Body Modification

Bilderberger

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Not one noted for his philospohical output on life BUT Ozzy Osboune seems to have it right when he said.......

"If you want my opinion on tatoos, and you want to be f*****g different, don't have one."

As with many things in life, the attempt to be different leads people into becoming all the more the same.

chromehalo

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
body mod's

Has it ever occured to you guys that people get piercings and tattoos because they like them,not to shock others or 'be different', and that it's other people that have the problem?
Sure, i understand that they don't go down too well at job interviews but that's due to the interviewers prejudice isn't it
I've always wanted scarlet red hair and it's my work that prevents me from having it, i'd probably work better cos i'd be happier but working in an office means it's a no go.
People should be able to look as they wish in this day and age but it's 'stick in the mud' social pressure that stops them.
How would you like it if they banned your cardigans and slippers?!

A

Anonymous

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I hate it when people get piercings/tattoos because it's trendy or looks cool. I find that to be on par with women who get breast implants to only please their husbands/conform to society's standards/whatever. The local news did this segment on this young woman who got her ear cartilage pierced because it was trendy, and it got infected, and now she needs plastic surgery because the ear ended up becoming severely deformed. I was very upset when I saw this and muttered some pretty choice words at the TV.

I have several piercings, and I investigated fully what the dangers would be. I researched them online and read many horror *and* happily satisfied stories. I read reviews about the various piercing parlors in my area, and chose the one with the best reputation. I thought through it long and hard, and because of circumstances waited several months to get pierced (ear barbell and eyebrow). When someone doesn't completely think through their choice to get pierced/tattooed (including how they'll look when their 80 yrs. old or if they'll be able to find a job) I can only wonder how they badly they make decisions in other parts of their life.

I think people have to decide wisely about anything they do to their bodies, be it piercings, smoking, drinking alcohol, doing drugs, eating, exercising, having sex, etc. I don't care if you're a pierced, vegan pothead who's only had one sexual partner and works out 3 times a week, or if you're a swinging party guy/gal who loves red meat but doesn't drink or smoke; whatever, as long as you know the consequences and have weighed the pros and cons. Do whatever you want, but be informed about your choices!

Also, aesthetics is partly, but not only the reason for my body mods, and, as I've stated before, it cheeses me off when people do it for only that one reason. I may be overly-sensitive, but I actually took an Anthropology class on body modification, and there are many more reasons for it than simply attention, including but not limited to: expression of renewed strength (for abused women or those that felt inferior because of their former station in life), a symbol of adulthood/a passage into a new part of life, a critique of the body's role in society and how society values it according to how well it fits the norm, a spiritual/religion sign of ultimate devotion, proof of physical strength, etc.

My main reasons for getting pierced, while guided by their aesthetic worth, were primarily because I wanted to retake control of my body. I had severe medical problems for a while, and it was that uncertainty, the fact that my body could betray me, that I think spurred my walking into the piercing shop. I had been contemplating piercings before, but I finally had the courage, the strength, to do so after I recovered. For me, it's an expression of my dominion over my body, a symbol of my physical strength, and my connection to a different part of society (that is becoming more and more accepted), and I guess that's what the tiger guy, the tattooed ladies, whoever, are all doing.

Of course, I live in Austin, aka the liberal enclave of Texas, so I can say that there are so many students who walk around looking like me that it's not weird anymore, and that most of them can get jobs either way. I was admiring the Wendy's cashier's nose piercing the other day, and my body mod Anthro professor (a nice woman in her early 40s) sported an eyebrow piercing the entire semester.

Okay, I've blathered on long enough, sorry about the long-windedness! :D

FelixAntonius

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
carole said:
Nowadays people have gone in for all sorts of piercings, tattoos and body modifications. Something I haven't noticed yet: the lip disc like some of the Amazon indians wear.

Only a matter of time, I suppose.

Carole

I regret that I saw a woman with a 1" plug in her bottom lip, at a car boot sale back in the summer Carole.:(

She was white & aged about 40, so no excuse for ethnic reasons or inmaturity!!!!!!!!

Pinklefish

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I don't have any piercings and nor do I want any, but I can understand and respect the wishes of those who do. I think when people ridicule those with piercings, it's just because of the old fear of what's different.
Most people on this board would claim to be open-minded, but the generalisms being thrown about here seem to make me think otherwise. You can't possibly know the motivations of all the people who ever wanted a piercing, or a tatoo or any other mod for that matter.

Does anyone have any opinions about other body mods, like scarification? It appeals to me if only for the scab picking element.
:D
pinkle

punychicken

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Stu Neville said:
God yeah - I had several piercings in my ears, including one in the cartliage bit at the top which hurt so much I had to take it out after a few days (couldn't sleep even, and I've got a high pain threshold) so what it'd feel like in the trouser department I'd rather not dwell on :eek:.

Prince Albert, apparently named after Queen Victoria's consort, who allegedly had one: as Jack Dee pointed out, there's no indication of this on the Albert Memorial :).

