• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Burger Rage" attack!

TheQuixote

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
BBCi News 6/12/03

Woman jailed for burger attack

A Texas woman who ran over a McDonald's manager after not getting mayonnaise on her cheeseburger has been sentenced to 10 years in jail by a court in Houston.

Waynetta Nolan, 37, flew into a rage at a drive-through restaurant when told her order did not come with mayonnaise.

The manager, Sherry Jenkins, came outside to pacify Nolan but she was knocked down and dragged across the carpark, suffering a broken pelvis.

Judge Brock Thomas said it was one of the most absurd cases he had tried. "I sure hope it was worth it, because you'll have 10 years to think about it," he told Nolan as he sentenced her.

Jurors were earlier told about the chain of events last April that lead Nolan to commit the aggravated assault.

Mayo, mayo, mayo

She drew up at the Houston drive-through. and insisted on having mayonnaise.

When the employee told her mayonnaise was not an option with her order, Nolan through the burger back through the window cursing and shouting.

When the employee called for help, Ms Jenkins came outside to the carpark to offer Nolan a special order.

"I gave her everything she asked for- mayonnaise, no mustard, onions, everything I could possibly do for this lady," the manager told reporters.

"Mayo, mayo, mayo, and it's still not good enough." Witnesses said Nolan's car lurched forwards, knocking the manager down, and breaking her pelvis.

Nolan said her foot had touched the accelerator by accident when she leaned forward to put ketchup on her french fries.

"I was going through a bad time in my life," Nolan told the court.

"I was having a lot of problems."

You almost feel sorry for her lawyer, having to give that excuse :p

[OT] why is it that some people react so out of proportion to the problem?[/OT]

Jane.

"mayo!, i give you mayo!" sung to the tune of "fire" by "the crazy world of arthur brown" or "im a mayo eater" to the tune of "im a fire starter" by progeny

mejane said:
[OT] why is it that some people react so out of proportion to the problem?[/OT]
Do you mean the customer, or the judge, mejane?

Ten years? I'd have thought a couple of hundred hours flipping burgers at the drive-in and paying full compensation would have been more than enough punishment.

I meant the customer, Andro :D

I'm not a fan of long jail sentences in general and in this case a compulsary anger-management course would seem to be a better solution, but maybe the judge didn't have much choice in a case of attempted murder/dangereous driving/being called Waynetta?

Jane.

Except it was rather less humerous, not unreminscent of the "Chalpua Rage" case a few years back. You really have to wonder how much these people think before they act.

Thursday, November 18
Jayhawks player suspended over chalupa

Associated Press

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- A 270-pound University of Kansas football player got stuck in the drive-thru window of a Taco Bell when he tried to charge employees who left the chalupa out of his order, authorities said.

Dion Rayford, a 6-foot-3 senior defensive end, was suspended for the game Saturday against Iowa State, the last game of his college career. He was released on his own recognizance after appearing in court Wednesday on charges of disorderly conduct, having an open container of alcohol and misdemeanor damage to property.

An innocent plea was entered for Rayford, who had started all 11 games this season.

Rayford, 24, allegedly became angry about 2 a.m. Wednesday when he didn't get the chalupa. He tried to climb through the 14-by-46-inch drive-thru window, said Lawrence police Sgt. George Wheeler.

"When you take a big guy and put him through a small space, something's got to give," Wheeler said.

The night manager, Tiffany Holly, and three other employees locked themselves into an office, said restaurant manager Tito Lopez.

None of the employees was injured.

"I'm disappointed for the young man, and frustrated as a coach to be put in the position to suspend someone from the final game of their career," said Kansas coach Terry Allen. "But we can't tolerate that type of behavior in our program."

Copyright ©2003 ESPN Internet

Slightly fuller version of the story here:
By Andrew Tilghman
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
12-5-3

A McDonald's customer who flew into a violent rage when she was denied mayonnaise on her cheeseburger got 10 years in prison today for running over the restaurant's manager.

Waynetta Nolan, 37, could have received as much as 20 years in prison for hitting Sherry Allen Jenkins with her car, dragging the employee across the parking lot and breaking her pelvis at the McDonald's in southwest Houston.

Nolan showed little emotion this afternoon when the jury came back with the punishment after four hours of deliberation. Earlier this morning, however, as the jury heard testimony in the punishment phase of Nolan's trial, her 43-year-old victim tearfully said she couldn't pick up her grandchildren because of the injuries she suffered in the incident.

