• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Batman Begins

StoryofE

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
'Batman Begins' directed by Christopher Nolan

Casting news:

Christian Bale ~ Batman
Gary Oldman ~ Sgt Jim Gordon
Michael Caine ~ Alfred the butler
Katie Holmes ~ Rachel Dodson
Liam Neeson ~ Ducard
Ken Watanabe ~ Ra's al Ghul
Morgan Freeman ~ Lucius Fox
Cillian Murphy ~ Jonathan Crane
Larry Holden ~ D.A. Fisk

:cool:

nolan's very talented .. he's only 33. of course i loved the very fortean <memento>, but i also liked <following> a lot. insomnia was ok - i mean, above the average but nothing special, imho.

Pity about the title, but thank f**k Neeson isn't playing Crane: Liam Neeson as The Scarecrow would've been a ...nightmare. Ahem. :hmph:

A lady I know describes Cillian Murphy as "beautiful, almost too beautiful" and, even as a straight man myself, I'm inclined to agree with her. Not an ideal Scarecrow choice I'd have thought - I heard that Christopher Ecclestone was lined up for the role, but he's not really youthful enough.

I'd rather have seen Crispin Glover as the Scarecrow. If Ra's Al Ghul is in it, where's Talia?

Michael Caine as Alfred?
Hmmm....could all end in tears.

Great director. From the ones I actually know that I know, great cast too.

Trepidation is my word of the day.

A Closet Dawsons Creek Fan Humours Himself.

I heard that Joshua Jackson (Pacey in Dawsons Creek) was up for the Bruce Wayne part but lost out last minute to Brit actor Christian Bale. Katie Holmes (Little Joey Potter in Dawsons Creek) is in the movie It would have been like Batman:Capeside Crusaders-it would have been odd and probaly would never have happened due to the link, but it would have chuckled me.
Anyhows on a more serious note I read it was called Batman:Intimidation, which sounds a lot better. By the way all the fanboy and movie websites really reckon this film will kick butt and have heralded the script has superb. I guess we've got Hellboy to get us thru the wait. Hellboy is going to be awesome-that is 100% Defo-however I don't know how many average joe movie goers will get the concept-time will tell....or the name. Fingers X'ed

More stuff from AICN:

--------------------------------------------
Thought you might be interested to know I saw a merchandising promo reel for 'Batman Begins' last night. The piece was only 4 minutes long but included interviews with David Goyer, Christopher Nolan and producer Charles Roven.

Most of it was stuff i'd heard before but one thing I hadn't seen and that was the Batmobile!

The only view we got was a production design drawing(god knows how much that'll change) and it looked very much like a cross between the 'armadillo' from 'Armageddon' (except a LOT more low to the ground - like a Lamborghini) and the angular black paneling of a stealth bomber. (I'm sorry that i'm unable to provide the illustration but i only saw this promo reel once!) The wheels (there were 4) were positioned with 2 side by side in front of the grill and two larger wheels at the back.

Nolan said that 'the car chases will be very real and very much in the vein of 'The French Connection' and less in the studio bound style that we have come to expect'

David Goyer mentioned that for the first time in his career, he had penned HUGE action sequences and 'was told by Warner Bros. to 'make it bigger!'...sounds cool. He also said that in this story: 'fans will learn where the Batmobile comes from, where the Bat signal comes from, where the Bat costume comes from and where Batman's skills come from & who taught him'

Production design photos were also shown depicting the look of Gotham, and the gigantic minatures that have been constructed. It looked very much like New York today except much more exaggerated in terms of size & scale, all the photos/designs & city scape miniatures were lit with a rust coloured daylight tint to them (thank god, i couldn't deal with yet another 'Burton-esque' look) and Nolan mentioned the city of Gotham will be an exaggerated-in-size New York city utilising existing locations with additional sets designed by production desgner Nathan Crowley.

