• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Telecom

Timble said:
There's at least one murder mystery that depends on uniforms being invisible. The witnesses all claim that while the murder was happening no-one came to or left the house, the murderer was in fact disguised as a Postman who no-one had noticed as being anyone important. It may be one of the "Father Brown" stories by GK Chesterton: Ravenstone or Stormkahn will probably know.
I know too, but it would be a spoiler to reveal the truth! ;)

Kitty, I was going to suggest you stop by, and politely ask (GASP!) one of the younger workers what they're doing, so hard at work? If it's not too much of a walk, take a pitcher of iced tea and some glasses with you. You might be surprised.

If someone comes towards you with tarp outstretched, THEN you might mention that your BH is filming from the bushes! :shock:

The Yithian said:
I may have posted this elsewhere but a chap i used to work with (a long time ago) crashed hi car into both a skip (lit at night with flashy beacons) and a fire engine (with the blue lights and sirens going) in the same month.

True.

Scary.

Erm, what is a skip?

A large, metal, open-top, often yellow, rubbish-disposal receptacle, usually used to hold industrial refuse.

The Yithian said:
A large, metal, open-top, often yellow, rubbish-disposal receptacle, usually used to hold industrial refuse.

and for your nieghbours to throw their junk into late at night. (even if its in/on your garden) which is then set alight by the little b******s on the estate

You could try randomly dropping "flagged" words and passwords into you everyday conversation and listen out for little furtive clicks on the line. For starters I would suggest the words FERTILIZER, OPERATION and DOGS BARKING, CAN'T FLY WITHOUT UMBRELLA. Then have a quick peek through the curtains to watch for activity.

Or just lean out the window and shout "I know where you live, I know your Mum and dad!" That always scared me away from hanging out on street corners.

skip = dumpster (or, in North Bay, a NIM bin)

Hrm, I had a Bell Canada repair guy here this afternoon...for some obscure reason I sensed an opportunity missed.

It was indeed a Father Brown story that involved a postman - however it was the master criminal Flambeau who devised the scam of fake post boxes set up on the street. Each day he'd turn up in a posties uniform and collect the mail; he managed to amass quite a penny before he was rumbled (but not caught).

*** Spoiler Alert for fans of Agatha Christie ***

Agatha Christie used the 'Invisibility by Uniform' twice IIRC but with a waiters uniform; once in Sad Cypress and once in Lord Edgeware Dies.

What's the point in ringing BT? They'll just confirm they have workmen in the area and they are improving existing lines due to location corrosion. After all, BT were a government multimillion pound funded organisation until recently. You're not telling me that there aren't still a few people on the board of directors who would'nt use unscrupulous methods of eavesdropping? I know I would in their situation!!!

Jaroson

Cock-up versus conspiracy?

More likely cock-up. BT run a massive network but, due to their slow take-up of other resources (the internet, mobile phones etc.) they're underfunded and overstretched when it comes to line repair.

Well I phoned BT, and the vans were gone the next day! They wouldn't tell me what work was going on, if any, only the status of my own phone line.

But on Saturday evening there was a very suspicious young man, about 35ish? Wearing jeans and a shirt, driving a posh car. He pulled up outsid emy house, went over to the manhole covers and kicked the dirt around the edge (they're on a grass verge so are slightly inset in the ground). Then he got out a clipboard and started writing stuff down. He looked up and down the road carefully, then at my house specifically, then wrote some more down. Then he opened the mahole cover with a stick thing, looked inside and made more notes. Then he got out a wheely thing and measured the distance between the manhole covers. Then he got back int he car and after waiting a little while, he drove away again . . .

So while they had your attention at the front, what, we wonder, was going on at the back? :shock:

I can see the front and the back of the house from the kitchen, so nothing, apart from some wood pigeons :shock:

Hmmm, I complained about their random parking, how they blocked people in their parking spaces (we don't have driveways, just a row of parking bays) and parked across several parking spaces and generally caused access problems, so now they've told them not to park in our spaces. So they're parked on the pavement, amost blocking the road.

I withdraw this thread, due to their extreme frustrating incompetence, I refuse to believe there's anything sinister going on.

That's what they want you to think. ;)

Passes Kitty the Bacofoil.
Get ahead, make a hat. 8)

Everything is fine. Nothing to see here. You may go.
*Chuckles in evil glee*
Wire strippers? Check. Crocodile clips? Check. Recording device? Check.

Get ahead - but dispose of the body thoughtfully.

BT is primarilly a consultancy firm these days....maybe all those people are under employed consultants who feel it is best to be out of the office and thus not bring attention to their lack of work...

JWS

Back