• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bad Medicine: Daffy Doctors & Medical Mishaps

Doctor ordered to pay for child after failed abortion
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 63976.html
Fri, May 25, 2012
A Spanish doctor has been ordered to pay for the upkeep of a child after a failed abortion meant the boy’s mother was obliged to see her pregnancy through to the end.

In a unique case, a court in Palma de Mallorca ordered the unnamed doctor to pay almost €1,000 a month in maintenance for the child until he reaches his 25th birthday. “There has never been a case like this before in Spain,” said Eva Munar, lawyer for the mother (24). “We don’t know if it has ever happened anywhere else in the world.”

The boy was born in October 2010, six months after his mother had gone for an abortion at the city’s Emece clinic.

The operation had been performed when the mother was almost seven weeks pregnant. The doctor told her two weeks later that a scan proved she was no longer pregnant. – (Guardian service)

Margate GP told patient 'his only hope was Jesus'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-18411881

Dr Richard Scott discussed religion towards the end of the consultation with the 24-year-old man

Related Stories

GP attacks GMC 'faith probe'
Christian GP 'disgusted' with GMC
Christian GP 'crossed the line'

A Kent GP said to a vulnerable patient that he would "eternally suffer" if he did not put his faith in Jesus, a medical watchdog has been told.

The General Medical Council (GMC) heard Dr Richard Scott, whose surgery is in Margate, told the 24-year-old patient that he would not give him medication.

A GMC panel in Manchester heard that the patient was told "his only hope of recovery was through Jesus".

Dr Scott disputes the account of the consultation in August 2010.

The remarks were said to have made at the end of a consultation at the Bethesda Medical Centre in Margate.

After discussing medical matters Dr Scott said, as a committed Christian, he had simply offered the patient the chance to talk about the role faith may have in helping with his problems.

At the four-day-hearing, Andrew Hurst, counsel for the GMC, claimed the doctor had told the man, known only as patient A: "He did have a cure, which would cure him for good.

"His one and only hope of recovery was through Jesus.

"If he did not turn to Jesus and hand him his suffering he would suffer for the rest of his life."

Anonymous witness

Dr Scott disputes the account given by the patient, described by the GMC's own lawyer as a man with a "troubled psychological history".

When the case was first heard in September it was adjourned after the patient refused to give evidence.

The GMC heard that the patient had agreed to give evidence by phone on condition he was given anonymity and without the public or press present at the hearing.

Dr Scott said he was being denied a proper hearing after the GMC agreed to the patient's request on Monday.

An application by Dr Scott's lawyers for an adjournment to seek a judicial review to try to overturn the rules was rejected by the GMC's Investigation Committee.

Radio transcripts

Mr Hurst pointed the GMC committee to transcripts of comments made by Dr Scott on BBC Radio 2's Jeremy Vine Show and on Nicky Campbell's show on BBC Radio 5 live, speaking of his faith and its use in treating patients.

He said medical rules stated doctors "must not express to your patients your personal beliefs, including political, religious or moral beliefs, in ways that exploit their vulnerability or that are likely to cause them distress", and good medical practice stated the "first duty" of a doctor is the care of a patient".

The GMC was criticised over its alleged "persecution" of Christians after the case was first heard last September - which it rejects.

Mr Hurst said the GMC did not have any bias for or against any religion either way and medics could talk about faith - but Dr Scott had simply "crossed the line" and gone too far.

"The GMC's position is not one that is hostile or opposed or biased against Christianity or any other religion," he said.

"Nor does it seek to promote a wholly secular society."

He was then asked by the chairman of the committee who had prepared the transcripts of the radio programmes to be used in evidence against Dr Scott.

"The National Secular Society," Mr Hurst replied.

The case continues.

I live and work in Lanark and Carluke in the west of Scotland and one Creationist doctor in the vicinity must surely have at least five misconduct or malpractice suits in utero. He - and anyone who lives and or works in the vicinity must surely know him - has invoked the bible or foregone prescription in lieu of prayer in five cases I know of, two involving child patients.

