• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bio-Jewelry

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Its this really romantic, or vaguely yuk?

Cultured bone wedding rings, New Scientist

I can imagine there being demand for this in Goth circles though.

Cultured bone offers novel wedding rings
09:30 26 February 2005

Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition

Some will think it a romantic gesture, others will find it grisly. But one willing couple in the UK is about to get the chance, thanks to a government-funded project intended to promote awareness of the issues surrounding tissue engineering.

"It's for people who want to give a bit of their body to each other," says Nikki Stott, a jewellery designer at the Royal College of Art in London. She and her colleague Tobie Kerridge are collaborating with Ian Thomspon, a bioengineer at King's College London.

The tricky part is that the lucky couple will have to provide bone cell samples, for which the team will get ethical approval only if both people already need surgery. The most likely scenario is that both will need wisdom teeth pulling, Thompson says.

Ring-shaped scaffold
During that procedure, an extra sliver of bone can be sliced from the jaw to yield bone cells. These cells will be grown on a ring-shaped scaffold structure, which will slowly dissolve as the cells colonise it.

The rough bone circles will then be given to the designers, who will consult with the couple and shape the bone into customised rings. Each partner will give the other the ring grown from their cells.

One possibility is that the rings could be used as wedding bands. "There is nothing in law that states what a wedding ring can or cannot be made of," says a spokesperson for the Office of National Statistics, the body that enforces the UK's marriage guidelines.

Interested couples can apply through www.biojewelry.co.uk. The team says this is a one-off, and they have no plans to start a commercial venture.

Bio-Jewellry

Rings of bone grown for couples

Couples who want to share more than vows are getting the opportunity to share their bone too in a "bio jewellery" research project.

Using bioglass, a special bioactive ceramic which mimics the structure of bone material, researchers are growing rings made out of the couples' bone.

Five couples are having the rings made. They will be grown from bone cells taken from their jawbone.

The project in London aims to ignite public debate about bioengineering.

"By talking about science breakthroughs as designers, we can make objects and engage the public, their imagination and their desires and so on," Tobie Kerridge, co-researcher on the project, explained to the BBC News website.

The Biojewellery project, a joint effort between designers Mr Kerridge and Nikki Stott from the Royal College of Art in London, and Dr Ian Thompson, a bioengineer from Kings College London, lasts initially for 10 months.

"We are interested in how technological innovation is used by human needs and desire rather than the pure functionality of the innovation," explained Mr Kerridge.

Each couple, selected from 180 volunteers across the UK, will have their wisdom teeth extracted at Guy's Hospital in London.

The eventual product will be a specially designed pair of rings made from a combination of traditional precious metals and the bone tissue of either partner.

Bony issue

Often there are bits of bone left in the gap where a wisdom tooth attached itself to the jawbone. These segments are rich in osteoblasts - the cells which are responsible for forming bones.

"Basically, the material is a baked glass ceramic composite. It goes through a couple of processes and ends up as porous bioactive material which mimics the structure of bone," said Mr Kerridge.

"We seed it with osteoblast, which are the bone cells. They grow into the structure and the material then becomes replaced with bone material."

The original plan was to attempt to take a biopsy from the volunteers, but the ethics and the risks of undergoing such a medical procedure were too great.

Eventually the technique, which is an emerging one, could be used to grow large bits of bone for people with cancer or who need bone replacements.

Several research teams around the world are experimenting with different methods to grow bone.

Scientists have transformed stem cells from adult human bone marrow into nerve cells by transplanting them into damaged chicken embryos.

Another group of researchers are developing an inkjet printer that can create "made to measure" skin and bones to treat people with severe burns or disfigurements.

But bone growing research is still at early stages, and bone which can sustain and survive with its own blood vessel structures, for instance, is some way off.

Early prototypes of the bone jewellery have been made using cow bone marrow.

But, say the researchers, the process is very fragile. It takes about six to 10 weeks to complete the growth process.

The growing process is being filmed with time-lapse photography and the actual making of the rings in the studio is to be recorded as part of the project.

Bone of contention

Design experts and bioengineers are not necessarily thought of as familiar research partners.

But part of the project has been funded precisely to raise public awareness about such bioengineering innovations by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) as part of its Partnership for Public Awareness initiative

"We started off thinking there is a dislocation between how people imagine breakthroughs in technology, and the research itself," explained Mr Kerridge.

"There is no way for us to engage in this medical process yet, even though it will be affecting us in the future. So we thought about giving it a framework around things people know."

Image of the porous bioactive material
The porous bioactive material is fed with bone cells which growth into a ring
The researchers first considered creating bone-made mobile phone covers, but settled instead on rings.

Rings have long been considered to be evocative social symbols for cultures around the globe.

People give certain rings meaning when they see them; on the "wedding finger", or on the finger of religious figures, for instance.

They also publicly represent, in discreet ways, who people are.

The researchers thought they would be the ideal objects with which to experiment.

"It humanises this process and lets people key into it. Through that, they can relate to it," said Mr Kerridge.

It gives the researchers a hook with which to stimulate public thinking, imagination and debate about the ethics of such scientific techniques.

"One couple, Trish and Lyn, are really excited to have this expression of their relationship.

"Others are really interested in the materials science side. Others are from the piercing world and are interested in using bone in piercings."

The project will wrap up with an exhibition at Guy's Hospital, as well as a public debate at the Dana Centre, part of London's Science Museum.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4070522.stm

And i manged to avoid a single smutty pun.

I heard somethng similar once about having diamonds made (grown?) from the ashes of departed loved ones. I have no idea if this is true as I heard it from a friend, but I'll have a look and see if I can't turn something up.

Personally I think its a moderately repulsive.

light said:
I heard somethng similar once about having diamonds made (grown?) from the ashes of departed loved ones. I have no idea if this is true as I heard it from a friend, but I'll have a look and see if I can't turn something up.

Personally I think its a moderately repulsive.

Yeah, it's true:

Human Ashes and LifeGem on the FTMB

well what do you know, it seems it was true:

The trend in recent years has been towards more and more outlandish arrangements for your earthly remains after passing on. It seems that burial or simple cremation isn’t good enough any more. For example, people are signing up by the thousands to be “plasticated” and preserved as life-like mummies after they die. Gunther von Hagens, the German anatomist that brought us the recent Body Worlds exhibition, has also made arrangements for his wife and himself to be plasticated. There is even a company in America that will launch a portion of your cremated remains into low orbit, where you will circle the Earth for up to a thousand years. The late Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek, is among those who have paid $5,000 (£3,175) for this service.

One new scheme, however, is to turn the carbon present in cremated ashes into diamonds. Natural diamonds are produced deep underground where the crushing pressure and high temperature forces carbon atoms into the crystalline structure of diamond. This process normally takes millions of years, but the conditions can be recreated in a lab to produce artificial diamonds in a matter of weeks. LifeGem, offers just such a service for around £11,000. Bill Sefton, from Arizona, is the first person to have diamonds made from the carbon in human ashes. He had his beloved daughter immortalised in this way, after she died last September after a five-year battle with Hodgkin’s disease – tumours in the lymph nodes. Mr Sefton and his wife each have one of the diamonds set on a gold ring, with four other stones being shared among relatives. He says “I can look at the ring and it gives me a good feeling. I can’t say that about the ashes.”

LifeGem currently have a further 100 families lining up for the service, about a quarter of which are wanting diamonds made from their pets. Although it may not be the most economical tribute, a beautiful gem certainly seems the most apt way to remember a loved one.

source

Theres an advert as well that shows this being done, cant remember what its advertising though.

Back