• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Aspartame a poison covered up ? or a simple sweetner ?

techybloke666

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In original studies by Searle aspartame also triggered mammary tumors big time. He says aspartame causes leukemia, lymphoma and pelvis and kidney tumors. In his first study only the rats fed aspartame developed malignant brain tumors. Aspartame breaks down to diketopiperazine, a brain tumor agent that triggered brain tumors in original studies. In the Bressler Report or FDA audit, it explains how Searle, the original manufacturer were excising the brain tumors, putting the rats back in the study, and then resurrecting them on paper when they died. The report is on dorway.com In fact, Dr. H. J. Roberts, Dr. Russell Blaylock and myself spoke to Jerome Bressler and he said it was so bad when the FDA retyped his report they removed the most damning 20%. The FDA to this day refuses to release it, even to a congressman.

http://www.laleva.org/eng/2007/04/aspar ... study.html

Whats your views chaps and chapesses ?

Are we slowly being poisoned ? , are the FDA covering up the dangers ?

It is evil stuff indeed.

Want to know why kids are getting obese and asthma is on the increase?

Research shows that aspartame may mimic or worsen diseases such as Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's, arthritis, lupus, fibromyalgia, and depression.

In 1994 the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released a list of 61 reported adverse reactions including: chest pains, asthma, arthritis, migraine headaches, insomnia, seizures, tremors, vertigo, and weight gain. The surprising item on that list is "weight gain," given the fact that aspartame is the sweetener used in most diet soft drinks. In fact, according to one study, aspartame may actually STIMULATE appetite, prompting cravings for calorie-rich carbohydrates.

But weight gain is nothing compared to some of the horror stories out there.

According to the FDA’s Adverse Reaction Monitoring System, approximately 75 percent of all complaints received about food additives are aspartame-related: 3 out of every 4! And yet the FDA still refuses to acknowledge the evidence that aspartame could be endangering public health.

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/artic ... aines.html

I read quite an interesting article about this in a book called You are being lied to(!)

They were suggesting that there's been quite a lot of coverup - it's so economically good for the companies who produce and use it, that they don't feel like letting on to the fact that it can cause various kinds of horrible death and disease. I can buy it.

Slightly OT but I'm not sure that asthma has risen as dramatically as the figures suggest. I went to the doctor regularly up to the age of 10 complaining of shortness of breath and was only diagnosed with asthma after a full blown attack which lead to hospitalisation. My nephew got diagnosed on his first visit and I've never seen him wheezing the way I did and rarely seen him out of breath. I suspect that either asthma has always been more or less prevalent or that doctors, perhaps lazily, hand out the diagnosis these days.

H_James said:
I read quite an interesting article about this in a book called You are being lied to(!)

I think quite a bit of that article can be found at the disinfo website here.

I read a book that suggested the anti-aspartame campaign originates from the far more powerful sugar lobby

Didn't it start out as an ant killer or something, also I think some Indian farmers were using it as a pesticide as it was cheaper than the pesticide they used to use. Iirc it's banned in some countries for health reasons, all I know is my family don't eat it and we don't notice the loss.

circlebeginning said:
I read a book that suggested the anti-aspartame campaign originates from the far more powerful sugar lobby

Funded by the pro-aspartame lobby?

ted_bloody_maul said:
Slightly OT but I'm not sure that asthma has risen as dramatically as the figures suggest. I went to the doctor regularly up to the age of 10 complaining of shortness of breath and was only diagnosed with asthma after a full blown attack which lead to hospitalisation. My nephew got diagnosed on his first visit and I've never seen him wheezing the way I did and rarely seen him out of breath. I suspect that either asthma has always been more or less prevalent or that doctors, perhaps lazily, hand out the diagnosis these days.

If you put 'rise in asthma' into google, there are plenty of articles that say it is real and on the increase.

jimv1 said:
ted_bloody_maul said:

If you put 'rise in asthma' into google, there are plenty of articles that say it is real and on the increase.

