• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blond, Blue Eyed Amazon Tribe?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Here's something I can't find much about on the internet, I was watching the repeat of Bob's Full House tonight on Challenge and one of the questions was "True or False: there is an Amazon tribe who have blond hair and blue eyes?"

The answer was true, but has anyone here ever heard of such a thing? The programme dates from 1984 so it could be research has proven that wrong, hence the lack of online evidence, but it intrigued me nonetheless.

There you go, thanks. It appears from the Wiki page that it might be wishful thinking, and they may have been pale, but weren't blondies.

I doubt it was the Chachapoyas being referenced back in 1984.

'Amazon' covers a tremendous area. There have been references to indigenous groups and individuals having 'fair skin' and / or 'blond' hair. In both cases, one needs to bear in mind that these are relative terms. It's not difficult to find references to fair skin and / or 'blond' hair dating back to the earliest days of European exploration.

The really rare claim has to do with the blue eyes. I can't locate a specific reference to blue eyes amidst all the others alluding to lighter skin and hair.

It could be they were right about the blond hair and wrong about the blue eyes. It was just a passing question in a game show, but they must have gotten their information from somewhere, unfortunately it's too probably long ago to find out.

Doubtful that those widely travelled Vikings got that far south, I suppose? With any luck it'll be brought up on QI next series...

Is this a tribe of amazons, or a tribe from the Amazon area in South America that we're talking about?

Mythopoeika said:
Is this a tribe of amazons, or a tribe from the Amazon area in South America that we're talking about?

Not Amazons as in the mythical female warriors, a tribe from around the Amazon area.

Incidentally, and coincidentally, the latest BBC series, Lost Kingdoms of South America, featured the Chacapoya on Monday night. Anyone interested should be able to catch a repeat or watch it on the iPlayer.

Sergeant_Pluck said:
Incidentally, and coincidentally, the latest BBC series, Lost Kingdoms of South America, featured the Chacapoya on Monday night. Anyone interested should be able to catch a repeat or watch it on the iPlayer.

Yeah, it was interesting but no mention of Blondes or blue eyes.

Showing again:

BBC Four
Thu 17 Jan 2013
22:00

BBC Four
Sun 20 Jan 2013
20:00

I read once about a green eyed girl from a native tribe of what was then Dutch Guyana

I dont think she was blonde though

Some of the people from the Solomon Islands are blonde, despite otherwise looking quite like west Africans. Genetic analysis also revealed their blondeness was not caused by the same genes as the blondeness in, say, scandinavians

Back