Mother 'brainwashed' over home birth dies
A woman bled to death after being “brainwashed” to give birth at home by a midwife who assured her it would be safe, an inquest heard on Wednesday.
By Stephen Adams, Medical Correspondent
6:39PM BST 05 Sep 2012

Claire Teague, 29, died of a haemorrhage after Rosie Kacary, an independent midwife, “ripped” out her placenta, the hearing was told.
Mrs Teague, of Woodley, near Reading, had originally hired Ms Kacary to ensure she had dedicated support during a hospital birth at Basingstoke Hospital.
That was because her first pregnancy had nearly ended in tragedy. She almost lost one of the twins she was carrying and the situation was only saved by an emergency caesarean.

Despite her medical history, Kacary convinced her new client that a home birth would be more fulfilling, Windsor Coroner's Court was told.
Mrs Teague’s husband Simon, told the inquest that Ms Kacary had "brainwashed" his wife into the home birth, by reassuring her it was completely safe.

Following the delivery, in the early hours of August 1 2010, Ms Kacary tried to deliver the placenta, a standard midwife’s task.
But Mr Teague said he was unhappy at the way the removal was performed, telling the inquest that he watched it being “ripped out” of his wife in an “aggressive manner”.
He said: “I was anxious when Rosie started to pull the placenta out. She pulled the cord six or seven times in an aggressive manner.
"Eventually the placenta came out with a lot of force and tugging."

Examining Mrs Teague to see if all the placenta had come out, the midwife told the couple that although there were bits of membrane still inside, they would come out naturally. The midwife then left.
However, she had done the examination by torchlight, as the curtains were closed and the room was dark, Mr Teague claimed.

Soon, the new mother began feeling weak and complaining she was in pain, so her husband rang the midwife. Ms Kacary said it was normal following birth, but Mr Teague kept ringing due to his building concern and eventually she returned.
By then though Mrs Teague had stopped breathing.

On the way to the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading she started bleeding extensively. Surgeons tried to stop the bleeding but she died later that day. Doctors found a third of her placenta was still inside her.

Dr Helen Allott, a consultant gynaecologist, expressed disbelief Mrs Teague had not been taken to hospital earlier.
"In my opinion had the placenta been examined in good light in a conventional manner it would have been apparent that a large piece was missing," she said.
"I have looked at thousands of placentas and this placenta, I must say, I was quite shocked.
"I was very clear in my mind that a very large piece was missing."

Dr Allott said a placenta should never be "tugged", adding: "Simon recalls vigorous tugging on the cord six or seven times.
"That's not the correct way to deliver the placenta."

Asked to comment on Mrs Teague's decision to have her baby at home despite her history of blood loss during her previous labour, Dr Allott said it was a high risk.
She added: "If you've had a previous blood loss you have an increased risk of a haemorrhage happening again.
"If I was the person advising the mother, I would want to know that I was advising her of all the risks."

However, Ms Kacary rejected Mr Teague’s account of events, saying his description of the placenta removal was “quite horrific”.
“If I had pulled anything like that hard I think it would have snapped the cord which is quite easy to do,” she said.
She believed the placenta had been complete and said, if she thought otherwise, she would have advised an immediate hospital transfer.
But she said: “As Claire felt completely well at the time, I'm very sure they would have declined my suggestion to transfer.”

The midwife, who has overseen 96 home births, also took issue with Mr Teague’s assertion that the room was dark.
“"I find it extraordinary that after 20 years of being an experienced midwife I turned into a complete idiot and looked at the placenta in the dark with a torch," she said.

She denied trying to persuade the couple to have a home birth but added: “Claire had a great pregnancy, she had a really lovely spontaneous birth at home and I hope Simon in time will remember that.”

A post mortem found that Mrs Teague died due to a lack of oxygen caused by the severe haemorrhage due to a recent vaginal birth with a retained placenta.
The inquest continues.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... -dies.html

Sergeant_Pluck said:
Claire had a great pregnancy, she had a really lovely spontaneous birth at home and I hope Simon in time will remember that.”

