• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Buffy Sainte-Marie

I am a biiig fan, have been for more years than I can remember. I am very old. :(

She is a real inspiration. 8)

Mal_Adjusted said:
god is alive - magic is a foot

(or something like that anyway)

Yeah, Illuminations is a great album. My favourite on there is He's A Keeper of the Fire. The first time I heard it, I couldn't believe it was Buffy Sainte-Marie.

escargot1 said:
I am a biiig fan, have been for more years than I can remember. I am very old. :(

She is a real inspiration. 8)

Really, I never had you down as being particularly old.

Anyway, as a "biiig fan" - and in an attempt to stop this from being 'chat forum fodder' - what do you think about this? Were the likes of Buffy, Bob and Joan really that much of a threat to the American political machine?

I could well imagine some tight wad in some department phoning some radio stations to say something like

"well done for keeping that hippy crap off our radio waves - don't need any more of those bleeding heart liberals pining again, they kick up a fuss and join hands every time something like that plays.

Thank goodness people like you have some musical taste and common sense.

Keep it up son."

That I can believe.

The conspiracy stuff?

I think anoraks made it up.

:)

She was frequently a guest star on Sesame Street, which has nothing to do with this thread but is an interesting bit of trivia, well marginally interesting anyway.

escargot1 said:
I am a biiig fan, have been for more years than I can remember.

Same here. 'My Country 'tis of thy people you're dying' being a big favourite.

Not sure that I go along with the conspiracy angle though...CSN&Y managed to release 'Ohio' which was surely more immediately incendiary to its intended audience.

TheCavynaut said:
escargot1 said:
I am a biiig fan, have been for more years than I can remember.

Same here. 'My Country 'tis of thy people you're dying' being a big favourite.

Not sure that I go along with the conspiracy angle though...CSN&Y managed to release 'Ohio' which was surely more immediately incendiary to its intended audience.

I thought that initially too. However, I think it was a question of timing. Buffy released 'Universal Soldier' in 1964 and it took Donovan's version to really make any impact on the general public. By the time the protest movement really began to pick up both speed and followers, the song had already been around quite a few years.

Back