• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Baskerville Effect - Death By Fear

MrRING

Android Futureman
Interesting - you can be killed by stress alone!

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=19341

Baskerville effect

Baskerville effect: A fatal heart attack triggered by extreme psychological stress. The effect is named after Charles Baskerville, a character in the Arthur Conan Doyle story "The Hound of the Baskervilles," who suffers a fatal heart attack due to extreme psychological stress.

The term "Baskerville effect" was coined in 2001 in the course of a research study that found Chinese Americans and Japanese Americans had a 7% greater death rate from heart disease on the 4th day of the month (BMJ 2001;323:1443-1446). There was no such peak mortality for white Americans. Since both Chinese and Japanese regard the number four as unlucky, it appears that heart fatalities increase on psychologically stressful occasions.

(The stressful nature of the number 4 for Chinese and Japanese comes from the fact that in Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese) and Japanese the words "four" and "death" are pronounced almost identically. Some Chinese and Japanese hospitals do not have a fourth floor or number any rooms "4." Mainland Chinese omit the number 4 in designating military aircraft. Japanese people may avoid traveling on the 4th of the month.)

And another paper:

http://weber.ucsd.edu/~dphillip/baskerville.html

Abstract
Objective: To determine whether cardiac mortality is abnormally high on days considered unlucky.

Design: The study group consisted of Chinese and Japanese (who consider the number "four" unlucky) and white controls (who do not). Cardiac and non-cardiac mortality on and around the fourth of each month was examined for each group.

Setting: Entire United States.

Subjects: All U.S. Chinese and Japanese (n=209,908) and whites (n=47,328,762) whose computerized death certificates were recorded between 1/1/1973 to 12/31/1998.

Main outcome measures: Ratio of observed number of deaths on day 4 to expected number of deaths on day 4; the expected number was estimated from mortality on other days of the month.

Results: Chinese and Japanese cardiac mortality peaks on the fourth of the month. The fourth-day peak is particularly large for deaths from chronic heart disease (13% above expected; 95% confidence interval, 6%-21%) and still larger for chronic heart deaths in California (27% above expected; 15%-39%). Within this group, inpatients display a particularly large, 47%, fourth-day peak (19%-81%). The fourth-day peak is not followed by a compensatory drop in deaths below normal. White controls, matched on age, sex, marital status, hospital status, location, and cause of death, display no fourth-day peak in cardiac mortality.

Conclusions: Chinese and Japanese cardiac mortality is significantly higher on the fourth than on any other day of the month. The results are inconsistent with nine alternative explanations for the findings. For example, the fourth-day peak does not seem to occur because of changes in the patient's diet, alcohol intake, exercise, or medication regimes. Our findings are consistent with the hypothesis that cardiac mortality increases on psychologically stressful occasions.

Thats one of those great coincidences - I was only just reading about that study and it fits in with bone pointing/voodoo death:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17761

I haven't checked it out yet but I was under the impression that most of the studies showing these kinds of periodic deaths were discreditted by later study - like the one about people dying just after their birthday?

I'll need to check tomorrow.

[edit: Quick check now:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/suicide.asp

not on this study but...... ]

It would be interesting to compare this with the number of westerners who die on a Friday the 13th, during the average year.

... although 13 is just unlucky whereas 4 means d.e.a.t.h.

lemonpie said:
... although 13 is just unlucky whereas 4 means d.e.a.t.h.

Aye, agreed. But if this is a purely psychological response then it would be interesting to note any similarities...

I was born on the fourth, and I have always loved death.(don't know if that counts?)

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
The term "Baskerville effect" was coined in 2001 in the course of a research study that found Chinese Americans and Japanese Americans had a 7% greater death rate from heart disease on the 4th day of the month (BMJ 2001;323:1443-1446). There was no such peak mortality for white Americans. Since both Chinese and Japanese regard the number four as unlucky, it appears that heart fatalities increase on psychologically stressful occasions.
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=19341

Or, the number four IS unlucky, and there's the evidence? Maybe bad luck is culture-specific? Choose your number to fear?

Ian

Bad luck - A person believes themselves unlucky so every set-back, every accident, every minor irritation adds to this perception, reinforcing the observation and affecting the victims performance, mental drive etc.

Cursed - See above but with a far stronger belief and drive. Fear is added to the effect, accelerating heartbeat, blood pressure, various hormones and chemicals in the blood till in the end, even the body has to admit things aint great and give up.

I can remember a short story (but not the title or author) where a mysterious death was, in fact, caused by a claustrophobe being restrained and kept in a coffin until their heart fails! The human body is an amazing thing and can perform astounding feats of endurance - so is it any wonder it can also self-harm!

Back