Ignore Ted he's an Edwardian time traveler, it's all new to him.

jimv1 said:
ted_bloody_maul said:

It also gives plenty of articles about what causes it - everything from global warming, cigarettes, chemicals in pools, pollution from traffic, exposure to toxins whilst in the womb, diet, modern housing etc

I don't doubt that asthma has been more commonly diagnosed in recent years. I would say that when I first got treated for it the very few kids that I knew that had it came across emergency situations ie ones where I would have to lend an inhaler because a panicing teacher was so concerned about the colour a child was turning. I was only one of two people in my class who suffered from asthma when I got diagnosed. By the time I was in my mid 20's at least three others who I knew well had been diagnosed as asthmatic. I'd never once heard them complaining about the same kind of minor symptoms that I suffered from let alone having any of the more serious symptoms. This included someone who was on the verge of being a professional footballer before a knee injury robbed him off the chance.

crunchy5 said:
Ignore Ted he's an Edwardian time traveler, it's all new to him.

Not true - I regularly use google to pull apart your cockamamy theories. :lol:

ted_bloody_maul said:
jimv1 said:
ted_bloody_maul said:

It also gives plenty of articles about what causes it - everything from global warming, cigarettes, chemicals in pools, pollution from traffic, exposure to toxins whilst in the womb, diet, modern housing etc

I don't doubt that asthma has been more commonly diagnosed in recent years. I would say that when I first got treated for it the very few kids that I knew that had it came across emergency situations ie ones where I would have to lend an inhaler because a panicing teacher was so concerned about the colour a child was turning. I was only one of two people in my class who suffered from asthma when I got diagnosed. By the time I was in my mid 20's at least three others who I knew well had been diagnosed as asthmatic. I'd never once heard them complaining about the same kind of minor symptoms that I suffered from let alone having any of the more serious symptoms. This included someone who was on the verge of being a professional footballer before a knee injury robbed him off the chance.

Hmmmm. Getting away from footballing knee injuries, which I very much doubt are aspartame-related, and back to the OP, if you type 'aspartame asthma' into google you will see that there's plenty of links for you to have a look at.

jimv1 said:
Hmmmm. Getting away from footballing knee injuries, which I very much doubt are aspartame-related, and back to the OP, if you type 'aspartame asthma' into google you will see that there's plenty of links for you to have a look at.

I'm not claiming aspartame is the cause of football-related knee injuries. The reason I bring it up is to demonstrate the point that someone fit enough to be a professional footballer can apparently suffer from asthma. Given how, in my experience at least, symptoms of asthma that would probably prevent someone from reaching that level of fitness went undiagnosed this would suggest that doctors are more likely to diagnose it than they might have been previously. If that's the case then it's more than likely that instances of asthma will increase. This is very much related to the OP.

You referred to the fact that aspartame is the cause of this increase and cite the fact that there are many references to it on the internet. Having googled it I found 188,000 returns. When I coupled 'asthma' with 'air conditioning' I got 680,000 returns. When I paired it with 'dog' I got 1,200,000 returns. When I paired it with 'smoking' I got 4,410,000 returns. Many theories are put forward to explain the rise in those suffering from asthma. If you believe that aspartame is responsible for this rise then presumably you'd have to rule out these other theories. Are there any particular sites that you would recommend since, presumably, you've found their contents useful in forming your opinion?

Simply quoting hits generated by words when they're typed into Google doesn't really mean all that much either, so perhaps such things shouldn't be read into too much. It also doesn't mean much when a subject is googled for either.

As expected, the two gentlemen who I thought would be more interested in muddying the water and creating an argument have tried to hijack the thread to distract from what is potentially a very important issue.
Well done you two.

I am not rising any futher to the bait.

It's not bait.

Claims are made about a cover-up of the health effects of aspartame. You claim one of those is asthma. Your claim is countered. That's how debate works and not how one sets about muddying it. If you want people to agree with your claims then it would be a good idea to counter criticisms with evidence or at least some form of counter-argument. Personalised attacks on posters is not a good way to do this. They are, on the other hand, a good way to muddy a debate.

jimv1 said:
As expected, the two gentlemen who I thought would be more interested in muddying the water and creating an argument have tried to hijack the thread to distract from what is potentially a very important issue.

Nonsense - firstly, you brought up the subject of Google. Secondly, I provided a link which leads to along article discussing health problems WRT aspartame. I fail to see how I'm thus muddying the waters.