:shock:

The self delusion among any attaining or assuming a professional rank can be astounding in narcissistic doctors, nurses or teachers (or any Narcissist working anywhere?) - but those practising freelance, outside of institutions are probably more susceptible to 'Rasputin Complex' than most.
This is often the case if you compare motivational speakers to their counterparts in medicine or education - to truly convince others that every deed and thought you weave is made of gold, one has to convince oneself.

The "independent midwife" is perhaps more doomed for remaining utterly deluded about what transpired and publicly demonstrating a blithe insensitivity to the bereaved partner - if she'd admitted mistakes her punishment, if any, might be less severe.

Kellydandodi said:
The "independent midwife" is perhaps more doomed for remaining utterly deluded about what transpired...

Yeah, I should think she is now a former "independent midwife".

Barnsley Hospital patient discharged with drip tube in arm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-20376305

Related Stories

Fork removed from man's stomach
Disruption to patients 'limited'
Hospital to pay for Jubilee TV

A hospital in Barnsley has apologised after a woman with dementia was sent home with a cannula tube for a drip still inserted in her arm.

Lily Winfield, 77, was admitted to Barnsley Hospital on 7 November after suffering a mini-stroke.

It has been reported that when she was sent home in an ambulance last Saturday, she was barefoot and wearing only an open-backed NHS night gown.

The hospital said it was investigating what had happened.

'Absolutely unacceptable'
Chief nurse Heather McNair said: "We are very sorry for Mrs Winfield's experience and after speaking with her daughter earlier this week, are already under way with a thorough investigation.

"We expect all our patients to receive the highest standards of dignity, care and treatment and any experience that falls short is taken very seriously and I have asked for this matter to be dealt with urgently."

Mrs Winfield, who also has diabetes, was admitted to ward 20 after suffering a transient ischaemic attack (TIA), known as a mini-stroke.

After she arrived home, the hospital's rapid response team had to be sent to remove the cannula tube from her arm.

Elaine Jessers, a director at Barnsley Hospital, said the situation was "absolutely unacceptable".

"This is not a standard of care that we aspire to and it's certainly not a standard of care that our patients deserve."

Cambridge Hospitals NHS Trust 'operated on wrong patient'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-20461048

A health watchdog is taking action against a Cambridgeshire hospital trust which performed eye surgery on the wrong person.

Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust performed four botched operations, including leaving instruments inside two people.

Surgeons also operated on the wrong part of the body of a patient, Monitor said.

The trust said it was "determined to improve".

It has been ordered to look at the effectiveness of its services and improve the quality and organisation of healthcare for its patients.

The trust also has to report to Monitor every month.

The regulator said that since September 2011, eight "never events" - instances which are never supposed to happen - had happened at the trust, including four between September and October last year.

Wrong lens
Monitor said that the "wrong person surgery" related to a patient who had the wrong surgical lens fitted.

Several patients were attending the hospital for similar operations at the same time, a trust spokeswoman said.

The wrong lens was fitted to the wrong patient and then quickly removed.

The patient did not suffer any ill effects, the spokeswoman said.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

This is not the first time we have called the trust in to explain itself”

Stephen Hay
Monitor
Monitor said it was also stepping in because the trust had failed to give cancer patients treatment in the recommended time and had not treated emergency patients within four hours.

It said the trust was in "significant breach" of the terms of its authorisation and was concerned that the hospital board had not dealt adequately with the range of issues the trust had faced over the years.

Monitor's chief operating officer, Stephen Hay, said: "This is not the first time we have called the trust in to explain itself.

"We are disappointed that the board has not resolved these issues."

Jane Ramsey, who became chair of the trust at the beginning of the month, said: "We are determined to reverse the situation as soon as possible.

"We will be focusing on turning this trust around.

"Our priority remains the care of our patients - they are at the heart of everything we do."

The trust, which runs Addenbrooke's and the Rosie hospital in Cambridge, has been ordered to commission a "governance and effectiveness review".

A board-level "experienced turnaround expert" should also be appointed, Monitor recommended.

