• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blood On The Balcony

Loengard

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This took place many years ago, when my youngest brother was about three our four, which would have made me about eleven. I only remember it briefly, maybe because I, for obvious reasons, have repressed the memory. What I do remember, is me and my parents being indoors. My youngest brother was outside, on the lower one of our two balconys. I have no idea what he was doing there on his own, considering his age. I can't recall what happened next. I can however recall me and my parents, finding my brother sitting on the floor of the balcony, covered in blood. And if I'm not completely wrong, he was laughing. Of course we tried to talk to him, ask him what had happened, and tried to search for a wound, or at least something that bled. We found nothing. To this day, I have gotten no explaination for the event. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I seem to have been posting right, left and centre, but I think I have something to add here......

I was recently nursing a woman with Dementia and within ten minutes of leaving her, I returned to find she was covered in blood,...... head, hair, hands, forearms, neck, shoulders. Very alarming as she had a fixed smile on her face and could not explain where she had hurt herself.

We frantically washed and examined her and found nothing at first. Then a trace of blood was seen in a nostril.

She had had a massive, spontaneous nose-bleed and had not reacted as we would, and tried to staunch it. Instead she had transferred it all over herself, with a kind of bemused curiosity, I would guess.

A four year old might have done something similar, perhaps?

That sounds interesting - since nosebleeds rarely hurt, it'd be a way for a kid to bleed but not be distressed by any injury.

Very interesting esp. after my report (linked to above). Some quick thoughts:

1. I'd certainly go for the nosebleed idea - it can produce an awful lot of blood.

2. As wrestling officiandos (or someone who has watched a 'secrets of wrestling' show - I'm such a sucker for anything starting 'Secrets of......') know a smallish amount of blood can be spread around to look pretty impreesive (the Crimson Mask).

3. Isn't there an odd calm feeling one gets when you loose quite a bit of blood which might stop a child from being as frightened? They also possibly don't have such an ingrained association of blood and danger as an odler person.

Emps

When I was at college, a bloke was arrested in a nearby village. He was stark naked and covered from head to foot in blood. He'd escaped from a local mental hospital (now closed). The Police were convinced he'd killed someone, because there was so much blood, and they even did a search for a body.. I can remember them looking in the river. Anyway, it turned out it was a massive nosebleed, though they didn't establish this until about a week after the arrest. I don't think the bloke helped himself much... the first thing he said to the bobbies who asked him why he was covered in blood was "i'm a werewolf"!

They also possibly don't have such an ingrained association of blood and danger as an odler person.

they don't have it at all. on the contrary, they'll be happy to observe the sudden, unexpected appearance of a huge amount of red paint

Memory

"I, for obvious reasons, have repressed the memory"

Not obvious at all.

TBOMK, "repressed memories" is a discredited idea.

What we don't remember are small, unimportant things.

An event such as this, occurring at around age 10 or 11, actually should be one of the most clear memories you have - for obvious reasons.

Since, as you say, you remember it only briefly, it is quite possible that the event never happened. You have a poor memory of it precisely for that reason.

Something else happened - as suggested, he had a nosebleed, and you have turned it into something else.

Another indication of the work of your mind to turn this non-event into something mysterious is evinced by your statements :"My youngest brother was outside, on the lower one of our two balconys. I have no idea what he was doing there on his own, considering his age."

What are you talking about? Why wouldn't a 3 or 4 year old child be outside on a balcony on his own? I was walking to kindergarten at 4.

My brother, at the age of about 6 or 7, had a huge, and very public, spontaneous nosebleed in the Whispering Gallery of St Pauls cathedral in London. For the rest of the day he looked as though someone had slit his throat.

When I was in about the first grade, we were all sitting in class when a kid suddenly mentioned that he felt nausious. The teacher walked him out of his seat to the garbage can and suddenly he started puking up blood. I'd seen many kids puke in school but this was the first time I saw blood come out instead of vomit - I was fascinated. Most of the other kids (and the teacher, iirc) just watched on in shock. A few of them giggled nervously. Even the kid who was puking would giggle in between heaves (I remember feeling relieved when he did that as to me his giggling meant he wasn't in pain and that it wasn't serious - just weird). All I remember afterward was him leaving school.

Rude Rube.....

One of the endearing qualities of this Message Board is that people can post incidents for comment that may indeed seem trivial, overblown or far-fetched (to some) but are treated with respect, and often great kindness.

I am saddened by your sneering tone Rube, Loengard was disturbed by an incident in his childhood and seeks to make sense of it.

I think eveyone else has tried to do that for him.

Back