• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Can she patent 'Thick Bint' as well?

A

Anonymous

Peterborough United and Victoria Beckham are squaring up for a fight over the right to use the nickname 'Posh'.
The UK Patents Office confirmed that Victoria Beckham had lodged a counter-claim to the football club's application to register the nickname, 'The Posh', which they have used since the 1920s.

But Peterborough chief executive Geoff Davey is ready for a battle - and warned that the club faced serious financial implications if they were prevented from using the 'Posh' name on merchandising.

A statement from her publicity company said: "The name Posh is inexorably associated with Victoria Beckham in the public's mind."

It added: "The concern from her team is that they (the public) would think she had in some way endorsed products she had no knowledge of.

"Whilst Victoria accepts that the football club are nicknamed Posh, and might want to use the name in association with football products, there is no conceivable reason why they should need blanket coverage for every class of goods."

Davey said: "I was absolutely stunned when I got the letter [confirming the counter-claim].

"Mrs Beckham's opposition alleges that since the launch of the first Spice Girls CD in 1996, she has been commonly referred to as Posh or Posh Spice.

"She claims the nickname 'Posh' has become synonymous with her on a worldwide basis.

"Although she has not registered the name 'Posh' or 'Posh Spice', it is alleged that 'Posh' is a well-known trademark, at least in relation to musical performances, printed publications, musical recordings and other licensed goods.

"Our argument will be that Posh has been associated with the club since the 1920s."

Peterborough's use of the nickname is well-known and long-standing in football circles, although there are various explanations about its origin...

An impressed director eyeing up the players' appearance in their new kit said they looked 'Posh'.
or
A former manager said he wanted "posh players for a posh team" to play at the club's new ground.

"In 1998 we registered 'Posh' and 'The Posh' under the chairman's name," Davey told BBC Radio Five Live.

A Patents Office spokesman confirmed that Peterborough chairman Peter Boizot applied to register the club's use of the name in August 1998.

Trademark registration rules say that any application must be advertised for three months.

Peterborough's application was advertised in June this year, and a counter-claim was received in September.

"I just hope it doesn't come down to who has got the most money," said Davey.

Peterborough are currently up for sale, with a price tag of around £1.5m on the London Road club.

Thank God she's not in the 'Top 100 Great Britons'.
Actually, I haven't checked that - and now I'm afraid to just in case.:nooo:

where did the original report come from Adrian?

Dunno, I got sent it unattributed. (Should have made that clear, sorry)

bbc

A statement from her publicity company said: "The name Posh is inexorably associated with Victoria Beckham in the public's mind."

.....as is "shit"(usually with the word "singer" afterwords), although sheffield wednesday, who are also affectionatly known by that name, have not been approached yet by the ex-spice girl:D

Why doesn't she just buy Peterborough United ? 1.5m should be well within her weekly shopping budget.

Originally posted by Jima
.....as is "shit"(usually with the word "singer" afterwords), although sheffield wednesday, who are also affectionatly known by that name, have not been approached yet by the ex-spice girl
Note to libel lawyers: that's Jima, e-mail address on application to the very helpful moderators who will offer you every assistance in this matter..:)

Stu

Stu Neville said:
Note to libel lawyers: that's Jima, e-mail address on application to the very helpful moderators who will offer you every assistance in this matter..:)

Stu

i dont think it counts if its true....

I think patenting 'Thick Bint' will probably go up against Winona Ryder - though I daresay the latter is sick of courtrooms by now.

Stu Neville said:

*Points to the FT's Lawyers and waves*

Hello!

Niles "Hislop Impersonator" Calder

Peterborough are currently up for sale, with a price tag of around £1.5m on the London Road club. [/B][/QUOTE]

...whereas Mrs Beckham seems to be up for sale to anyone with a chequebook and a magazine to put her face in.

Hey! Diss the mighty Owls and me and the rest of their crowd will come and get you! And he may bring his whippet!

What a greedy, grasping cow!

Peterboro have been called the Posh for years . . .

I'll never buy a record of hers again . . .:nah: :p

Carole

VB is the perfect example of someone believing their own hype. The death of Diana created a void in the tabloids (that rhymes!) and other wealthy and glamorous people were needed to fill the hole. Like Liz Hurley, VB is famous merely because the newspapers choose to chronicle her every move. They fuel their own news stories. It's like the old adage, if you think something's important, then it must be.
Let's be clear that VB loves the adulation and if it stopped tomorrow I'm sure she couldn't cope with money alone.
The one time that the spotlight was off her and David was the time Madonna and Guy Ritchie were getting married. Amidst the media frenzy and clamour for news from Scotland, V and DB, not invited to the celebrity wedding, went out on the town......dressed in attention seeking tartan.
VB's attempts to buy certain words of the English language don't surprise me at all. I think we got a taste of her grasping character when she sued BA for 100k for a missing suitcase and demanded free first class flights for life for herself and her family.
My greatest, schadenfreudiest wish is that she wakes up tomorrow with absolutely no-one interested in what she wears, eats, speaks or holidays.
Anyone who says I'm merely jealous please bear this in mind: the world is full of talented people. I respect that talent and ultimately who it belongs to. What I can't abide is Wannabe's.

Back