• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Byron Khun de Prorok

kamalktk

Antediluvian
I couldn't find a thread here on him, but I figured he is of fortean interest.

More at link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Khun_de_Prorok

"Count" Byron Khun de Prorok (1896–1954, born in Philadelphia as Francis Byron Khun) was a Polish-American amateur archaeologist, anthropologist, and author of four heroic travelogues. He has come to be regarded as the original tomb raider, "loved by audiences and held in contempt by the scientific community".

Count Byron De Prorok was educated at the University of Geneva. He worked on the excavations at Carthage from 1920 to 1925 and held the Archaeological Institute of America's prestigious Norton Lectureship in 1922–1923.

During the later 1920s and early 1930s, Prorok undertook a series of expeditions in Africa of dubious scientific value, pursuing ancient legends and eventually came to believe he had found evidence that proved Atlantis lay in North Africa, the true location of the fabled Biblical land of Ophir and what he supposed were the ruins of an ancient temple where Alexander the Great "became a god". In addition to these tremendous 'discoveries' he also claimed to be a member of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre, the Royal Archaeological Institute and The Royal Geographical Society.

His numerous critics say that this "count" Byron de Prorok was neither a real count nor an archaeologist, was expelled from The Royal Geographical Society (allegedly in 1932), who had "a vivid imagination" and "was given to gross exaggeration".

Regardless of his archaeological faults, De Prorok was a pioneer in using motion pictures, which he did first in 1920. However, none of his films survive.

His published works include Digging for Lost African Gods (1926), Mysterious Sahara: The Land of Gold, of Sand and of Ruin (1929), Dead Men Do Tell Tales (1933) and In Quest of Lost Worlds (1935).

Reminds me of Karl Mauch. He who discovered Great Zimbabwe but thought it was the palace of the Queen of Sheba.

Back