• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bowling for Columbine

A

Anonymous

Bowling for Bush

From Empire magazine

It could be argued that calling for gun control in America is a mug's game if ever there was one. But with a little help from his home PC, maverick American director Michael Moore has succeeded where many before him have failed. He's managed to garner a more than decent US box office response to his new indie film, the anti-gun documentary Bowling for Columbine, by sending out thousands of e-mails to his supporters encouraging them to go and see the flick and rile a certain Mr Bush while they're at it.

Attacking a topic close to many American hearts, Moore was understandably concerned that his uncompromising exposure of the Yank's love of all things gun-shaped could have fallen well and truly flat with his countrymen and disappear from US cinemas without a trace. And convinced that Bush's plans for war against Iraq and the Washington sniper killings of the past week providing an even more timely backdrop for his film, the spirited fella set out to stir up some serious trouble.

Just as he whisked up support for his anti-Bush - and almost pulped - book 'Stupid White Men' and sent it to the top of the Amazon charts, Moore sent an e-mail missive to his huge database of supporters starting, "Dear friends, fans, and fellow evildoers," which claimed that Bowling for Columbine was "the last thing the Bushies want projected on the movie screens across America this week." He went on to say, "I truly believe this film has the potential to rock the nation and get people energised to do something. I believe this movie can create a lot of havoc - but I will need ALL of you to help me do this. Are you game?"

And it seemed that a fair amount of our cousins over the pond were. With a solid $250,000 made from eight screens in its opening weekend, Michael Moore's plan to use profits from the movie for his next film about September 11th and "how Bush is using that tragic day as a cover for his right-wing agenda" is still alive and more than kicking.

Re: Bowling for Bush

Adrian Veidt said:
But with a little help from his home PC, maverick American *director Michael Moore has succeeded where many before him have failed.

*Don't ask me why, but I misread that as,' Doctor Marvin Monroe'! (Simpsons character.) :D

You can watch some pretty lengthy clips at the official site. The "History of the United States" is kinda eh. I agree with it mostly, except the NRA KKK connection seems pretty cheap. But the Marilyn Manson interview is really interesting.
"Keep everyone afraid, and they'll consume".
Hmm.

Who's seen this then? And what did you think?

I found it powerful, moving and frightening. I started off laughing at it and ended up crying. Michael Moore related US foreign policy to domestic paranoia, and issues of poverty and race, it was very persuasive and certainly gave food for thought. I'm scared anyway.

When K-Mart promised to stop selling ammunition I almost stood up and cheered.

Any Americans care to comment? Has this film been widely shown in the US and what was the reaction? My guess is Mr Moore will be preaching to the converted in his home country.

Marilyn Manson came over as articulate and intelligent; Charlton Heston didn't.

I haven't seen this, but I want to. Sadly, because it's not a big hollywood movie, the chances of any of the multiplexes round my way showing it at anything other than 3 am on a thursday are slim at best.

Same here Adrian,it was reviewed on film 2002 with Jonathon Ross,had reviews on ceefax film page(and sky),yet i can't find a cinema in the midlands that is showing it.

I saw it at the Cornerhouse in Manchester - where it is still being shown throughout December. It's a fantastic documentary - probably the best film of the year - when I went to see it on a Thursday night the cinema was full and the audience liked it so much we all aplauded at the end!

When I looked the other week it was just one cinema in Manchester showing it, but there are a couple in Sheffield doing so now, so I might pop up at the weekend to check it out - has to be better than Bond anyway:D

I saw it and loved most of it. I thought he kind of lost his point though. But I'm just being picky, he's one of the few filmmakers out there that is actually trying to make films that matter. I'd take flawed Michael Moore over Hollywood crap anyday.

I saw it in Atlanta a few weeks ago (and went to see Elvis Costello later that night:) ) and I thought it was great. It's definitely the best thing I've seen in quite some time. Very powerful and moving. I liked it better than "Roger and Me" which is also very good. Definitely go see it if you have a chance.

sureshot

Well I'm delighted you all agree with me! Its a must-see, worth travelling to another town if you have to.