Nolan also said: 'what the fans want is a very sincere attempt to tell this wonderful story as well as it can possibly be told and we will do our best to do that'
-----------------------------------------------------

:cool:

Michael Caine ~ Alfred the butler........Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

[Emp edit: Stopping the "nooooooo" form breaking the forum]

Re: More stuff from AICN:

lennynero said:
The only view we got was a production design drawing(god knows how much that'll change) and it looked very much like a cross between the 'armadillo' from 'Armageddon' (except a LOT more low to the ground - like a Lamborghini) and the angular black paneling of a stealth bomber. (I'm sorry that i'm unable to provide the illustration but i only saw this promo reel once!) The wheels (there were 4) were positioned with 2 side by side in front of the grill and two larger wheels at the back.
FYI: According to the current SFX -and your description seems to tie in with what they reported- the Batmobile design for Batman Begins is intended to be close to the heavily-armoured 'urban attack vehicle' Batmobile seen in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. In fact, I've heard that they're going for a 'realistic' take: he's to be 'super-fit', but to remain within the realms of what is humanly possible, and his gadgets are all to be technically feasible. Plus they're to ditch the body-armour in favour of a textile-based costume in black and grey. OK, it sounds like they mean 'grey tights' a la Adam West (but black cape and cowl instead of blue), but I'm betting they'll make some changes...

Batman-Year One had the Black and Grey (no yellow oval round the bat on the chest)

Yeah, but that's not why they've gone for that colour-scheme: black and grey are the 'current' Batman colours in the comics, and that's what the producers apparently want it to tie in with.

(Actually, a recent issue of Gotham Central had a brief appearance by The Batman crouched in the police commissioner's window, looking almost exactly like his Adam West incarnation except that his cowl was black. ...and he wasn't as -uhm- 'broad-waisted'. And it looked quite good. :eek!!!!: Very atmospheric.)

That is the Batmobile from The Dark Knight Returns.

I like it. Looks much better than that crap one from the earlier films.

Zygon said:
Yeah, but that's not why they've gone for that colour-scheme: black and grey are the 'current' Batman colours in the comics, and that's what the producers apparently want it to tie in with.

I thought in the plot the Bat was returning to his old costume for a reason...

Batmobile

Those pictures were a positive affirmation that this Batman movie will be THE ONE!
The Dark Knight Returns is, for me, the best graphic novel ever, a film based on this interpretation, with the director and cast on board has all the signs of being utterly superb.
Did anyone read the recent follow up to The Dark Knight Returns-to be honest it wasn't very succesful and a real disappointment. Great art, but not as great as the original. Story was all over the place, if I remember rightly.

'DKR' was always going to be a hard act to follow... although I liked Year One. Miller defined the End and the Beginning, and should have left it at that IMO...

Re: Batmobile

Redneck said:
Did anyone read the recent follow up to The Dark Knight Returns-to be honest it wasn't very succesful and a real disappointment. Great art, but not as great as the original. Story was all over the place, if I remember rightly.
Felt it was less a follow-up to DKR than an attempt to do for Justice League what DKR did for The Batman. -And I've always felt that the JL don't really work when it's being taken seriously, but then my favourite JL period was the height of the Blue Beetle/GL (Guy Gardner) comedic double-act. Then again, (with the exception of Promethea) I tend to avoid continuity-heavy titles: gravitate more to the Elseworlds (just read the JSA: The Liberty Files collection and was quite happy with it -was verging on Watchmen-lite in tone, which isn't actually a bad thing IMO) and titles like Astro City.

Now that is an ugly batmobile. Looks like a crossing between a lamborghini and a monster truck.

The Dark Knight Returns, is that the one where he teams up with some girl in a Robin costume with large green skiglasses? I remember reading that, seemed odd.

