• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

BVM & Synchronicity

That's very kind of you meanderer. :) And of course it would be the mods call (and I'm thinking calling another poster a lying, sick, perverted abomination who is not merely going to hell but dragging the rest of humanity with him just might viloate the MB's guidelines ;) ). The problem is that people that twist the Bible and my relationship with God to further their own bigotry have this amazing capacity to then play the martyr/victim card when they get called on it. Banning tends to fuel persecution complexes. If she wants to take me on, she can. But not in this thread. That link has already been provided. Obviously if she wilts in the light and needs to flee to justify herself, it's her choice.

laci said:

Sorry, folks, i tried to bring this information to this board, but it is too tedious. ...
Very true laci. The bit about smugness, true too. Reading your nonsense helps me to understand why a hard core of sexual predators can so easily hide behind the robes of a celibate priesthood, spouting smug, self serving, hypocrisy, whilst preying on the young and vulnerable. Not that I'm accusing you of such things, of course.

No doubt we'll be hearing from you, again.

AndroMan said:
No doubt we'll be hearing from you, again.
Surely not? Laci's already said their last word upon the topic. If Laci still has problems identifying their last word, I'm sure we can assist them :).

Now, so as to avoid speaking further ill of those who have said their last word, can we leave the personal stuff and return to the topic?

Thank you :).

I went to post something on this thread and it had disappeared and said I wasn't allowed to because I wasn't special enough.

Now it's back again. What happened?

The sad thing is, is I had something worth to say at that time and now I can't be arsed!

laci said:
Meanderer - i guess you would have to ask the mods to ban the Bible for saying that homosexuality is an abomination, is that right? We are speaking about a religion with set beliefs. As the Bible states about homosexuality, so does Christianity. Why should this be banned from this board? It is the same as someone saying they are a member of the Knights of Columbus yet they do not uphold the rules. They may call themselves a member, but in truth they are not. Christianity is not an imaginary philosophy of our own making, in which "everything goes." If this should be banned, then it seems that Christianity should be banned from this board. In most of the minds who have written, it already is. The fact that Christianity actually has beliefs taught by Jesus, a Jew, who had come "not to abolish the Law but to fulfill it" involves various moral laws which He upheld and taught. Why should this be banned? This is another prime example of false information - thinking that homosexual behavior is in accord with the teaching of Jesus and Christianity...to the point of someone saying that to say otherwise "should be banned".....

You might be talking about 'your' version of Christianity - the one I understand just loves everybody - no matter what. Yours is the abomination.
Sorry mods, I'm just a tad cross but I'll button it now.

Late to find this thread

Having only found this thread in what looks like its death throes, I would still like to make a comment on one of laci's earlier claims of which I have had personal experience.

People who have near death experiences do not uniformly see a bright light, nor do they uniformly see a figure from Christian theology, e.g. BVM. Buddhists tend to see figures from the Buddhist pantheon. Hindus tend to see figures from the Hindu pantheon and so on. What one sees seems to depend on one's belief system. However, a substantial proportion of people who "die" and are re-started, like me, see nothing at all. Just oblivion.

Let me outline the steps of dying as I experienced them after a road accident:

Firstly there are feelings of shock and horror, "This can't be happening!!!!"

Gradually one's sight begins to fade, and so does the pain.

Around about this stage the feelings of fear and anxiety give way to a feeling of calm detachment.

Eventually it takes a real effort to focus on anything and as peripheral vision goes it's like looking down a gun barrel. Soon it is no longer possible to see anything.

Long after the loss of sight it is possible to hear. In my case I could hear people discussing how best to proceed and even whether it was worthwhile to make the effort. This was not worrying despite being a life and death decision about me. A feeling of detachment continued while all consciousness faded away. (By "detachment" I don't mean "out of body experience". I mean a feeling of no sense of involvement in what was happening.)

The medical team eventually decided it was worth trying to resuscitate me some time after all signs of life ceased. In fact I later found that they had used some pretty severe interventions. No problems, I was dead and neither knew nor cared.

As I finally regained consciousness I first felt confusion, then the pain hit me and I wished that I was still out of it.

From that point it was almost four years before I had a fully normal life again. However, I was alive. This was a major plus and infinitely better than the alternative. :)

The point I wish to make is that near death experiences really can't be used as evidence of anything supernatural. Not everyone who dies and is brought back has a classic NDE - i.e. long tunnel, bright light, sight or voices of religious figure or dead loved one, etc, etc. What people experience depends in large part on their expectations.

There are good physically-based explanations for most of the experiences of the "classic NDE". It really isn't necessary to invoke the supernatural - Occam's Razor Rules!

Re: Late to find this thread

Thanks for the 'Reality Check,' Sebastianp. :)

Excellent post, Sebastianp!

On a related note, similiar experiences have been reported by jet pilots who black out in the middle of pulling serious g's. Lack of oxygen to the brain and the release of endomorphins can also cause NDE-like experiences.

Also, this may be closing the barn door after the horse has gone, but the whole business of 'Christians' like laci and their current obsession with homosexuality bothers me to no end. It shows how hypocritical these people are.

To wit: there are a tiny handful of references to homosexuality (depending on how you interpret it) in the Bible. True, it doesn't appear that the Big Guy approves of it. But having studied the Bible, I'm forced to conclude that being gay is a relatively minor sin.

Greed, on the other hand, is condemned soundly, explicitly, and at much greater length in both the Old and New Testament. For every condemnation of homosexuality (however liberally you want to interpret it), I could probably find 10 times that condeming greed and the lust for money. But you never see the religious fanatics picketing Microsoft, or starting websites called 'God Hates Microsoft'.

-----
Ok, I feel better now! :)

Back