• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bullied teen giant misses school

A

Anonymous

Bullied teen giant misses school

A 6ft 7ins, 18-stone teenager has not been to school for more than a year - because he says he was being bullied.

The parents of Matthew Ridley, 15, have allowed him to stay away from Kingsdown school, Swindon, after claims other children picked on him.

He is now gaining work experience at a builders' yard, and mother Mandy hopes he will soon get his confidence back.

"Hopefully... he will go to college or evening classes and get his qualifications that way," she said.

Matthew says the bullying began at junior school, where children called him names because he was overweight.

'School not to blame'

When he got to Kingsdown, the teenager claims other pupils tried to hit him.

But the 15-year-old said he did not want to fight back.

"I would have got into trouble for it," Matthew said.

"I would have probably knocked them out because they were half my size, skinnier than me and not as strong as me."

The teenager's parents say they do not blame Kingsdown school for the bullying.

A Swindon Borough Council spokesperson said the authority did not comment on individual cases.

"We have policies about bullying and work with schools to support individuals where necessary," a statement from the council said.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4077069.stm[url]

I had similar experiences at school (although I didn't attain my adult height of 6'2" till I was 23), other kids would jump on my feet, or kick my shins ... If I so much as breathed on them for it a teacher would appear and give me hell for being a Big Bully. Never a word said to the fecker who kicked me ... :x

I went to that school! :shock: One of my uncles used to have problems, being tall, unfortunately he has a congenital heart disorder which meant if he got into fights or anything he could, in theory, die, he was tutored at home.
I notice that big people and/or tall people quite often get singled out for anything from comments to bullying to outright attack.

Lady Stella said:
"I would have probably knocked them out because they were half my size, skinnier than me and not as strong as me." http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4077069.stm[url]

Sounds like those are some thick bullies. You're meant to go for the little ones.

I've never been bullied about my height, but I do get a bit sick of people saying "you're tall, aren't you?" - as I noticed this fact quite a long time ago. :roll:

True.

I know a 6 foot 10, 18 stone semi pro rugby player who constantly has to deal with drunken pricks in pubs trying to pick fights. Presumably to prove how 'hard' they are. He daren't lose his temper with them ior he'd be looking at six months. :(

At 5' 10" I was one of the shorter blokes at my school at 16. My cousin was 6'4" at the age of 16 (three years younger than me) and he was evenly matched in his rugby squad. Interesting that this kid would stand out enough to be picked on.

Lethe said:
I notice that big people and/or tall people quite often get singled out for anything from comments to bullying to outright attack.

Yup ... :roll:

Yeah, I know a bloke who's 7,2', and he gets all sorts of little (usually shorter than average) wankers try it on in pubs. Unfortunatly he isn't too bothered about dishing it out to those who are asking for it.
And he used to drive a mini. He would sometime steer with his knees...
:shock:

Our car is so small I had to have the runners under the driver's seat extended just so's I could get into the fecking thing.

I am 6ft 5ins, and I reckon I have been bullied more than most. One well-known London company I was working at, a couple of guys who were no more than 5ft 3ins used to beat me up physically. I once had airfix glue put in my hair. The company would not take it seriously, saying it was a "personality clash". Eventually one of the guys got a verbal warning, and I was moved to another department.
It's a long time ago but I still feel a certain amount of bitterness.

Bill.

so much for schools treying to stamp out bullying then :x :evil:
So the child suffers physical violence and psycholigical damage or he dosn't get an education?

Education, educatiion, education...

Back