Monitor is an independent regulator of NHS hospital trusts, ensuring they have good leadership and are financially robust.

Cystic fibrosis woman died with smoker's donor lungs

A 27-year-old woman with cystic fibrosis died of cancer after she was given the donor lungs of a smoker.
Jennifer Wederell, of Hawkwell, Essex, died at home in August - 16 months after the transplant at Harefield Hospital in London.
Colin Grannell said he believes his daughter would not have agreed to the transplant had she known the middle-aged donor was a heavy smoker.
The hospital has apologised for not giving her that choice.

Jennifer had been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at the age of two and by her mid-20s was using oxygen 24 hours a day.
She had been on the waiting list for a lung transplant for 18 months when in April 2011, she was told there had been a match.
Mr Grannell said the family had "lived all for that moment" for years, and thought it would help Jennifer "cheat" her condition.

She married her fiance David Wederell in September last year, but by February 2012 a malignant mass was found in her lungs.
"The shock immediately turned to anger in so far as all the risks were explained in the hour before her transplant and not once was the fact smoker's lungs would be used mentioned," said Mr Grannell.
"She was dying a death that was meant for someone else."
He has set up a Facebook group, Jennifer's Choice, to encourage non-smokers to sign up to the organ donor register.

The Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust said: "It is very rare for patients to specify that they do not wish to be considered for clinically healthy lungs from smokers.
"This is because the risks are much higher if patients decline donor lungs from a former smoker, and decide to wait for another set of organs which are both a match for them and from a non-smoker, to become available.
"However, we recognise that Jennifer should have been given the opportunity to make this choice.
"We have apologised sincerely for this oversight.

"Regrettably, the number of lungs available for transplantation would fall by 40% if there was a policy of refusing those which have come from a smoker; waiting lists would increase and many more patients would die without a transplant."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-20762437

With hindsight this was a staggeringly bad idea doe their hart was in the right place.

Review after reindeer visit to Yorkhill Sick Children's Hospital
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-20982476

The reindeer was at hospital for a charity event held before Christmas

A review has been carried out after a reindeer was taken round some wards at Glasgow's Sick Children's Hospital.

The tame fawn, which had been checked by a vet, was outside the hospital before Christmas for a charity event.

But a member of staff decided to take the animal inside to allow more young patients to see and pet it.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said the incident was "well intentioned" but happened without the permission or knowledge of managers or senior staff.

Michelle Petersen's daughter was in the hospital at the time.

'Well controlled'
She told the BBC: "My daughter is two and a half and has had two bone marrow transplants, she is immunosuppressed so she couldn't touch the reindeer herself but she could still look at it.

"It was magical for her. She's missed out on so much being in hospital, especially over Christmas.

"It was walked up the middle of the ward so parents had a choice. It was very well controlled.

She added: "These kids have spent so much time in isolation.

"My daughter wanted to see Santa but couldn't because of the risk of infection so this was great for her and great for the other kids."

Internal review
Yorkhill Children's Foundation, which organised the event said in a statement the event "was planned for only the grounds of Yorkhill Hospital and surrounding streets as part of its Christmas Appeal activities".

It added: "However, an NHS staff member decided to take the fawn on an unscheduled visit round some of the wards in the hospital so children could see the baby reindeer. This was not part of our event."

The health board said it had conducted an internal review into the incident.

In a statement, it added: "At no time did the fawn urinate on a child and appropriate infection control procedures were taken with those children who petted the animal.

"The reindeer fawn did not go into any isolation cubicles or have contact with any patient in isolation."

In a statement, it added: "At no time did the fawn urinate on a child.."
What an oddly specific thing to deny. Especially since there is no such allegation in the BBC article...

I'd say the biggest risk for an animal like that would be potential transmission of ticks to patients.

Mythopoeika said:
I'd say the biggest risk for an animal like that would be potential transmission of ticks to patients.

I'll tock to the nurses about that.