"I put the mayonnaise on her burger," Jenkins told jurors. "I took the onions and the mustard off. What did I do?"

Jurors took less than an hour on Wednesday to convict Nolan of aggravated assault in the courtroom of state District Judge Brock Thomsas. Nolan testified then that she thought she had rolled over "a bump" when she ran over Jenkins.

Nolan was contrite during her testimony today and apologized for running over Jenkins on April 23. She said she had been going through "a bad time" in her life when she lost it in the drive-through line.

The incident began when an 18-year-old employee working at the drive-through window near Bissonnet and Beltway 8 told Nolan mayonnaise was not an option on McDonald's cheeseburgers. When Nolan became angry, she was encouraged to pull her car around to the window counter and speak to the manager.

Witnesses said Nolan cursed and threw a cheeseburger back though the drive-through window.

When Jenkins offered a special-order cheeseburger with mayonnaise, witnesses said, Nolan complained her french fries had grown cold. After receiving new fries, she then demanded a new drink.

Unable to pacify the belligerent customer, Jenkins finally called police, who asked her to get the customer's license plate number. Jenkins walked out to the drive-through line to get the number.

Nolan testified she had inched her car forward to put ketchup on her burger when she heard a car horn. Realizing she was blocking drive-through traffic, she said, she gunned her car forward and hit Jenkins.

After running over Jenkins, witnesses said, Nolan sped from the parking lot and drove into oncoming traffic on a one-way feeder road. She was arrested at her home after a man who saw the assault followed her and reported her plate to police.

Jurors had the option of convicting Nolan of a lesser crime, such as misdemeanor reckless driving, but prosecutors said it was her spectacular departure that likely led to her felony assault conviction.

"Did she stop?" asked Assistant District Attorney John Jordan. "Did she say, `Oh my Lord, what have I done?' "

Nolan's attorney, Troy Wilson, said his client simply panicked.

"I think more than anything, it was the panic afterward that hurt her with the jury."

<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/#top>
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/2268726

Ten years is probably excessive but I doubt many posters here would question the sentence if she'd nearly killed the manager with a gun instead of her car.

Physick said:
....Ten years is probably excessive but I doubt many posters here would question the sentence if she'd nearly killed the manager with a gun instead of her car.

I don't think it's excessive, she could have killed that woman. And I hope there's some way she can be forced to work in the prison's kitchen for the entire sentence. :mad:

re mad manager

I suspect she has a hormone problem,,,,, but won't admit or cope with it.

melf said:
"mayo!, i give you mayo!" sung to the tune of "fire" by "the crazy world of arthur brown"

Do you mean this one? :D

Mayo
Crazy World Of Mac Donalds

I am the god of ham burgers and I bring you:

Mayo, I'll take you to eat.
Mayo, I'll add to your seat.
I'll see you eat!

You fought hard and you saved and learned,
but all of it's going to burn.
And your mind, your tiny mind,
you know you've really been so blind.
Now 's your time feed your mind.
You've got a 50 mile long behind.

Oh no, oh no, oh no, you gonna eat!
Mayo, my burger isn't done.
Mayo, you had better run.
I'll feel you eat!

You've been living like a little girl,
in the middle of your little world.
And your mind, your tiny mind,
you know you've really been so blind.
Now 's your time feed your mind,
You've got a 50 mile long behind.

Irony

McDonalds is the corporation that advertised "Big Mac Attacks", based perhaps on the popular expression "snack attack", a craving for snacks which sneaks up on you, which is based in turn on "sneak attack".

Maybe the woman can get her sentence cut or overturned by an appeal alleging that McDonalds asked for Big Mac Attacks and got them.

The lesson is obvious: be careful what you advertise for.

There has been a major anti-fat push going on in the States for some time, fueled by genuine and legitimate outrage over the food-processing roots of the world-wide obesity epidemic and partly by lobbies of various sorts--possibly including the lawyers who got rich taking on Big Tobacco.

But let us remember, condiments don't kill people, people kill people.

A fast food jingle from my youth:

"Hold the pickle, hold the lettuce
Hold the mustard, don't upset us."

No seriously, don't upset us. You don't want to know what will happen if the ketchup/catsup runs out.

Re: Irony

littleblackduck said:
No seriously, don't upset us. You don't want to know what will happen if the ketchup/catsup runs out.

But, what if Hamburgler steals it? (This was MacDonalds cute character career criminal, yes?)

Back