BATMAN-DEAD END

This is a great short film (easily found on the net) with Batman, the Joker, Predators and Aliens, all slugging it out.
The point being, Batman's suit is the original colour scheme and it looks very cool indeed

The costume looks similar to the one in the Civil War Elseworlds one shot ' Batman: The Black and The Grey', but the scene looks lifted directly from Frank Miller's 'Batman: Year One', as does the casting of Bruce Wayne (who in the Miller deal was based on a young Gregory Peck)

I'll go back to my Fanboy silence now... :D

Of course it needs a big cape. A big heavy cape that flows right. (Probably need CGI to do it properly. Only thing in Spawn that was done properly. Must have been awkward having your scenes stolen by an effect.)

More Tidbits:

-----------------------------------------
BATMAN BEGINS rated R? Gary Oldman spills interesting beans...
Hey folks, Harry here with some tidbits taken from a press conference with Gary Oldman in the UK. There isn't a lot, but Oldman is thinking BATMAN BEGINS is gonna be R-Rated... which I'll believe when I see it. Ya know... how come all the rumors on the BATMAN movie rule and all the rumors on the SUPERMAN movie suck? It really is amazing how this thing just continues to be more and more intriguing. Here ya go...
Hey Harry,

Just a quick snippet. Was at a UK press conference for Harry Potter 3 yesterday and Gary Oldman got asked about Batman Begins. Things I gleaned:

He was moaning about the state of movies, how hard it's been to get a follow up to Nil By Mouth funded (I think just another film, not a sequel as such!) and that companies are just happy to plow money into kung-fu filled action flicks. Depressed about this, so seems to think Batman is a little more than just flashy fights and FX etc.

More interestingly, he said that he really liked Chris Nolan's take on the material and that Nolan only accepted the job on the understanding he could do it his way, with little interference. He even said something about 'doing it for half the money', although I assume he means in terms of Nolan's wage rather than budget! To this end, Oldman said that he was expecting the movie to be R Rated. This makes me happy.

Finally, he noted an interesting aside Michael Caine made to him about Superman and Batman, the former being how America views itself, the latter, darker character being how the rest of the world views America. Thought that might tickle your Michael Moore-loving fancy.

You've seen me before, you'll see me again. But for now, that's all Jemma McFatBack knows.
------------------------------------

Re: More Tidbits:

lennynero said:
how come all the rumors on the BATMAN movie rule and all the rumors on the SUPERMAN movie suck?

Well lets see.
Batman Begins has the man who gave us Memento and Insomnia most recently, Christopher Nolan directing.

Superman if it ever gets off the ground has the man who vommited up both Charlies Angels movies, the one, the only McG.
Oh yes you can hear them calling that name out on Oscar night can't you.

Not that the Oscars actually have that much credibility so I won't rule it out entirely.

Hugo Cornwall said:
'DKR' was always going to be a hard act to follow... although I liked Year One. Miller defined the End and the Beginning, and should have left it at that IMO...

Dark Knight 2 was a slap in the face. Feckwit got paid a million to produce something that was so below par he need not have bothered...infact, I suspect he didn't.

My understanding is the motive behind DKSA was primarily money.

That or it was a deliberate attempt to piss off the fan-boys so they stopped asking him when he was going to do another one at cons.

This opinion is based only on having flicked through it in comic stores. Even if it had been really impressive I wasn't going to shell out for the hardback, and now I'll wait until the softcover is a little cheaper. Or remaindered, even.

Whatsisname what wrote the Hannibal Lechter books seems to have been motivated by the same two factors, from what I've heard. And I understand DNA was motivated by them when he wrote the last Hitch-Hikers' book, which is a shame because he changed his mind and wanted to write another one afterwards.

In my DC Universe DK2 didn't happen... The original purpose of DKR was to give a 'Twilight of the Gods finish for Batman in some unspecified future time. At the end of the book, you know his beginning and you know his probable end, both on Crime Alley.

If Frank got paid loads, then that's fine, since when DKR was done, continued royalties for artist writers were virtually unknown. Look upon it as back pay and ignore the product.

Back