• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

bonekickers???

tilly50

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Did anyone watch the new BBC series Bonekickers last night (8th July)? If so what did you make of it?

It was utterly dismal. Bad writing, bad acting & no idea of what on earth it was trying to do.

Time Time meets the Da Vinci Code, complete tosh. Long standing Forteans and other fans of the weird will see the olot twists coming a mile off...

I thought it was quite entertaining if you're in the mood for TV fluff...

Utter twaddle, and badly acted twaddle at that.

Timble2 said:
Time Time meets the Da Vinci Code
... meets Indiana Jones.

An excerable mish mash of politically correct tripe.

I watched it open-mouthed, but burst into laughter as some of the cast began swinging to and fro on ropes a'la Gladiators.

I felt as if I'd been robbed of some of my license fee!

I CERTAINLY won't be watching it again :nah:

I'm really sorry I missed it now. :( It sounds bad enough to be good.

I think the name does it no favours at all. There must have been someone during production who thought that it could do with a better name than Bonekickers.

Reading about it in Radio Times was enough to send a shiver down the spine... I hate it when light entertainment programs try to get political.

Well I thought it was rubbish so I thought I'd check out the reviews, this was my favourite. "Dear BBC, WTF! Yours sincerely, Astonished of Burntwood." :)

ArthurASCII said:
I watched it open-mouthed, but burst into laughter as some of the cast began swinging to and fro on ropes a'la Gladiators.

Yes, I laughed out loud at that too.

I did think there was one bit that was an accurate portrayal of how professional archaeologists operate. The bit right after the climax.

They've just nearly been killed, they've found and then destroyed what may be the most important archaeological artefact ever discovered, and watched two people burn alive before their very eyes. What do they say in response?

They say, "Can we go to the pub now?"

This, I feel, is *exactly* what real professional archaeologists would say. :lol:

I thought I'd watch the second in the series to see if would get better as it developed. :(

"Virginia Creeper!" :rofl:

It would be great for kids, if it wasn't for the gratuitously unpleasant throat cutting, half way through.

Oooh! Look! Clues pointing towards a special sword! I wonder what special sword they might have in mind? (answers on a postcard, please)

The female archaeologist having her chest autographed by a Presidential candidate, like he was a rock star, seemed really unlikely. Not that a female archaeologist wouldn't get her chest out, given the right circumstances, but I doubt any potential President, would risk the possible bad publicity.

Really, really, unlikely and contrived and although I've seen worse and will be watching it again, even made me miss the demon hunting Anglican priest, 'Strange,' whose series got dropped after the first season. Even that seemed more realistic, demon haunted vestries and all!

tilly50 said:
I thought I'd watch the second in the series to see if would get better as it developed. :(
It didn't did it, absolute rubbish!

I just caught up with the second episode on the BBC iPlayer.

In all fairness, it's a fairly enjoyable slice of nonsense, even if the plots are absolutely mad as a spoon.

I have to say though, I did several archaeology modules when I was at university, and I've NEVER heard of archaeologists being referred to as "bonekickers". God knows where they got that name from.

Hugh Bonneville's character is the only one who is particularly believable as an archaeologist, if only because he's an alcoholic.

Back