.

Can anyone help me on this one? I like to think he was taking us all to the cleaners (and I love him for it.)

I also love him for '7 hicki' lovely silences. :)

I think he may be taking the p

I bet rehearsals were fun

what happens if one of the musicians makes a mistake? do they stop and start again?

jima said:
I think he may be taking the p

I bet rehearsals were fun

what happens if one of the musicians makes a mistake? do they stop and start again?

rehersals started before the peice was composed. Obviously.:hmph:

The Virgin Queen said:
I just thought it was a good joke.

OK a pretentius joke but a good one.

I was referring to Cage's music, not your thread, your Maj! :p

Carole

carole said:
I was referring to Cage's music, not your thread, your Maj! :p

Carole

I was refering to the recital. :)

I like Cage's music: he removed thge composer from the performance by (in the case of this peice) producing works where the order of the movements could be rearanged as the performer saw fit and by using found sound (for instance his use of randomly tuned radios.) He was one of the people who alowed moden music to exist, not just in the sence of modern orcistral music but also electronica and so forth.

Is it on streaming audio? my modem could cope with that

I'm sure it isn't but you can find his work on any decent file sharing site (winmx got me into him after hearing about him through Sonic Youth.)

Eburacum45 said:
John Cage- didn't Mike Batt rip him off?

Cage- 4'33" of f**kall

Batt - 1 minute of nowt

what was that all about?

4:33 is not, as commonly supposed, fuck all. It is the ambient sounds of the concert hall and surrounding area that the audience is meant to listen to. sort of found objects music. Mike batt is having a joke recording it on CD i think

Faggus said:
4:33 is not, as commonly supposed, fuck all. It is the ambient sounds of the concert hall and surrounding area that the audience is meant to listen to. sort of found objects music. Mike batt is having a joke recording it on CD i think

Cage also recorded it.

It is the sounds that arise in the concert hall that make the peice. It's either the most pretentious thing ever or a work of genius.

I can never deside wich.

(for a more full experement in Cage using silences see 7 hikiu.)

Back