• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Breaking Glass in Dreams...?

MercuryCrest

The Severed Head of a Great Old One.
Staff member
I'm not big on symbol interpretation when it comes to dreams. I think they're entirely too personal to give a broad label to. Still, this is bugging me and I'm wondering what you all think....

Last night I had a dream that involved repeatedly breaking glass and another which also involved glass cracking.

The first dream, there were these "water snakes" with dragon heads in an aquarium my cousin was keeping. I bent down to look at them and heard a distinctive *pop*! The back of the aquarium had spontaneously developed this giant set of cracks almost all the way through the glass.

Speed forward to another dream and, in order, I picked up a cookie and the glass tray it was on broke and lifted up with the cookie. I was drinking something out of a glass and a giant shard broke off the lip and was in my mouth briefly before I spat it out, saying, "I can't believe it. That's the third time glass I've been near has broken with me doing nothing more than touch it". I can't recall the third time now, however.

Probably unrelated, but the last dream I had this morning involved me, on my regular bus route at a very particular spot when a green sedan veers across the road right in front of the bus, then spins over onto the sidewalk. The scary thing about this one was that it really was that same area of the road, as it appears in real life. That almost NEVER happens; it's always a "representation" of a place with which I'm familiar.

Last edited:
I'm not big on symbol interpretation when it comes to dreams. I think they're entirely too personal to give a broad label to. Still, this is bugging me and I'm wondering what you all think....

Last night I had a dream that involved repeatedly breaking glass and another which also involved glass cracking.

The first dream, there were these "water snakes" with dragon heads in an aquarium my cousin was keeping. I bent down to look at them and heard a distinctive *pop*! The back of the aquarium had spontaneously developed this giant set of cracks almost all the way through the glass.

Speed forward to another dream and, in order, I picked up a cookie and the glass tray it was on broke and lifted up with the cookie. I was drinking something out of a glass and a giant shard broke off the lip and was in my mouth briefly before I spat it out, saying, "I can't believe it. That's the third time glass I've been near has broken with me doing more than touch it". I can't recall the third time now, however.

Probably unrelated, but the last dream I had this morning involved me, on my regular bus route at a very particular spot when a green sedan veers across the road right in front of the bus, then spins over onto the sidewalk. The scary thing about this one was that it really was that same area of the road, as it appears in real life. That almost NEVER happens; it's always a "representation" of a place with which I'm familiar.

First thing, I would be careful of glass and roads, just to be on the safe side. Your dreams may not have been precognitive at all, but better to be careful anyway. If a dream is bothering you, that means it wants your attention.

I can't guess what the symbol of breaking glass means to you, but a helpful question to ask would be "what in my real life feels like the breaking glass made me feel in the dream?" Also, imagining yourself in the role of the breaking glass and asking what your purpose or meaning is can help shake it loose sometimes. Good luck.

I agree that dream symbolism is personal and that what glass means to YOU is important here. I'd be looking at how the breaking glass made me feel rather than how it looked or sounded. But that's just me.

Speed forward to another dream and, in order, I picked up a cookie and the glass tray it was on broke and lifted up with the cookie. I was drinking something out of a glass and a giant shard broke off the lip and was in my mouth briefly before I spat it out, saying, "I can't believe it. That's the third time glass I've been near has broken with me doing more than touch it". I can't recall the third time now, however.

According to this site, glass represents either invisible or social barriers, so breaking glass points to the breaking down of such:

http://dreamhawk.com/dream-dictionary/glass/

I'm with Ulalume and Escargot though, dreams are personal and you have the explanation somewhere in your subconscious, you just have to find it. :)

Do your dreams often mesh with real life as the last one is, or, this one-off? Either way, glass is pretty and shiny and sharp--take care.

Okay, I'm back again. After thinking on it, I believe the 3rd thing (which was actually the first thing in the second dream, in order) was possibly someone working on something in glass (glass stain/glass cutting?) which broke when I walked by.

No, my dreams do not ordinarily correspond to real life. At least, not in this life that I know.

