• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

BC and AD are not PC

Justin_Anstey

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Source

WE'RE DITCHING BC TO BE POLITE

10:30 - 22 March 2002

THE row over schools changing the traditional Christian "BC" dating system has deepened with the education authority hitting back at claims the move is "lunacy".

The new method of dating which replaces the familiar BC and AD in some school lessons is not an issue of "political correctness" but of politeness, says the education authority.

Acting director of education at Gloucestershire County Council Margaret Davies said it was common practice for BC (Before Christ) to be replaced by BCE (Before Common Era) and AD (Anno Domini) to be replaced by CE (Common Era).

Her comments follow a complaint by Gloucester mother Kathryn Doe, who said her 11-year-old son was being "robbed of his birthright" as Christianity was taking a back seat in schools.

Mrs Doe was upset that the move seemed to undermine the teaching of Christianity in schools and she raised the matter with Abbeymead councillor Andrew Gravells who described the move as "political correctness to the point of lunacy".

Replying to Coun Gravells, Mrs Davies said: "It has become common practice over the past decade for the use of BC and AD to be discontinued in many schools - and by publishers.

"This is not an issue of political correctness but rather of politeness.

"Nobody is trying to discount, or minimise, the fact that the Gregorian calendar is based upon the Christian heritage of Britain.

"However, the AD and BC are dropped out of consideration to the number of pupils, and parents, of other religions including Jews, Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus."

Mrs Davies said BCE and CE were thought to be more accurate as it was generally considered true that Christ was born around 4 BCE.

"This cessation of the use of BC and AD is in no way meant as a diminution of Christianity and its beliefs but is rather an ecumenical recognition that there are also many adherents to other religious systems and beliefs and these are increasingly represented within our schools."

Mrs Doe, 51, from Abbeymead, was upset that her son's city centre school ditched the terms AD and BC for dates in its religious education lessons.

She believed the decision to move from AD and BC - and the fact her son had never been taught the Lord's Prayer in school - threatened her ability to raise her son as a Christian.

The Government has dismissed as "nonsense" any suggestion that the dating system was being replaced.

The Department for Education and Skills said children in schools had been made aware of other dating systems.

"Schools are free to use those in addition to the normal BC and AD dates," it said.

"We are certainly not replacing BC and AD and it is nonsense to suggest that."
======================

Source

SHOULD WE BAN CHRISTMAS NOW, ASKS 'PC' ROW CRITIC

10:30 - 25 March 2002

A LEADING Conservative councillor has complained about history being rewritten in Gloucestershire schools by the replacement of BC and AD with BCE and CE.

County councillor Andrew Gravells is to question the council's cabinet over reports that schools have abandoned the use of BC (Before Christ) and AD (Anno domini).

Instead, some schools are teaching children to use the terms BCE (Before Common Era) and CE (Common Era).

Coun Gravells said he wondered if the logical extension of the change is to abandon the use of words like Christmas and Easter - or even to ban nativity plays.

He said: "Substituting the terms AD and BC with CE and BCE is political correctness taken to the point of insanity.

"The entire western world uses the Gregorian calendar based on the birth of Jesus Christ.

"Regardless of religious conviction, it is the way the world measures the passing of time.

"Dates are being made politically correct and history rewritten."

Coun Gravells had written to the acting director of education Margaret Davies after a city mother contacted him to say she feared her son's faith was being undermined by the date changes.

Mrs Davies replied that any changes to dating was not out of political correctness, but out of "politeness" to other faiths.

Coun Gravells has now tabled questions to Coun Charmian Sheppard, cabinet portfolio holder for education, to be answered at the county council meeting on Wednesday.

He has asked Mrs Sheppard if she thinks it would be "polite" to see nativity plays banned in schools
======================

Source

AD AND BC ARE SIMPLY NOT PC

10:30 - 25 March 2002

County tells schools to ditch dates

Education bosses at Shire Hall are being accused of going political correctness barmy.

Instead, the county council wants schools to replace Gregorian calendar dates with new PC alternatives.

BC, or Before Christ, becomes BCE - Before Common Era. AD, or Anno Domini, changes to CE - Common Era.

The move has been condemned by county councillor Andrew Gravells (Con, Barnwood) after a complaint from a parent.

Mother Kathryn Doe, 51, from Abbeymead, was upset that her 11-year-old son's school had abandoned the terms in religious education lessons.

Coun Gravells, who plans to oppose the change at a meeting of the full county council on Wednesday, said: "Substituting the terms is political correctness taken to the point of insanity.

"The entire western world uses the Gregorian calendar based on the birth of Christ. Regardless of religion, it's the way the world measures the passing of time."

The county's acting director of education Margaret Davies defended the change.

She said: "This isn't an issue of political correctness but rather of politeness.

"It's become common practice over the past decade for the use of BC and AD to be discontinued in many schools."

Coun Charmian Sheppard (Lib Dem, St Peter's), county council cabinet spokesman for education, agreed.

