• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049

None of the Blade Runners movies were overly successful, meaning the general audience did not like them.

I think mainly the slow pace and the lack of good story telling.

The first one was absolutely groundbreaking and is, I think, visually brilliant. Granted it may have not resonated to critical acclaim on release but it has since become a classic. And not a kitsch classic. And don’t forget the tie-in to Alien which reportedly takes place in the same universe.
If there was no appetite for Blade Runner, they wouldn’t have made a sequel. I didn’t enjoy it if I’m honest but I did go back and buy a bluray of the correct version of the the original. Unsuccessful? I’d take the money the franchise has generated in a heartbeat.

None of the Blade Runners movies were overly successful, meaning the general audience did not like them.

They were aimed at mature, intelligent people... grownups.
This pretty much excluded young people, who are the main demographic that watches films in the cinema.

Unseen footage emerges.

A creator of Blade Runner prop replicas posted this reportedly unseen footage from the film of the geisha projection seen on the Offworld blimp.

"I believe some of this Geisha footage shot by second unit for BLADE RUNNER hasn't been seen before now," they wrote on YouTube. "I was able to view it from some contacts I found while researching material for the OFFWORLD BLIMP REPLICA."

(via r/ObscureMedia)

https://boingboing.net/2024/03/14/u...f-the-geisha-on-the-offworld-blimp-video.html

I love the slow exposition of the stories in both films, allowing time for the viewer to become grounded in their settings. I find Villeneuve's science fiction very affecting - and appealing to the 'female' side of all us - and metaphysical. Arrival was IMO a work of art.

I have a short personal list of other alternative science- and speculative-fiction films that are the antithesis of the Space Opera 'blast 'em up' genre in case anyone fancies watching something different:

Seeking a Friend For The End Of The World
Moon (2009)
Ad Astra
Predestination
Contact
The Quiet Earth
Children Of Men

They were aimed at mature, intelligent people... grownups.
This pretty much excluded young people, who are the main demographic that watches films in the cinema.
I have to admit, I was a young kid the first time I watched Blade Runner so I was wondering at the time why Han Solo was sulking in the rain.

Back