• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Brain Lapses?

A

Anonymous

I remember reading somewhere about your brain "skipping a beat" so to speak from time to time. I dotn remember a lot about it but basically it was just that at regualr intervals your senses would shut down and all thouhght processes would be paused, but it was only a split second. Anyone know anyhting about this? This could potentially explain a great deal of things called paranormal.

This sounds like a form of epilepsy. More info here

My neighbour suffers from these type of "petit mal" seizures and it is very strange to watch - she can be chatting away quite normally, then will suddenly just switch off for a moment before coming back with a confused start.

Another form of epilepsy affects the frontal lobe (the imagination centre) of the brain and this has indeed been implicated in "memories" of alien abduction, fairies and the like. I think Dr Susan Blackmore did a lot of research in this area - I'll try to find some more links for you.

Jane.

hmmm that is quite ummm intresting, Apparently what I read was b.s, cause i cant find anything about it. It was supposed to be a normal occuring thing and all this research was being done on it, but I cant find a thing about it.

I've always had these "brain lapses". Every once in a while, maybe a couple of times a week, I get a split second of utter confusion where I don't know who I am, where I am, what I'm doing or saying. I've always assumed everyone gets this fogginess.
A sign of epilepsy? Well, touch wood, I've never suffered from it!

There was a theory, once upon a time, that deja vu could be caused by the heart skipping a beat, causing some kind of brain hiccough that gave you the sensation of 'having been here before'. Is that what you're thinking of?

Hiya, Hayzee, welcome to FT! :)

I've occasionally had these sort of experiences, but only now and again, not as regularly as you - in my case I put it down to daydreaming! :)

Carole

Hi, Carole, thanks for the greeting!
Look forward to locking horns with you all ;)

Back