• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Athanaton, Glauron, Boralim, Orgon: who are they?

Breakfastologist

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I was reading up on some welsh folk tales and one I found was John Gethin and the Candle. At one point in this story (I won't bother summarizing here- it's linked above and it's very short) we have our local man, John Gethin is being pulled from a circle of protection by the Enemy of Mankind:
The Enemy of Mankind was getting the better of the tug of war, when the wizard said, "By the power of the East, Athanaton, of the West, Orgon, of the South, Boralim, of the North, Glauron, I charge and command thee to suffer this man to live while this candle lasts." The Evil One let go his hold of Gethin and vanished.

Can anyone furnish me with any further details as to who the powers at the four directions are, and where they come from?

These names and asociations with the cardinal points are derived from Reginald Scot's A Discoverie of Witchcraft. They are mentioned in connection with the conjuring of a spirit called Luridan. Little detail is given about the spirits except for their rulerships. I think that Athanaton may be derived from the magical word 'Athanatos' (undying), often used as an epithet for God. Boralim may perhaps be derived from Boreas - the south wind.

It looks to me like when Scott published his Discoverie he put a vast amount of magical knowledge - hitherto only available in manuscript form - into the hands of the people. Many of the magical artefacts and talismans found in England after the 16th century seem to be directly influenced by Scott's work, so it doesn't suprise me that his work even shows up in folk tales...

Yrs.,
DSSh

Back