• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

bunnyman

From Bill Drummond of the KLF, one time manager of echo and th Bunnymen:

link

volvement as manager of Echo and the Bunnymen. The name — he says — was chosen purely at random from a list of ‘cool names’ a friend had drawn up (as was The Teardrop Explodes’ name) However after seeing the ‘devil-bunny’ art for the first record he starts to research into who Echo and Bunnymen might actually be. He finds numerous references to Rabbits in folklore across the world, especially as an incarnation of the Native American trickster god. During an interview when, asked to explain the origins of the name, one of the band members talks of Playboy Bunny Girls Drummond wants to say –

“No, no Les, you’ve got it wrong, it’s nothing to do with Bunny girls. Bunnymen are the scattered tribes that populate the northern rim of the world and are followers of a mythical being, divine spirit, prime mover who takes the earthly form of a rabbit.”

Being a fan of the band i have often wondered what their name meant. I had heard the drum machine story and the weird name made up by a friend but i also heard this....

My mate is Will Seargents (guitarist in Bunnymen)postie. He kindly got his autograph for me a few years ago.
I got him to ask Will what the band name meant and got told that they had a cockney mate that used to say "you scousers (Liverpudlians) are all just bunnymen" Bunny in London slang meaning to talk lots and rapidly. The Echo part he said did comee fromthe name of the local paper The Liverpool Echo.

I agree Bunnymen should be cute and cuddly but arn't. Remember Harvey with Jimmy Stewart in? freaky.

Back