Nevada psych hospital accused of sending patients on one-way trips to nowhere
http://rt.com/usa/nevada-psych-hospital ... where-295/

Evidence that a Nevada mental institution is illegally dumping patients into neighboring California and elsewhere has led San Francisco’s city attorney to open an investigation into the disturbing allegations.

The reports, which are part of a Sacramento Bee investigative series, indicate that 1,500 patients were discharged by the Rawson Neal Psychiatric Hospital in Las Vegas since 2008 with one-way bus tickets to out-of-state locations, with one third sent packing to California. However, other evidence indicates that the hospital sent at least one person to every state in the contiguous United States between July 2008 and early March 2013.

According to the Bee’s investigation, in one example the Las Vegas hospital discharged James Flavy Coy Brown, a 48-year-old suffering from schizophrenia, depression and anxiety, with a one-way Greyhound Bus ticket for a 15-hour ride to Sacramento, California, providing him with three days’ worth of medication.

According to Brown, a doctor at Rawson Neal suggested a trip to “sunny California" as the state offers superior health care. The Sacramento Bee reports that Brown eventually turned up both suicidal and in a confused mental state at a homeless services center in Sacramento – where he knew no one, and had no conceivable arrangements for housing or treatment.

An empty Greyhound bus pulls into the Greyhound Bus Terminal. (AFP Photo / Jeff Kowalsky)

According to San Francisco city attorney Dennis Herrera, the evidence uncovered by the newspaper's investigation is beyond disturbing.

“Assuming the reports are true, Nevada's practice of psychiatric 'patient dumping' is shockingly inhumane and illegal," Herrera said via a statement.

Herrera opened a formal investigation on Monday, and dispatched a letter to Nevada’s director of Health and Human Services, demanding that the state disclose records regarding its practice of discharging patients to cities across the country.

That letter includes further evidence provided by the Sacramento Bee, such as patients sent to dozens of US states. Copies of the letter were also sent to Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval and the state’s Attorney General, Catherine Cortez Masto.

According to the Bee’s extensive investigation on the alleged patient dumping, between 2009 and 2012 the state of Nevada slashed its mental health budget to address deficits. In that same period, the number of patients sent on one-way trips from the Rawson Neal mental hospital ballooned by 66 per cent. By 2012, the facility was bussing patients at a pace of more than one per day, sending 400 of them to 45 US states.

In response to Herrera’s official inquiry, Nevada’s director of health and human services, Mike Willden, responded via email that his department was presently reviewing the 1,500-some discharges which involved suspected interstate dumping. Willden suggested that a “documentation error" was behind hospital staff’s failure to properly document discharge and out-of-state travel for patients.

If the allegations are found to be true, the Las Vegas mental hospital could lose its Medicare funding, as it would be in violation of federal laws requiring such facilities to treat their patients until their conditions are stabilized, and with proper arrangements for continuing care beyond discharge.

Yeah, sadly that's a new one on me too. :(

I imagine it's good for their performance indicators.

'Dead' psychiatrist Anatta Nergui fit to work
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-23289802

Dr Nergui was working at Wishaw General Hospital

A cannabis-smoking psychiatrist who asked his secretary to tell patients he was dead has been told by a tribunal he can return to work.

Dr Anatta Nergui was formerly known as Dr Shehzad Javed before changing his name by deed poll.

As Dr Javed, he worked at Wishaw General Hospital. He is currently working as a locum for Derbyshire NHS Trust.

A review hearing ruled he was now fit to return to unrestricted practice.

They said the medic had "gained full insight into his behaviour".

The Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service heard how he told a colleague: "Tell everyone that Shehzad Javed died in peace."

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

The panel is satisfied that two consecutive periods of conditional registration have enabled you to gain full insight into your behaviour”

Carrie Ryan-Palmer
Tribunal panel chairwoman
In June 2009 he refused to go into work and made the bizarre phone call to his colleague and added: "It's not a suicide of the body, but a death of the mind."

He also sent two secretaries £100 gift vouchers thanking them for "being in his life".

Worried colleagues at the North Lanarkshire hospital were so startled they phoned the emergency services.

