• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

buses that have "atmospheres"

thenumenorian said:
why do english people say "sat" when they mean "sitting"?
Why use two syllables when one will do? 8)

One thing I notice on public transit in Toronto is you get some days when all the nutters come out to ride. I had one of those days on Monday, when all buses and trains were packed with loopers.

thenumenorian said:
Spudrick68 said:
I've seen some really silly stuff on buses. Once there was a woman in her '60's sat on the back seat in the middle.
]

why do english people say "sat" when they mean "sitting"?
or even worse is when they say "sat sitting."

is this fortean?
No, just a very common grammatical error.

I used to go to work by bus every day in Manchester in the late 90s/early 00s and I had a BIG problem with 'bus bully' paranoia, pointing and laughing kids and so on, and was suffering with such extreme anxiety generally at the time that I ended up signed off from work, on anti-depressants, virtually housebound and ultimately in cognitive behavioural therapy.

To this day I maintain the CBT really works ..... but this thread has just made me reconsider.
My psychologist was very positive on the subject of me getting a motorbike - it must have cropped up as something I wanted but didn't feel capable of doing, my partner at the time effectively 'forbade' me, I'd never learned to drive and was frankly scared, I hated making phone calls and organising things and would go into full on panic attacks talking to strangers blah blah.
In any case, the therapist really helped and encouraged me and I proudly turned up on my first new (little, old and knackered) motorbike to my last CBT session, and in truth, I've never suffered from anxiety to that extent again, hence my belief that it is a very useful form of psychotherapy.
But of course what also happened was that I never went to work, or anywhere else, on the bus again because I now had my own transport, and so I didn't have to put up with nasty comments and dirty looks and derisive laughter and grim gloom for the best part of two hours a day.
In the summer of 2009 I rode a 500cc Enfield on the world's second highest motorable road, in the Himalayas, which was a little scary .... but did not fill me with anything like the dread that catching a 42 on Oxford Road used to.

You also get the incredibly bad smelling individual who gets on the bus and decides to sit next to you!The individual who puts their bag on the empty seat next to them and pretends to be asleep.
There's a suitcase poking me in the ribs
There's an elbow in my ear
There's a wino sitting next to me
Hasn't showered in a year
I think I'm missing a contact lense
I think my wallet's gone
And now this bus is gonna stop again
And let a few more freaks get on - hey!

Another one rides the bus

And another gets on and another gets on
Hey - he's gonna sit by you!

To the tune of the Queen classic 'Another One Bites the Dust', no doubt?

Yes, it's early Weird Al.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX3Fc0fBfWc

(If you go see him today he has a much more elaborate band, but this clip shows you the raw original power of parody done by a couple of guys with an accordion, some bike horns, a suitcase, and spoons.)

I was thinking about weird Al the other day - to have fashioned an entire stunningly successful career on parodying popular songs - how fantastic and bizarre is that? And here I have to work for a living.....

Back