• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

At Last! Someones going to sue!!

Daft!

Is what I say - that's like suing the American Government for not protecting victims of idiot terrorist attacks or like suing the church for not doing enough to prevent sinners from going to hell!

Is it really a truism to state that the US Legal System wastes billions of dollars (many of them tax-payers dollars) on pointless attempts to fill up scum-bag-trailer-park-trash bank accounts? Or is this some kind of democratic right - the right to be a complete waste of space ('Consitutional Amendment X')?

Someone please tell me no!

Disclaimer - This is not an attack on any of our American pals or their lawyers, but merely a question and one which does not imply a need for cross Atlantic comparisons or slanging matches.

I don't think any American on this board would get mad at you for stating that when I and others have made similiar statements in other threads. It is true you always have some moron trying to "get rich" off the system by suing.

As an American, I do recognize the stereotype of the 'lawsuit lottery'. But that was not how I interperted this situation. (Although that might be part of what's going on.)

I saw this as more a way to force the government to seriously address the issue. Possibly the pursuit of this case might shake something loose.

More likely, it's going to get laughed out of court.

I just thought it plain old fashioned funny.

But maybe it would be good to get noticed, the US Govt are supposed to protect their citizens in any eventuality, even from Greys under the bed.

if it resulted in better communication on the issue and better healthcare then it will be a good thing.

After all, a great many people believe this has happened to them...

and hopefully a few hypnonists may get sued...that I can agree with...

Philo T said:
As an American, I do recognize the stereotype of the 'lawsuit lottery'. But that was not how I interperted this situation. (Although that might be part of what's going on.)

I saw this as more a way to force the government to seriously address the issue. Possibly the pursuit of this case might shake something loose.

Cultural thing I suppose - what if every one who thought that they'd been abducted signed a petition stating that they wanted something done? More direct form of democracy?

That'd be a long petition.

Plus the government could cross-reference it against the files!

:D

Philo T said:

That's the main sticking point - how can the issue (if there is one at all) be seriously adressed, when the evidence for it would not stand up to scrutiny in any court worth it's salt? Those who bring a case like this to court need pretty concrete evidence to get it accepted as a case - but as the whole subject lacks this sort of structure, I can't see how it will work. I think that all it will do will show that what's claimed won't stand up to the sort of reasoned evaluation of evidence that takes place within a court. And I doubt those who are bring the case to court will change their views if the case fails to get the judgement they want, or even if it's thrown out piecemeal.

gl5210 said:
... It is true you always have some moron trying to "get rich" off the system by suing.

And some Ambulance-chasing, intestinal parasite of a lawyer who thinks they can win it for them....

'Hi, there. Lionel Hutz, Attorney at Law and Carpet Valetter'

And if you chuck in all the guys who reckon they worked for the government and they knew and cooperated in allowing the aliens activites to remain ridiculed and discredited then it would get even nastier!

Oooo. I feel a fight coming on.:D

lordshiva said:
Daft!
Is it really a truism to state that the US Legal System wastes billions of dollars (many of them tax-payers dollars) on pointless attempts to fill up scum-bag-trailer-park-trash bank accounts? Or is this some kind of democratic right - the right to be a complete waste of space ('Consitutional Amendment X')?

.[/I]

Sorry to disappoint but it is a right, pace the first amendment, which provides for the right to "petition the government for the redress of grievances."

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/first_amendment.html

There is also precedent for this sort of thing, i.e. suing Satan. I know of one case where the individual sued Lucifer in the 1970's, and the court ruled that Satan (if he/she exists) is a foreign power that the U.S. has no treaty with.

Some more recent examples of suing the Big S and others:
http://www.xeni.net/docs/satan.txt

grey suit

Yes, the case may seem absurd but it's Constitutionally OK.
What of cases like Cash - landrum where something peculiar seems to have occured ... and physical evidence existed??

And then there's always the guy who sued McDonald's for making him fat:rolleyes:

RainyOcean said:
And then there's always the guy who sued McDonald's for making him fat:rolleyes:

I was pleased when McDonalds found a guy who was obsessive compulsive and ate there daily and yet was thin, since despite not really liking their food (not that I have anything against fast food, I enjoy Burger King food but simply find McDonalds burgers to be rather small and with a texture like cardboard) I greatly dislike stupid lawsuits, and enjoy seeing when the defendent has a good argument :)

Really? I'm a vegetarian and so I havn't eaten that stuff in a while, but when I did I loved McDonald's hamburgers and hated Burger Kings. Oh well, different people like different things I guess.:)

Back