I certainly feel more informed now. One chilling part is where they give statistics on numbers of gun deaths per year. I can't remember the actual figures, but it went something like this: "Germany 85, Britain 68, Japan 39, USA 11,200"
Jaw-dropping.

he's usually on the mark, witty and biting as usual. but the liberals have as big an agenda as the conservatives. i've never seen. it sure as hell will never play here because i live in the conservative sportsman's capitol of the world; guns are the basis of the culture here. that and oil.

Not seen it yet, but my brother has. He said that Moore's criticisim of the NRA is all the more telling because he's a member. Moore owns guns and has won marksmanship awards from the NRA.

His problem is not with guns but with the American attitudes to guns. Canada has similar gun ownership levels but nothing like the level of gun-crime. He may have a point.

Cujo

Pretty much echo everyone's points, a terific movie, though I doubt very many of those who *should* see it actually will. Been playing for a bit now at our town's "art" theater.

Seems even more remarkable in retrospect that his TV Nation ran for two seaons on US network (free) television. There to subvert anyone and everyone, not just those with the money and inclination to go and see a film.

I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet, maybe next week while I'm still on holidays. My understanding from one of the pieces I read on the movie is that he started out with the plan to show that the proliferation of firearms, as promoted by the NRA amongst others, was responsible for the high-level of gun related deaths in the US. While making the film, however, his research showed that the figures didn't add up (particularly regarding the Canadian ownership). This made him rethink his whole premise. You still have the much higher death-rate in the US, but with similar ownership figures to other countries. There is clearly something not right here.

I also believe Moore just turned up at Charlton Heston's home, and had absolutely no expectation that he would be there, so when he opened the door you can see the look of shock on Moore's face.

Anyway, it's on my list. (Along with The Two Towers, Die Another Day, Adaptation, that other Charlie Kaufman movie, and a few other things that I can't remember at the moment. This is getting almost as bad as the pile of unread books.)

Michael Moore On Oprah

I've just watched Michael Moore being interviewed by Oprah, on Dutch TV. He may be a blatant self publicist, but he's a genuinely worried one. I'm going to see Bowling For Columbine Next month.

Can whole societies become paranoid and psychotic? I wonder if that's what's happening to us all, in the West.

Went to see it the other week. I was very taken with one of Moore's conclusions - that many of America's problems stem from being a fearful culture.

While I've never lived in America and thus can't comment from personal experience it does seem to make sense from the outside. What those of you who are current or former residents think?

Cujo

NO-one's mentiones the hilarious Matt Parker/ Trey Stone (of South Park) animation in the middle - 'why americans are scared' or something like that. it starts with the pilgrim fathers being chased out of europe for their beliefs, through indians, plantations and modern gun crime - all with nitty ditties and the usual irrevernece. Makes the film even more must see!

I also thought he sort of wandered off the point, but his conclusion that firearms aren't the problem, people are, will probably keep the NRA happy, and confuse the anti-gun lobby. Overall an intelligent, heartwarming and heartbreaking film.

Saw it last night at the tiny David Lean cinema in Croydon. Any South Londoners who still haven't seen it, it's on there till the 20th I think.
Excellent film. My favourite bits were the Parker and Stone animation, the interviews with Canadians (bet the tourist board was pleased!), and the big list of US government interference with other country's business.

My favourite bit was Moore walking down Canadian streets, trying front doors. Apart from the fact that many were unlocked, the fact that many of the people were completely unphased by a large American opening their doors for no real reason.

Cujo said:
While I've never lived in America and thus can't comment from personal experience it does seem to make sense from the outside. What those of you who are current or former residents think?

Cujo
I lived there between 92 and 93: to an outsider, it was then not so much fearful as insular, but on a national level, not local. I can honestly say we were made more welcome by the neighbours there when we moved in than ever in this country. The insularity was evident in the News (the old Julian Barnes line about the great American magic trick: watch the TV news and see your own continent disappear), the media in general, and also in education: our next door neighbour had an ten year old doing a project on Western Europe, who interviewed me about life in the UK: he didn't even know who the then PM was (perhaps forgivable as it was John Major :)). It's not intentional, it's just self-obsession. As was, it was becoming more outward looking, according to ex-pat friends who still live there, until 9/11 punched it right back behind the picket fence.