When police arrived at Dr Nergui's home on 9 June 2009, they found several cannabis plants and evidence that he had been smoking the drug.

Dr Nergui was called before his professional regulator in 2011 and admitted to growing and smoking cannabis as well as making the phone call and failing to see a psychiatrist a few days later.

He was allowed to continue working under conditions for 18 months and at a review hearing last year they were varied but extended for another 12 months.

At a further hearing, the panel was told Dr Nergui was now employed as a locum doctor by the Derbyshire NHS Trust after moving away from Scotland last year.

Grew cannabis
The panel agreed to remove his conditions and allowed him to return to work without restrictions.

Chairwoman Carrie Ryan-Palmer said: "It is clear, from the evidence provided to the panel, that you are making strenuous efforts to keep your clinical knowledge and skills up to date.

"The panel is satisfied that two consecutive periods of conditional registration have enabled you to gain full insight into your behaviour.

"In all the above circumstances, therefore, the panel has determined that your fitness to practise is no longer impaired by reason of your misconduct."

The General Medical Council (GMC), represented by Simon Phillips QC, presented evidence to the panel of Dr Nergui's compliance with conditions and continuing professional development.

He said: "Our position is that it is a matter for the panel whether or not the doctor's fitness to practise is impaired currently, having regard to the information both by the way of background and the evidence before it."

Dr Nergui addressed the panel only to say: "I think my only reason for bringing myself here today was to show the panel I'm here and it seemed to me that the previous panels made a reference that there was a lack of insight, that I had not engaged in previous meetings."

'Nameless one'
The 2011 hearing was told that Dr Nergui informed a secretary he had smashed his mobile phone against a wall because he did not need it any more and cancelled an order for a computer printer for his office, saying he had ordered it "out of greed, not need".

He was taken into custody on 9 June 2009 and assessed at Crosshouse Hospital, Kilmarnock, where he told a doctor he had smoked some home-grown cannabis the previous night and that he had used cannabis in the past.

The psychiatrist also admitted to drinking a bottle of vodka every one to two weeks.

During that interview, Dr Nergui said Dr Shehzad Javed had died and for the remainder of the conversation, he referred to Dr Javed in the third person.

He referred to himself as "Nergui - the nameless one".

Dr Nergui worked as a locum consultant psychiatrist for NHS Lanarkshire and NHS Ayrshire between 2004 and 2009.

At that time he was known as Dr Shehzad Javed until he officially changed his name to Anatta Nergui by Deed Poll on 3 August 2009.

He did not work in medicine for several years after he left his job in 2009 and took up his most recent post in March this year.

It's a tad ironic that psychiatrists can often be nuttier than the general population...

Major hospital blunders including 40 patients given surgery on wrong limb, revealed by official statistics
Almost 150 patients suffered from major errors which are so simple and serious that they are categorised as "never events"
By Laura Donnelly
10:49AM GMT 12 Dec 2013

Almost 40 NHS patients have undergone surgery on the wrong limb in a six-month period, according to new official statistics which reveal for the first time a catalogue of major hospital blunders.
Almost 150 patients suffered from major errors which are so simple and serious that they are categorised as "never events" between April and September.
They include 37 patients who had surgery on the wrong site, and 69 cases in which surgical instruments or swabs were left inside the body.

Total numbers of "never events" have been published before, but for the first time the statistics reveal the details of incidents, and record the hospitals with the highest numbers.

Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation trust recorded the highest number of incidents - four in six months, with two patients "retaining foreign objects" one suffering wrong site surgery and one being given the wrong type of prosthesis or implant during surgery.

Nine more trusts recorded three incidents each during the period. They were The Royal Wolverhampton NHS trust, West Middlesex University NHS trust, South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation trust, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS trust, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS trust, Barts Health NHS trust, University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS trust, Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation trust and Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation trust.

After wrong site surgery and leaving foreign objects in patients, the most common major blunder was giving the wrong implant or prosthesis. This occurred 21 times.