She said: "Given that schools are of multicultural faith these days it's not so much a lessening of using Christian terms but using all terms. It's thought also to be more accurate.

"Nobody is trying to discount or minimise the fact that the Gregorian calendar is based on Britain's Christian heritage.

"AD and BC are dropped out of consideration to pupils and parents of other religions. There is no diminution of Christianity in our schools."

n What do you think? Write to the Editor at 1 Clarence Parade, Cheltenham, GL50 3NY, send an e-mail to [email protected] or fax a letter to 01242 271803.
======================

Source

CHRISTIAN WORLD 'NOT HURT BY DATES SWITCH'

10:30 - 29 March 2002

THE Christian heritage of Britain is not being diminished just because one-in-five Gloucestershire secondary schools no longer use the terms BC and AD for writing dates.

And education portfolio holder Charmian Sheppard said she was happy for schools to decide whether to use BC and AD or the more neutral terms, BCE (Before Common Era) or CE (Common Era).And education portfolio holder Charmian Sheppard said she was happy for schools to decide whether to use BC and AD or the more neutral terms, BCE (Before Common Era) or CE (Common Era).

Coun Sheppard was responding to Tory councillor Andrew Gravells who said it was "political correctness to the point of lunacy" for Before Christ (BC) and Anno Domini (AD) to be abandoned in schools.

Coun Gravells was following up concerns of a constituent of his who feared the Christian heritage of the country was being undermined by the switch.

But at a meeting of Gloucestershire County Council yesterday, Coun Sheppard said she did not agree with Coun Gravells' comment about political correctness.

She said: "I am happy for individual schools to decide, depending on their circumstances.

"History is not being rewritten and the use of terminology by a small proportion of schools is in no way diminishing the Christian heritage of this country."

A survey of 40 schools by the county council found 100% of primary schools used AD and BC with 10% also using BCE and CE.

Of secondary schools, 80% use AD and BC, sometimes in conjunction with CE and BCE. And 20% used CE/BCE only.

Coun Sheppard added: "Schools do refer to the Gregorian calendar as being based on the birth of Christ. Those who do use CE/BCE also explain this - along with the fact that other religions and cultures use different systems.

"This is reflected in the fact that in most secondary schools which used both systems, it is the religious education department which makes use of CE/BCE."

Coun Sheppard dismissed Coun Gravells' question that an extension of political correctness could see words such as Christmas and Easter abandoned - and even the end of nativity plays.

She said: "There has been no suggestion for the abandonment of such terms and activities - other than the suggestion by Coun Gravells."

[Emp edit: Fixing 3 big links]

And there was me thinking that CE meant 'Christian Era' and BCE 'Before CE'.

And this may be really un-PC, but I was under the impression that the UK was a 'Christian' country. So what's wrong with using a 'Christian' calendar?

I'll just get me (asbestos) coat.......

OK then: are they gonna change the names of days of the week, each named after "Pagan" gods? This apparently should enrage Christians, Moslems, etc etc, at least by their logic it should.

What are they gonna do about Christmas? Or Easter? Are their schools going to open on December 25th "out of consideration" for those pupils who aren't Christian?

Or, are they going to instigate additional holidays at Id, Ramadan, Divali, Passover or any of the other religious festivals "out of consideration" for a number of sizeable minorities in this country? After all, fair's fair.

What is the problem, for ....whatever's sake?

Yes, what is the problem? Why on earth should schools be responsible for teaching religion?
Non-Christian parents (of which I am one) have always accepted it as perfectly right and natural that they should have the job of passing on their beliefs to their kids outside school and leave the schools free to teach stuff like reading and writing and science.

Truth is BC and AD are now 'Western' terms becuase they have been adopted by our society. Same with Christmas and Easter. At school this preist told us not to have an Easter egg if we didn't go to church. :eek: Yeah, like anyone's gonna do that. :rolleyes:

Mrs Doe, 51, from Abbeymead, was upset that her son's city centre school ditched the terms AD and BC for dates in its religious education lessons.
It's actually not very clear from the articles whether they are changing the terms in all the subjects, or just in religious education classes. And if it's the latter, whether the classes are about a specific religion or an overview of the different religions.

It's a stupid decision anyway. As others have said, the BC AD terms are used pretty much everywhere nowadays - it's just a common set of references.
And it's even more moronic if they've only stopped the use of BC and AD in classes teaching religion - as it's rather historically relevant, just like other systems of dating based on religion.

She believed the decision to move from AD and BC - and the fact her son had never been taught the Lord's Prayer in school - threatened her ability to raise her son as a Christian.
I don't think the offended mother's argument has much validity, though. Like Annasdottir said, why on earth should schools be responsible for teaching religion?

I prefer BCE and CE, simply because they're more accurate. Think about it: Jesus was born around 4 BC, meaning he was born 4 years before he was born.