Stu

and the PA feels great (as posted by me elsewhere on the board IIRC).

One or to *ahem* extreme example on the BME website too.

I agree with MsClaireVoyant on the tongue, it doesn't hurt as muchas you would think. In comparison to the cartilage in the ear (which was agony as Stu Neville noted). I do remember posting something about this kinda thing before so I appologise for any repetiton but from experience:

Tongue, eyebrow and lip no problem.
Septum (middle bit of the nose) VERY sensitive for about a week after (and you get a weird smell occuring too :eek: )
Ears, the cartilage was a pain and there is no going back from a stretched lobe. I am stuck at 6mm now (was 10mm which allowed for interesting cigarette through lobe tricks in the pub).
Nipples are painful to get done and take an age to heal (beware of aging sag too!!)
Everything lower just gets all jumbled up but it can be rewarding from a pleasure point of view (once healing has finished and you are back up to speed so to speak).

Anyway, a good publication that might help you to grasp at the motivations behind all this is the re:search, modern primitives which covers regional modifications, trends, techniques and personal accounts (tattooing piercing and scarification are covered).

Incidentally I look quite normal seeing I have only my earlobe and eyebrow visible to the public. The lip and ears have since passed into the history of my youth.

Opinions on other forms of modification? As long as it is done to the willing by the trained and is all consensual, why not? Just make sure the motivations are correct and its not all just a fashion statement. Rings and things can be removed but ink and scars and removal of pieces is a tad more permanent. Though that maybe what the individual is seeking.

intaglio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
punychicken said:
...Nipples are painful to get done and take an age to heal (beware of aging sag too!!)
But if you have your nipples pierced and your ears pierced then age sag need not be too much of a problem ... :D

ogopogo3

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
carole said:
I've always imagined that having one's tongue pierced would hurt like hell - I mean really hurt . . .

When my mother returned from a trip to Malta, she brought me some postcards featuring wax museum figures performing various acts of medieval torture.

One postcard featured tongue piercing. It used to be done as a punishment for a first offense for blasphemy.

Great. Agonizing tortures of the past are being embraced by the youth of today for shits and giggles. That's a sure sign society's on the upswing.

Not to mention their enhancement to a BJ is minimal at best.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any opinions about other body mods, like scarification? It appeals to me if only for the scab picking element

I imagine that a lot of people who go in for scarification do it for the look aswell, ive seen some really good art simply scarred out on someones body, although i wouldnt do it myself (although i dont know why really) i think that if it is well done it does look good. With self scaring of course there is also the depressed element, although i can honestly say that when i tried it out on my leg it was more out of curiosity and bordem than because i was unhappy in anyway

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

punychicken

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Never attempted branding or scarification but I do have several bigish scars from a road accident when I was 17. Initially I was more than a bit pished off with them. But their existance (on me) now taps into a deeper sense of history that has played itself out on my flesh (I know what I'm talking about, honest!).

And in a way it is this sense of wearing a scar, tattoo or modification that can mark out or declare to the 'tribe' or family that you as an individual have passed onto a new stage in your life.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Spookyangel

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I think tattoos look tacky to be honest, but then I have friends who have them and they like them, so I keep quiet. lol
I just wonder what these ppl with permanent modifications to their bodies will do when they are older?
An old woman with a rose on her shoulder would be bad enough, but an old woman with cats whiskers? :err:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
A

Anonymous

Spooky's just being duplicitous. I know for a fact she has piercings she can't disclose in polite company! ;)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
A

Anonymous

I agree with every word there Caroline.

And good god woman, you're damnably sexy when you're angry ;)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
A

Anonymous

Ogopogo said:
When my mother returned from a trip to Malta, she brought me some postcards featuring wax museum figures performing various acts of medieval torture.

One postcard featured tongue piercing. It used to be done as a punishment for a first offense for blasphemy.

Back in the Mayan Classic, rulers used to perform blood sacrifice by peircing with a stingray spine. Women pierced their tongues and men their penises. the blood was collected and a ritual performed by mixing with stuff (Can't remember what off top o' me head, but i'm sure Copal incence was invovled) and burning it. thus summoning a 'Vision Serpent'. the whole affair can be Viewed on 4 Lintels taken form the site of Yaxchilan, showing the ritual performed by Bird Jaguar and Lady Xoc, on display at the British Museum

Sorry but all this just made me think of that :D

Spookyangel

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
So does that mean Caroline, that you find me saying I don't like tattoos or piercings offensive? Sorry, but I didn't intend to offend anyone. I just don't like them. I've never said to anything to any of my friends about their tattoos/ piercings. Hey, it's their choice, just not mine. :confused:
Piercings are another of my irrational fears I'm afraid. I can't even look at someone with pierced ears putting earrings in. *shudder*

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Beakmoo

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Regarding judging people with tattoos, I have to say I used to, till I discovered this board, and the fact that nice, intelligent people can look like people I used to avoid. So the board has actually improved my personality. :)

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I'm impressed that she is still doing the rounds but (if that picture is anything to go by) she looks a real mess - possibly what she was going for but she could have just go the effect by going to cheaper plastic surgeons.

