• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

buildings are the most vivid

A

Anonymous

my dreams have gotten very weird over the past year.

more and more, when i wake up i can't remember the plot, the faces nor the interactions...but...i can remember every structure and building in my dreams.

what could this mean?

I thought that was normal! Never occured to me before. I never really see anyone's face in a dream, just get a vague impression and sort of "know" who they are. But the places, shops, spaceships etc are all there in detail. Unlike you Synth, I always remember the plots and dialogue though.
Perhaps, you're a frustrated architect?

it's like...

i know what i am doing and where i am going in them, and a few secs after i wake up i can recall everything going on, but later in the day, the only thing that remains is the style of the windows, size of the stairs, size and location of walls, elevators, color, floors, etc etc. i can dig deep and recollect parts of the dreams if i really want to, but the buildings are never missing from my memory. and the facelessness happens too. it's like they have a blank "face" but you know exactly who they are, in fact you recognize their blankness as being exclusive only to that person.

Normally when I have dreams I mainly remember stuff that was relevant to the "story". Although that implies they make sense, which they often don't :) I'll often see faces, but like most people it's all most memorable right after I wake up, and as the day goes on it fades more and more. I remember a dream where radioactive spiders were abducting people in my town and taking them to a nearby country lane to digest them in green-glowing goo, and Maurice from Northern Exposure was in it for some reason ;)

ah, Northern Exposure...what a great show that was.

mine aren't really as structured as that...i wish, though. my last vivid one from two days ago was of me at the summer resort i always go to...then having to lift off and fly deep deep into space to this "phantom" planet and penetrate it's surface and it was a trap by some space villian. time was running out and the planet was going to explode so i had to search around and break through all the play-pen balls i was in(like the one's that kids play in at mcdonalds) and go thru the ceiling and fly thru space over and over. weird, huh?

ofcourse, there is this one dream with a building that has a perfect plaza, walk way and courtyard, etc etc...i remember exactly what it all looks like and someday i will try and build it because of it's practicality and beauty. it's hard to explain, but it is possible.

Not to get too O/T, but my uncle flew recon gliders in Korea. He was shot down, and made prisoner of war by the Chinese for two years. He kept his sanity and focus in difficult conditions by building a house in his mind, from scratch, brick by brick.

He returned home and had a family--then they called him back into duty in Vietnam! AND he had flown C-47s in WWII! I'd love to say that he built that very same house upon his return; sadly it wasn't the case. He was a lovely man, and only died recently.

*hug* i'm sorry. he sounded like a strong man

it would have been a feat if he did build it...a very testament to human willpower. that is a good tactic though, to keep from going crazy.

Weirdly enough, having said I never see faces in dreams, that very night (last night) I have a dream where I see someone's face quite clearly. No one I know. It must be the power of suggestion over the subconcious.
I read somewhere that if you don't remember dreams, you should tell yourself that you will before you go to sleep. I find the best way is not to move when I wake up, until I've run through all my dreams in my mind, processed them if you will. If I don't do this, I feel a bit "jangled" for a while. They definately have a function, as anyone who has gone without sleep for a while will agree.

Strangely enough I'm the exact opposite. I hardly ever remember locations in dreams (if I remember them at all) but I always remember people and faces, even if they aren't people I know. Could it be something to do with right brain/left brain dominance?

oooh, good theory about the left and right brain.

also, don't open your eyes when you wake from a dream. the remnants of your dreams are "frightened" by light. just don't move or open your eyes. becoming conscious very quickly will make it almost impossible to recall everything because you are switching mental gears.

Adrian Veidt said:
Could it be something to do with right brain/left brain dominance?
Well I'm right handed and my focus is on locations. What about the rest of you?

I'm left handed and my focus is on people.

Well that's enough of a sample, I'm obviously right! :D

[edit] Just asked the right handed girl I work with (without saying why I was asking) and she only remembers people if it is real people who are very close to her. Other times it's just the general sense of the place.
The other woman I work with is left handed, I'll ask her when she returns from lunch.

I'm right handed and like I said before, I focus on just the major points on the story, which can be people (one dream I vividly recall having someone I'm sure I'd never met before in it, and after I'd woken up I could still recall what they looked like) but I suppose locations are at least present, if not in great detail (e.g. I know where we were, the locations are normally places I've been :) ). But then, I don't have dreams all that often. Months can go by without me having a dream (knowingly; for all I know I have constant dreams, it's just that when I awaken, I don't have the slightest memory of them :) )

right-handed and i focus on surroundings. my dreams are more location-based than anything.

Back