I was about to do one of my 'OH FER CRYING OUT LOUD!!!' posts... then stopped. As a question, in abandoning the BC/AD notation and replacing them with BCE/CE what is the event which marks the change in epoch? I think its probably the same mythical event... So what's the problem? :D

8¬)

Changing the calendar, that is one thing. But simply change the name, why?

To solve the issues of global time counting, I suppose we could all use X years BP (before present) or Y YA (years ago) - it works for geology :)

That's because in geology the timescales are so big it doesn't matter if you get a few decades wrong. Even a few thousand years. The same can't be said for history.

I once read a marvel story where the time was set after the first moon landing.

Not to mention the problems for historian of the future. '10 years ago' is only useful if you know when the 'today' is.

umm, 1945AD = 57y BP, 20BC = 2022y BP

It's merely a case of referencing to a common point, not an inaccurate historical event that doesn't matter which religion you follow - makes sense to me :confused:

Yes, but it's a bit like the old texts that say 'in the 10th year of the reign of King So-and-so' - you still need the dates of King So-and-so's reign.

We should just scrap it all and implement a Fortean calender:
"Reckoning from 26 Dec 1931AD. Tiffany Thayer adopted a calender of 13 months of 28 days each. The 13th month, between August and September, was called Fort.
-FT129:43"
Would that make it the year 70?

-J

Justin Anstey said:
We should just scrap it all and implement a Fortean calender:

"Reckoning from 26 Dec 1931AD. Tiffany Thayer adopted a calender of 13 months of 28 days each. The 13th month, between August and September, was called Fort.
-FT129:43"
Would this make it the year 70?

-J

Urm, by my reckoning that calander loses 1.25 days a year... meaning that by this time we're 87.5 days out... ~Hmm...

Niles ":D" Calder

Personally I think it would be lovely if we could remove all reference to any religion from common parlance.
(Next time anyone asks me my "christian" name, I'm going to peck them, hard.)
Simply not practical though, religious words have simply become part of secular language, and there ain't nuffin we can do about it.

I go by 'first' and 'last' names myself. 'Christian name', 'surname' and 'forename' always leave me confused - although I can usually guess the last two from the etymology. That's what you get for destroying all your neurones at 18 - those were the days... could drink all night and wake up fresh as a rose a few hours later...Sigh

Sigh. Another "it's political correctness gone mad!" type story. I wonder if it's a school that refuses to say "blackboard"? (What's wrong with that?! It's a decent name for a board that's black for undenominational-cosmic-entity's sake!)

I wonder if these same schools that are so hung up on how stuff's worded actually do anything about the real racism in their schools? Is it a case of "Sure, he's getting beaten up and called racist names in the playground... but he doesn't have to say Before Christ in history lessons!"?

Then again, it could all be a right-wing media whipping up an anti-liberal storm. There was a time when some of the more right-wing redtops ran a story about a Labour council ditching black binbags because they were supposedly racist. This turned out to be a load of rubbish (no pun intended).

Evilsprout said:
Then again, it could all be a right-wing media whipping up an anti-liberal storm. There was a time when some of the more right-wing redtops ran a story about a Labour council ditching black binbags because they were supposedly racist. This turned out to be a load of rubbish (no pun intended).
And then there was all that hysteria whipped up over a council banning 'Baa baa black sheep' from all its schools because it was 'rascist' - that turned out to be one nursery-school teacher introducing her class to some alternative versions.

beakboo said:
Personally I think it would be lovely if we could remove all reference to any religion from common parlance.

Sounds a great idea to me beakboo, as long as the Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Buddists etc. are willing to do the same!!!!!!:D

David said:
Sounds a great idea to me beakboo, as long as the Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Buddists etc. are willing to do the same!!!!!!:D
That's a very good idea, but I can't (off the top of my beak) think of any. There's plenty of Yiddish stuff, but I don't think any of it's religious particularly.

BP has to be used for archaeological dating because thermoluminescent and C14 work that way. I personally think that we should learn the terms BCE and CE because few children know what the hell AD means.

Yes, I'm completely used to using and reading BCE and CE, I assumed the user would be an athiest. Especially when you consider that no-one's really sure about the actual year Christ was born anyway.

My non-fiction reads tend to be quite PC anyway.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The Jews and Moslems have their own calendars, but the 'lingua franca' of calendars is the Christian one, just like English is the accepted language for air traffic personnel.

These PC bods make my blood boil! Grr, I'm off to the whinging thread!

Carole

Originally posted by Stu Neville

Or, are they going to instigate additional holidays at Id, Ramadan, Divali, Passover or any of the other religious festivals "out of consideration" for a number of sizeable minorities in this country? After all, fair's fair.

They already do that in my area.

Looking on Dean Andrew Fulong's page, one of the articles makes reference to CD and BCE...

Quite an iteresting read BTW, although a career limiting exercise trying to introduce historic context to Christianity when you get paid to promote the divinity of the Christ :)

Anyhoo... here the site for tohse interested Andrew Fulong's home page

8¬)

Back