Artist's plastic surgeries defy beauty standards

French woman undergoes numerous cosmetic procedures

Updated: 1:40 p.m. ET April 23, 2004NEW YORK - French performance artist Orlan, who has undergone numerous plastic surgeries to transform her face and body to challenge traditional perceptions of beauty, says art “has to shock.”

And with her carnal art — which has included reshaping her face to resemble Zimbabwe’s Ndebele giraffe women and performing during her surgeries — she achieves that end.

“The whole idea of (my work) is to be against the idea of social pressure put on a woman’s body,” Orlan said through an interpreter Thursday during a discussion of her work at Manhattan’s Museum of Arts & Design. The 56-year-old artist was joined by Dr. Dimitri Panfilov, a plastic surgeon from the private clinic, “Nefrititi” in Bonn, Germany.

Orlan, whose only noticeable cosmetic enhancement was a pair of bulging saline implants embedded over her eyebrows, said, “I am against the ideas of normal beauty.”

Surgery and makeup
For Orlan, plastic surgery isn’t tummy tucks, liposuction, breast reduction or lip augmentation. It’s an expression of the sublime and grotesque, eccentricities carved into human flesh and sculpted in living bone.

Orlan’s work is graphic and bizarre, a mixture of the absurd and exotic.

During a multimedia presentation, she showed a 40-year history of her work, which began with black-and-white nude poses and ended with thematic performances of her undergoing plastic surgery in graphic detail.

Orlan’s results attempt to resemble nonwestern images of beauty, like the Ndebele giraffe women, who lengthen their necks by wearing dozens of tight neck rings.

Other images she conjures through surgery and makeup are that of a Persian Mangbetu woman, whose head is wrapped in a complex braid, and an Olmec monarch, whose nose is elongated artificially in a death ritual.

Orlan says her carnal art rebels against the Christian revulsion to pleasures of the flesh, and consists of “mutant hybrids,” a combination of tribal art with modern technology.

'An around-the-world tour of beauty'
“This is an around-the-world tour of beauty,” she said.

More shocking perhaps are Orlan’s performances during her surgeries, some of which have their own thematic motifs. During one surgery, she is dressed as a Madonna figure, holding up a large black cross in one hand and a white cross in the other, while the doctors and nurses, in costumes, peel back layers of bloody skin.

Although Orlan says her plastic surgery performances are painless, her work is permeated with a faint sense of masochism.

“My work is against the idea of pain,” she said. “Pain is not good as a form of redemption.”

Even the blood and flesh discarded after her surgeries are used. For one piece, she encased a piece of her flesh in glass and attached it to a tableau.

“The body is a sculpture and a pedestal,” she said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4816435/

Emps

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
In nursing/care work we have to learn how to deal with wooden legs, prosthetic hands, glass eyes, colostomies, catheters, you name it, we can handle it.

In 20-30 years there'll be short courses on Care of Piercings and Body Modifications, and young student nurses will giggle when they see their first Prince Albert. :rolleyes:

hallybods

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I have read all the replies on this thread and have found many people's views to be the norm. I myself have serveral large tattoos and also have my nose and lip pierced. Because of my tattoos at times I have been treated pretty shabbily. I have had one man snigger to his friend and ask whether I was a man. I also have been followed around shops because they think I look like a thief. Most of the time people just stare.

I recently did a presentation on tattooing for my college course and there is more to it than shock tactics. The practice comes from the dawn of time and has been seen at different times as being a story of the wearer's life and a form of punishment. The whole subject is facinating. I urge you all to see for yourself instead of dismissing it outright.

ArthurASCII

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
hallybods said:
The practice comes from the dawn of time and has been seen at different times as being a story of the wearer's life and a form of punishment.

True, Hallybods (or should that be "holey bod" ;) , but IMHO today's tattood-types are mostly fashion victims and attention-seekers who cannot wait to reinforce their self doubts about their "body art" by justifying their actions at every available opportunity to those who couldn't care less aout their "soon-to-be-ugly mauve smudges" body art. They are not participants in shamanistic rites, and mutilation by branding or tattooing to show ownership or to punish a thief or a rapist is surely not in the same category as self-mutilation.

In the words of David Bowie:

"Oooooooh da da da da fashion"

hallybods

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
In my experience Arthur I find that of all the tattooed people I have met only a handful have had them done because it is in fashion. I had them done because I like them and each one means something to me that is very personal.

I would prefer if everyone with tattoos had them done for a symbolic reason, but I look at it this way, if it's not hurting anyone or affecting their way of life so what difference does it make?

As for attention seeking, hmm actually I hate being the centre of attention which is a real paradox because the tattoos tend to cause me to get it.

(Being Devils Advocate) As for you not caring less - well if you don't really care then why are you posting on the subject? ;)