• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

BBC1's "Apparitions"

paulsamotis

Devoted Cultist
Surprised to see no mentions of this show... was there only me who watched it?! Jolly good fun in an "Omen" kind of way! :twisted:

Definitely The Omen out of the Exorcist, with a touch of Hammer.

Yeah. lots of nods in there. Nice to have downbeat demons, as well.

I enjoyed it - it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

I fell asleep, as it was so boring and predictable, and improbable too.

Maybe it's because I was raised a Methodist - we don't have demons. :lol:

Seriously, any 'paranormal' plot based on Catholic theology (however flawed or artistically manipulated) tends to come across as superstitious rubbish to me.

The exception is 'Dogma', where the joke is that Catholic theology is so perfectly correct that it appears bureaucratic, so that loopholes can be looked for in it. And it has Alanis Morissette. :D

Dogma, Escargot's view on dull plots, or Catholic theology?

Must admit DOGMA was an excellent film with a real point to make but I do find it a bit easy for the rest of the non-catholic world to use our belief system for entertainment and then laugh at it. I may be wrong (but I don't think so) but you wouldn't do it today with an interpretation of Islams teachings.

We're actually all raised on Islamic superstition, in form of the Arabian Nights. Nobody laughs at the magic carpets and djinns though - they just grow out of them.

I quite like it. It fills the void left by Sea of Souls and afterlife. And Martin Shaw was always my favourite Professional :D

Never thought of that! But actually maybe an older more mature Doctor is due! Certainly Mr Shaw would do a good job!

I only watched the first episode and although I liked a lot of the ideas, I found the plot was way too complicated and I lost heart when I saw an ad for the next epsiode and realised that the stupid plot line I didn't like was being continued.

Although I'm not a catholic, it interests me that the Catholic Church (and actually the C of E, although that's not relevent in this thread) still have priests trained as exorcists and yet rarely talk about it. So it was fascinating to watch a drama that involved this aspect of the church. I felt it portrayed the priest in a very positive light and I loved the fact that when little girl thought her dad was possessed by the demon, she showed the priest the "proof" - the books against god and the priest said, yes I've read those too. Personally the debate of whether or not the man was possessed just because he professed to be an atheist (although obviously other symptoms of the possession developed later) was much more interesting than the Mother Theresa storyline.

I've met a retired exorcist. If he was typical of the breed, they are truly remarkable people. Very like Shaw's portrayal in fact. Their faith is a matter of fact to them; they don't preach, they don't shove their faith down your throat, they're not puritanical or extreme. This guy was a lovely, warm, funny, intelligent man, whose faith was incredibly strong. I'd go so far as to say unshakable. And it strikes me that that is what you'd expect an exorcist to be like.

Back