• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bonsai Cats—Prank Or Sick?

A

Anonymous

Here is how to grow bonsai kittens:

http://www.bonsaikitten.com
...Method
At only a few weeks of age, a kitten's bones have not yet hardened and become osseous. They are extremely soft and springy. In fact, if you take a week-old kitten and throw it to the floor, it will actually bounce! We do not recommend that you try this at home. The kitten may bounce under the furniture and be difficult to retrieve, as well as covered in unsightly household dust. However, the flexibility of the kitten's skeleton means that if the bones are gently warped at this early age, they can be molded into any desired shape. At Bonsai Kitten, we achieve this by placing the kitten into a rigid vessel soon after birth, and allowing the young cat to grow out its formative time entirely within this container. The kitten essentially grows into the shape of the vessel! Once the cat is fully developed, it is removed (or the vessel broken to remove it!), producing the lovable, furry pet you've always wanted, but it remains in the shape you've always dreamed of! There is virtually no limit to the eventual shape of your pet.
icubedmycat.gif

Watch out for the superglue!

I think its a prank,on the news page is a link for immortality
http://www.alexchiu.com/

Wide Weird Web
sakina:_omg:

Golly;and I thought Timecube was the top.....................

The kitten thing has been around for years. It's not real but it is sick IMO. :hmph:

MIT prank

:miaow:

For those few fortunates who have no idea what all the fuss is about, the Bonsai Kitten site was developed in December, 2000 by a student or students at MIT, and was first hosted on the MIT servers. The site purported to be a commercial venture, that of developing "Rectilinear Kittens" by stuffing young kittens in a rectangular glass jar, sealing their rectums with Super Glue (to prevent them from defecating inside the jar), feeding them through a tube in the jar, and ultimately to attach little handles to the finished creation so the proud owners of the Bonsai Kittens could carry them around. The site is complete with a section of 'torture tools' for 'do-it-yourselfers' and invites interested parties to email for prices. An outraged cry by hundreds of animal lovers convinced the hosts at MIT that this site did a disservice to that august institution of learning, and the site was subsequently pulled down just eleven days after its creation. Since then, Bonsai Kitten has moved (and been shut down) several times, but has apparently found a permanent host at rotten.com, which is said to host things that make Bonsai.com look like a Sunday picnic

Student prank after all
sakina

like you could really grow donut shaped kittens :rolleyes:

You do *know* it's not real, don't you? Can you say "Photoshop"?

The trouble is, there might be some sickos out there who do not realise it's a hoax and 'try it at home' . . .:eek!!!!:

Carole

oh please its so obviously fake. The complaints they get are however immensly amusing.

fake it might obviously appear to us, MAO, but you'd be surprised at how thick some people can be . . .

Carole

carole said:
fake it might obviously appear to us, MAO, but you'd be surprised at how thick some people can be . . .

Carole

Yeah, but you can't ban everything just because some people are stupid

True . . . and no, I don't want a bonsai-kitty set for Christmas . . .

:rolleyes:

Carole

carole said:
True . . . and no, I don't want a bonsai-kitty set for Christmas . . .

:rolleyes:

Carole

Looks like your rotating kitty got scared and scarpered Carole.

Can I risk incurring the wrath of the kitty-loving board and say I thought it was quite amusing...

Orbyn said:
You do *know* it's not real, don't you?
Ya think? :rolleyes:

I've never been known to let taste get in the way of a good laugh, but I didn't think it was particularly funny. The dog in a shell, now THAT'S funny. :heh:

Can I risk incurring the wrath of the kitty-loving board and say I thought it was quite amusing...
You'll burn in hell for all eternity Mr. Sprout:devil: :cool:

Been surfing and somehow wonder if this is
related to the Cuberians??

icubedmycat.gif

sakina:headbutt:

Just looks as strange, and them that Alex Chui............

Yikes, hope my mam doesn't find that 'dog in a shell' site. It is just the sort of tacky ornament she would decorate the house with. Indeed she'd collect all of them.

thats kinda nice, the pics are interesting.
Some really cute
Cats love to play with mice,
Why not computermice?

sakina:miaow:

Pardon me for reviving an old thread, but I hadn't heard of these until today when i recieved this in my inbox;

"> I just received this campaigns-email to shut a website that promotes
> and sells so-called "Bonsai-kittens" - cats that have been inserted
in
> a
> glass container after birth to grow into the shape of the container.
> You
> might think it's a joke, but they are dead serious and have a whole
> gallery
> of pictures showing cats in mini-glass containers. it's absolutely
> disgusting.
>
> The campaign needs 500 signatures to get the site closed
> officially - have a look at http://www.bonsaikitten.com/bkmethod.html
> < http://www.bonsaikitten.com/bkmethod.html>
> to see for yourself It's appaling!
>
> Sign the list and send on to as many people as possible. Just click
> 'forward', add your name, and then send to EVERYONE!!!!!!"

Shall I email the first name and tell her it ain't so? Or shall I leave it?

Oh God

Yes. I heard about this about a year ago, under the impression that it was real. I immediately called Peta (People for the ethical treatment of animals) and they told me it was under investigation, then they emailed me to let me know that it had been found to be a joke. I was glad that no cats had suffered this horrific torture.
As to anyone who thinks that this is funny (in ANY way): No offense, but I think you are sick as hell. :(
I just don't know what it would be like to have no compassion. Hope I never will....

Re: Oh God

MsClaireVoyant said:
As to anyone who thinks that this is funny (in ANY way): No offense, but I think you are sick as hell. :(
I just don't know what it would be like to have no compassion. Hope I never will....
:rofl:

Having looked after two cats for several years, I can assure everybody that a few moments thought would show you that keeping a cat in a jar, such as those described, would be almost certainly impossible. The smell alone would be enough to give the game away. :eek!!!!:

As to keeping kitties in cubes as children's toys...

No, I'm afraid the joke is not on poor puss, as much as on those who think with their hearts and not with their heads.

My highly acute sense of prank was tweaked when I found the site listed under Urban Legends on Yahoo. I think it's fairly funny, but it worried me when I saw their page about all the loonies who ask for more details. I receive quite a few of those awful chain mails about it, I used to respond with the relevant Snopes link, but I don't bother now. The same people send me awful pro-life propaganda too and seem convinced that Microsoft will give millions to various charities if they fill my inbox with sappy junk.

Kitty (card-carrying member of the RSPCA and devoted animal lover, pro-choice, incidentally)

KittyRice said:
Kitty (card-carrying member of the RSPCA and devoted animal lover, pro-choice, incidentally)
Glad to see you're still patrolling the MB, Kitty!

:hello:

Thank you, still lurking, specially now 'you know who' has gone back to the crypt. Someone has to keep you lot from being too sensible.

Kitty.

Back