All I'm saying is that typing in any given word or subject into google and getting lots of hits actually means bugger all in terms of (a) real data and (b) how much data is actually out there on the net ;) Add to that (c) - that what may be out there on the net may be a bunch of crap ;)

circlebeginning said:
Perhaps this merits another thread, but has anyone heard of Stevia? it's one of those all-powerful amazonian herbs (I've seen it for sale round here, in the shop that sells all of the all-powerful amazonian herbs). Said power is being immensely sweet, and not being bad for you in any way, and thus being a viable alternative to sugar/artificial sweeteners. But it is illegal in the USA, under drug laws - apparently (allegedly) something to do with the sugar industry.

H_James said:
Perhaps this merits another thread, but has anyone heard of Stevia? it's one of those all-powerful amazonian herbs (I've seen it for sale round here, in the shop that sells all of the all-powerful amazonian herbs). Said power is being immensely sweet, and not being bad for you in any way, and thus being a viable alternative to sugar/artificial sweeteners. But it is illegal in the USA, under drug laws - apparently (allegedly) something to do with the sugar industry.

I was under the impression it was illegal in the UK too. Perhaps that's changed. It's been suspected of affecting male fertility and possibly also being genotoxic.

Jerry_B said:
All I'm saying is that typing in any given word or subject into google and getting lots of hits actually means bugger all in terms of (a) real data and (b) how much data is actually out there on the net ;) Add to that (c) - that what may be out there on the net may be a bunch of crap ;)

True enough. I've seen a number of sites that link aspartame to everything from eye problems to Gulf War Syndrome, and that's only just on the first page. It stretches credulity beyond breaking point. There is, of course, every possibility that it's not entirely safe but from what I've read up it seems that problems seem to occur in heavy users. Surprise. Hell, even water'll kill you if you drink enough of it.

Does anyone know if it's true that when you consume aspartame it goes into your brain and never leaves?

As for the asthma, I believe there are varying degrees of it. Some people with asthma could certainly become professional athletes, whereas others may have a hard time participating in sports. It probably also has a lot to do with how well a person's asthma treatment works and how much they are exposed to things that trigger it.

RainyOcean said:
Does anyone know if it's true that when you consume aspartame it goes into your brain and never leaves?

Sounds like part of the same myth. Like most other things, it gets metabolised down to more common products:

"When ingested, aspartame is converted in the body to methanol and two amino acids--aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Tarantino says, "These substances are produced in much greater amounts in other common foods.""

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2006/4 ... eners.html

I have recently stopped drinking stuff with Aspartame in it. For years I used to drink diet coke every day and suffered from really bad headaches, it took a while for me to make the link. First I thought it was the coffein, so I stopped drionking coke and opted for other diet drinks [which obviously still contained A]. Headaches still continued. Then I started drinking just flavoured water, making sure there was no A in it, and hey presto...No more headaches.

I can still have the odd coke or whatever but what clinched it was this. I really didn't think. I fancied fruit teas and bought some but even though I hate sugar in my normal tea or coffee, I have to have fruit teas a little sweet or they are very boring. So out came [the very old] little device which contains "fake sugar", I put some in my tea and all was fine. Then I made another one shortly afterwards and felt a little funny [didn't link anything to anything at that moment], the third one then did it and a hellish headache enfolded that had me go to bed it was that bad. As I was lying there I remembered the "fake sugar" and when I checked later, it did contain Aspartame.
There you have it, its s*it!

Sounds like part of the same myth. Like most other things, it gets metabolised down to more common products:

"When ingested, aspartame is converted in the body to methanol and two amino acids--aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Tarantino says, "These substances are produced in much greater amounts in other common foods.""

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2006/4 ... eners.html

Refreshing change Wembley you not just taking the official line !! ;)

Hey, don't forget the article I provided a link for... Or was this just me 'muddying the waters...? ;)

From what I can gather, one possible problem seems to be the methanol. The process of breaking down aspartame when ingested has no ethanol molecule which enables the body to flush the methanol out of the system. Or so some sources seem to be saying anyway.

Label from the side of a bottle of Methanol:

Toxic: danger of very serious irreversible effects through inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed

Back