• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blanets: Worlds Orbiting An Actual "Black Hole Sun"

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This concept image illustrates "sunrise" (or "sunset", if you prefer ... ) where the "sun" (the central component of a planetary system) is a black hole.

I couldn't help but think of Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun when looking at it ...

black-hole-planet_1024.jpg

This image was used as the header for the following article ...

A Japanese research team has submitted a research paper claiming they have determined conditions under which planetary bodies could exist and survive surrounding supermassive black holes. They've named such planetary bodies "blanets."
We Have Ploonets. We Have Moonmoons. Now Hold Onto Your Hats For... Blanets

It's easy to think of black holes as voracious destruction machines, slurping up everything in their immediate vicinity. But that's not always the case. The environments around active supermassive black holes are complex, and last year, a team of astronomers showed that there's a safe zone around each supermassive black hole in which thousands of planets could be orbiting.

Now, the team led by Keiichi Wada of Kagoshima University in Japan has given a new name to these black hole planets - "blanets", which is just delightful - and worked out how these blanets might form from the grains of dust swirling around the black hole.

"Here, we investigate the dust coagulation processes and physical conditions of the blanet formation," they wrote in a paper currently submitted to The Astrophysical Journal for peer review, and uploaded to the pre-print service arXiv.

"Our results suggest that blanets could be formed around relatively low-luminosity active galactic nuclei during their lifetime."

We know that stars can be captured in orbit around supermassive black holes - astronomers have been observing the complex dance of stars around Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the heart of the Milky Way, for decades.

It's also been hypothesised that exoplanets - both orbiting those captured stars, or rogue - can be captured by black holes, too.

But Wada's team proposes a new class of exoplanets, those that form directly around active supermassive black holes at the hearts of galaxies. Such an active black hole is surrounded by an accretion disc, a huge torus of dust and gas swirling around, its inner rim feeding into the black hole. ...

FULL STORY:
https://www.sciencealert.com/we-have-ploonets-we-have-moonmoons-now-hold-onto-your-hats-for-blanets

SUBMITTED RESEARCH REPORT:

Formation of "Blanets" from Dust Grains around the Supermassive Black Holes in Galaxies
Keiichi Wada, Yusuke Tsukamoto, Eiichiro Kokubo

https://arxiv.org/abs/2007.15198

From that painting, I wonder if a planet could safely be that close to the event horizon. Almost certain it would be baked and fried by radiation, and likely tidally locked. (I know it not meant to be scientific.) Do people on the side closer to the black hole age more slowly than people on the far side?

Back