• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bathroom Ghost

If anyone is interested, Ive just recalled that I have an old garden knife with a face in its blade thats was caused simply by years of using it.

WP_20150604_003_zpsqy7gxamo.jpg

We are scrutinising bathroom tiles.
It's like a domestic Rorschach reading.

The bathroom in my family home had the same linoleum floor throughout my entire childhood (up until I graduated from high school and went away to college). It was a sort of swirly marbled motif of diverse earth tones spattered over a lighter - sort of tapioca colored - background. The marbled bits were non-repeating and extended to the floor's margins. It was a canvas much more complex than a Rorschach inkblot but not as dense as, say, a Jackson Pollock painting.

Every day I'd have to spend some time perched on the toilet, from which I could see the full scope of the floor's graphics. Faces, figures, animals, structures, etc., progressively 'gestalted' into recognition. Over the years I mapped out entire menageries, maps, scenes, etc., all of which came to be cataloged in memory. Many faces and figures accrued names during that time. If I were really bored, I'd pass the time simply reviewing the inventory of all the fanciful things I'd read into the swirls.

I didn't realize how familiar and how elaborate all this had become until my mother remodeled and the bathroom ceased to offer such a rich visual divertissement.

This seems more appropriate to a "Looking at Passing Clouds" sub-forum than a Ghosts one.

That knife face is.... startling! I believe you may have the makings of your blockbuster novel right there.

If you have anything that looks like Jesus, you may be able to get some actual money for it.

Following a boiler mishap we had a damp stain on our bedroom ceiling that was the spit of Charles Darwin (or was it Karl Marx?). Either way, the opposite swing of the pendulum :).

But isn't this just the same whimsy as lying on your back on a summer's day and spotting animals in the clouds? Only in this case you're sitting on the toilet and not looking out the window?

But isn't this just the same whimsy as lying on your back on a summer's day and spotting animals in the clouds? Only in this case you're sitting on the toilet and not looking out the window?

Oih! My time on the toilet is my business thank you :D

Perhaps your toilet talk should actually be in that thread called erm, toilet talk :)

Sorry about that, now everyone will be imagining you on the toilet (!). It's either that or lying in the bath...

If anyone knows where I can obtain a Fortean Times - I posted on the forum certificate, I`ll frame it and nail it to my bathroom wall just to remind me :D
*blows raspberry at him* :p

There must be a pareidolia [SP?] thread on this forum, but I'm too lazy to find it. Per the most recent posts, this place will do just fine.
I am, alas, still a smoker, so when I find myself in a parking lot without reading material in hand, I occupy my time with finding Jesus, Elvis, Stalin; whoever, in the oil stains, asphalt irregularities and tar drippings. Do this--never be bored--have fun with your eyes and brain! Works well with lovely dappled trees through a screen door or a window screen--you're sure to see The Green Man once in a while.

There must be a pareidolia [SP?] thread on this forum, but I'm too lazy to find it. Per the most recent posts, this place will do just fine.
I am, alas, still a smoker, so when I find myself in a parking lot without reading material in hand, I occupy my time with finding Jesus, Elvis, Stalin; whoever, in the oil stains, asphalt irregularities and tar drippings. Do this--never be bored--have fun with your eyes and brain! Works well with lovely dappled trees through a screen door or a window screen--you're sure to see The Green Man once in a while.

Im sure its an entertaining past time but its not my cup of tea. Although, I did once make out a face in some tree branches that amazed me...where is your phone when you need it :)

I like finding ents - trees with faces. My kids do it too.:)

I can leave a bathroom ghost story here.

Not my bathroom - my ex's. He had a flat in Outer London (Essex) that he rented out for a few years. It was the entire ground floor of a large Victorian house on a fairly unremarkable street of similar. He was about as psychic as a brick. Less so. And had no interest in the paranormal. The bathroom was a converted room - probably in the area of the original kitchen or a skullery at the back of the house. It was a tiny bathroom - about as small as a bathroom with one bog, a sink and a bath, could get. No idea when the house was converted to flats but he had owned his flat since the late 1980s.

He had some tenants he liked. They paid the rent on time and seemed like nice people (Polish couple IIRC). One night at 2AM ex was woken by a panicked phone call from the male tenant saying they were moving out, even though it was the middle of the night because he had walked into the bathroom and seen a man lying in the bath. Who then vanished, I think, as he was certain it wasn't an intruder (The Phantom Bather of Essex, anyone?) He had no intention of staying. Other tenants lived in it with no complaints after and eventually the ex moved back in.

I'd never take a bath alone in the flat and would only use the bath if I propped the door open. I hated that place - it had a vile atmosphere. He also owned the basement and it had a proper 10, Rillington Place feel to it.

Back