There were five cases of misplaced feeding tubes causing death or severe harm. The wrong drugs and overdoses were given, and the wrong type of blood transfused, causing death or severe harm.

In total there were 148 "never events" at 102 NHS trusts and eight independent hospitals between April and September this year.
NHS England said the data shows that the number of never events recorded is broadly similar to last year.

Dr Mike Durkin, National Director of Patient Safety at NHS England, said: “Awareness in the NHS of these issues has never been greater and the quality of our surgical procedures has never been better. It follows that the risk of these things happening has never been smaller.
“Every single never event puts patients at risk of harm which is avoidable. People who suffer severe harm because of mistakes can suffer serious physical and psychological effects for the rest of their lives, and that should never happen to anyone who seeks treatment from the NHS."

He said the publication of figures for each NHS trust, with details of most of the major types of error, was being published in a bid to be more open and honest.
Dr Durkin said: "There are risks involved with all types of healthcare. And one of those risks – with the best will in the world and the best doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals in the world - is that things can go wrong and mistakes can be made. This has always been the case, and it is true everywhere in the world.
“This publication is not about ‘naming and shaming’ - it is about telling the public about mistakes, and further ensuring that we talk about and learn from them. That is the way to minimise errors and take every step we can to drive unavoidable harm out of the NHS."

Overall, there were 69 cases where foreign objects were left inside patients, including 11 cases of surgical swabs, three cases where specimen retrieval bags were left inside, one patient who had wires left inside and another patient who was left with a needle in their body.
In one incident, a drill guide block was left inside the patient's body.

The figures also showed that 37 patients had the wrong part of their body operated on or treated.
This included four operations on the wrong tooth, an operation on the wrong toe, one patient who had an injection in the wrong eye and one case where a woman had the wrong fallopian tube removed during an ectopic pregnancy, probably rendering her infertile.
Another woman had a fallopian tube removed instead of her appendix.

Other details showed the wrong patient undergoing a heart procedure, and the wrong patient given an invasive colonoscopy to check their bowel.
In another case, the patient died as a result of failure to monitor their oxygen levels, while one woman died from heavy bleedin following a planned Caesarean section.
Another had the wrong type of gas given, resulting in the patient's death or severe harm, and one patient underwent surgery intended for someone else "due to incorrect results filed in notes".

Meanwhile, 21 patients were given the wrong implant or prosthesis. Seven patients were given the wrong dose of chemotherapy, resulting in harm, and five died or suffered severe harm after feeding tubes were inserted incorrectly by NHS staff.
In more than five cases, patients were given overdoses of drugs, with a weekly dose given in a single day.

The six-monthly figures are broadly comparable to last year's figures. In the previous 12 months, there were 325 never events, suggesting this year's number could be similar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nhs/1 ... stics.html

An internal inquiry won't suffice.

Queen Elizabeth Hospital surgeon suspended over 'branding' claim
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-25508672

Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham

University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust is investigating the allegation

A doctor has been suspended over allegations he "branded" his initials on to a patient's liver.

University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust confirmed it is investigating the claims made against a surgeon at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.

The letters were reportedly found by a colleague during a routine operation.

The trust said the surgeon had been suspended until an internal investigation is completed.

I suppose we should be glad they didn't use a spray can of paint. Seriously, that's hellish.

Sweet mother of god. :shock: And the rest of the theatre team stood there and watched him do that presumably? :shock: :shock:

I'm barely surprised. Surgeons are legendarily arrogant and inclined to take liberties with their patients' bodies.

One of my nieces is a senior operating theatre technician. When she was training one of the surgeons used to grab her and thrust it into patients' abdomens, roaring 'Get in there, girl! FEEL that tumour!'

That may've been him. :lol:

escargot1 said:
One of my nieces is a senior operating theatre technician. When she was training one of the surgeons used to grab her and thrust it into patients' abdomens, roaring 'Get in there, girl! FEEL that tumour!'
Grab her what? :shock:

If I tell you that I'll have to kill you.

rynner2 said:
escargot1 said:
Grab her what? :shock:
Much better if left to the imagination.

Back