I do remember thinking in the last dream (The one with the sedan being driven by a crazy person) that I was really surprised that his windshield didn't get shattered (although there was nothing that would have caused that to happen).

Last edited:
Hi there. I registered specifically to reply to your post here. I just found out about this message board today. When I saw the title of your thread it instantly reminded me of a very powerful dream that I had that cured all of my depression when I was in high school. I just about had a heart attack when I read that yours also involved snakes, as did mine. I will tell you my dream and then tell you what I think the cracking of glass might mean.

I was going through extreme depression for 2-3 years because my parents got a divorce. One of my biggest fears is snakes. On the night of this dream, there were about 6 or so ~10 foot long really skinny black snakes that rose up and twisted around each other like a helix in the air. They had space around them and it wasn't creepy with them slithering on each other. They rose up, twirled in the air together and then froze into black glass. I shattered them into millions of pieces. The next day I woke up and my depression was literally gone in the blink of and eye...I had shattered it into irreversible pieces.

I don't know what you can connect these objects of glass to in your life, but for me, the shattering of glass represented the fragmenting and overall disappearance of an issue. Like thousands of pieces of shattered glass, that negative idea or feeling could never be glued back together again. Hope this triggers a thought or helps you.

I was going through extreme depression for 2-3 years because my parents got a divorce. One of my biggest fears is snakes. On the night of this dream, there were about 6 or so ~10 foot long really skinny black snakes that rose up and twisted around each other like a helix in the air. They had space around them and it wasn't creepy with them slithering on each other. They rose up, twirled in the air together and then froze into black glass. I shattered them into millions of pieces. The next day I woke up and my depression was literally gone in the blink of and eye...I had shattered it into irreversible pieces.
A fascinating dream!

Did you connect the "really skinny black snakes that rose up and twisted around each other like a helix in the air" with the DNA molecule? Your parents combined their DNA to create you, so maybe you finally realised that your divorced parents were history, and you were the future, and this is what lifted the depression?

Hi there. I registered specifically to reply to your post here. I just found out about this message board today. When I saw the title of your thread it instantly reminded me of a very powerful dream that I had that cured all of my depression when I was in high school. I just about had a heart attack when I read that yours also involved snakes, as did mine. I will tell you my dream and then tell you what I think the cracking of glass might mean.

I don't know what you can connect these objects of glass to in your life, but for me, the shattering of glass represented the fragmenting and overall disappearance of an issue. Like thousands of pieces of shattered glass, that negative idea or feeling could never be glued back together again. Hope this triggers a thought or helps you.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

I`d like to share two dreams which I think are the only snake ones Ive had.

Dream 1

Im in my local town, everywhere is busy as normal when a grey/silver looking anaconda like critter turns up. Everyone acts like its not there as it comes towards me. Just as it catches up with me a friend from my past turns up and cuts it into two pieces - thus saving me.

Dream 2

I find myself looking at a shoebox near my bedroom door. Im wondering why thats there and decide to open it. Inside the shoebox I find two snake skeletons. It appears that one snake consumed the other and together they both formed a perfect circle. I stare at this before the dream ends.

Is there a dream thread here?

Well, after the convention tonight, this might well have some merit. I need to bust out of my old "mold" and break into another one. This might just happen as I've spent several hours working on a new design for a new website.

As far as the snakes go...they have me thinking of a different dream which I believe I've chronicled here before involving a Chinese-style dragon and its need for blood.

Perhaps my own mind is befuddled, but the fact that they were "snakes" with dragon-heads might have to do with the old dream (which was terrifying as it was beautiful....)

A fascinating dream!

Did you connect the "really skinny black snakes that rose up and twisted around each other like a helix in the air" with the DNA molecule? Your parents combined their DNA to create you, so maybe you finally realised that your divorced parents were history, and you were the future, and this is what lifted the depression?

I think that because I am afraid of snakes in the physical world, my dreams represent fear with snakes. I don't know if I made the DNA connection, I think the pattern alone was "magical enough" to see in front of my eyes in the dream world...it was sort of surreal. I think if anything I though of ascension, but not really sure on that one. :p

Back