The US is hurt and still bleeding, from what I can tell. No blow hurts like the first one, and it's made for a vengeful, frustrated administration. I don't condemn the US: the people themselves, what they as a nation stand for and the energy with which they pursue it are laudable. It's the US media, and the current administration's attitudes I have issues with.

Auntie Peach said:
Well I'm delighted you all agree with me! Its a must-see, worth travelling to another town if you have to.

I certainly feel more informed now. One chilling part is where they give statistics on numbers of gun deaths per year. I can't remember the actual figures, but it went something like this: "Germany 85, Britain 68, Japan 39, USA 11,200"
Jaw-dropping.

Keep in mind the US has a lot more people than those countries,and it doesnt say how many of those gun deaths are suicides or cops shooting criminals.I dont support guns, but Americans arent all gun crazy lunatics you know.:mad:

yep

we here in the usa will always have a right to own guns. Because its in our herittage. Its the great equalizer. Bad folk would own them in any case if prohibited. Just like automobiles, accidents happen with guns...take the guns away..then the underground will provide them. Its better for a good register system and trainning . Shop owners and folks in certain busniess (like me) have to take a course to carry a gun, its very informing and serious. I've met alot of nice people at the shooting range and we take turns trying each others weapons..also its a great hobbie ..an average usa citizen can freely learn alot about guns in our "free to own guns society"...just remember the bad guy thats gonna shoot you don't give a hoot if your for or agaist guns..they just want to get drug money or just see how many they can kill. Gun safety starts at home ..just like anything else..a little common sense and you'll be fine "guns don't just jump up and shoot you, you gotta pick it up and pull the trigger" Our pioneer ancesters treated guns like a good freind and respected and cared for them..they provided food , protection, and were passed down to sons..(I got alot of mine like that) like I said anything is dangerous (cars , boats,screwing in a light bulb) if not respected and having not enough knowledge about it.

waster (enclosed quote by Auntie Peach) said:
Jaw-dropping.
Keep in mind the US has a lot more people than those countries,and it doesnt say how many of those gun deaths are suicides or cops shooting criminals.I dont support guns, but Americans arent all gun crazy lunatics you know.:mad:
Noone's accusing the US populace as a whole of gun-craziness. True there are more people in the US, but proportionately the level of firearm fatalities in the US is well beyond that in the quoted nations: for example, the US population is around 300 million, the UK population about 60 million, about 1/5th of the US number. So crudely, if you multiply the number of UK gun fatalities by 5 you get rough proportional parity, which would come out as...340. Compared to 11,200.

To take ruff's point:
originallyposted by ruffreadywe here in the usa will always have a right to own guns. Because its in our herittage. Its the great equalizer. Bad folk would own them in any case if prohibited. Just like automobiles, accidents happen with guns...
..and there were swords and bows and arrows in our heritage, but we don't have the right to carry them around with us, and quite right too, IMHO. Yes, bad folk do have guns here too, but it's a comparatively small number entirely due to the strict gun laws we have. My own home city now has armed Police on the street, which saddens me greatly, but it's a step which would have had to have been taken nationwide decades ago if we didn't have the laws we do. Proportionally we are still a lot safer from gun crime here than in the US. As for comparing gun accidents with automobile accidents, automobiles are designed for something entirely different. Guns have one purpose: to inflict harm or death. That's what they do.

waster said:

Doesn't the fact that your police feel the need to shoot people so often worry you?
They're going to have to get rid of either the guns or the paranoia before the situation reaches what most countries would consider a complete breakdown.

Re: yep

ruffready said:
Its better for a good register system and trainning .

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will :) but I didn't get a chance to see the flick, and the last articles I read on this subject were a few years ago), but isn't one factor in the US' "gun problem" the different definitions of what makes a "good registration system" from state to state? And the resistence of vested interests to upgrading any of the registration systems that already exist, never mind implementing anything on a national scale that would work effectively?

Aside: saw a clip of Harold Ramis talking about Analyze That on cable last night, and it suddenly struck me: put a baseball cap on Ramis, change his glasses to the thick rims Moore wears, and would we be able to tell them apart? I suspect not... :hmm:

Back