• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Can You Pre-Program Your Own Dreams?

gattino

Justified & Ancient
I mean you personally.

I'm sure in the past I've gone to bed willing myself to dream of a particular thing, or to become lucid or whatever, but don't recallit ever happening to order.

But last night, as I'd just re-read an article about precog dreams, and have just started recording my dreams again, I closed my eyes before sleep and instructed myself, as if hypnotically, to dream precognitively with absolute accuracy and clarity.

Well I can't say so far any of them have proved accurate..they may yet..but there was something of note. Each of the 3 dreams I recorded in the night referenced ..er..precognitive dreams. That's to say part of the plot of each story involved me suddenly remembering I'd dreamt the very scenario I was in the middle of the night before and telling someone about the fact.

This was peculiar to me.. that one way or another I'd lead myself to dream of the subject I planted in my own head immediately before sleep, albeit not exactly in hte manner I'd hoped. (unless of course it wasn't my "instructions that wre the trigger, but my general reading on the subject).

It should be worth experimenting with to see i f I can dream to order on other things.

Given the common refrain of having nightmares after watching a scary movie, I'd have to wager most people are capable of pre-programming dreams since it happens to them, albeit unintentionally. Nightmares after scary movies are why I don't watch them before bed.

I suppose the trick would be to be able to pre-program specific things into the dream. I suppose you'd also have to figure out how to wake in a state to remember the dream, since most dreams go by when we are sleeping peacefully.

Then again, being able to "dream your dreams" may make waking life a less attractive option than constant sleep.

I've often gone to sleep trying to imagine the same thing, hoping it would turn into an entertaining dream later that night... 8)

To date it has never once worked! :cry:

All wholesome family friendly material, I'll wager.

I'd love to have entertaining dreams, but I mostly wake up with no recollection of anything.

There're youtube videos which're claimed to help you achieve lucid dreams, which I suppose is a similar idea. You play them last thing and they do the rest.

I tried a few 'relaxation' and 'meditation' ones a while back. Can't say they helped much, except that the lucid dreaming one seemed to give me awful nightmares.

(I've now gone back to M.R. James stories on Librivox and for that stubborn 3am wakefulness, any droning male voice podcast will do. :lol: )

escargot1 said:

(I've now gone back to M.R. James stories on Librivox and for that stubborn 3am wakefulness, any droning male voice podcast will do. :lol: )
I find that recordings of old radio comedy programmes, like I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, Round the Horn, Radio Active, On the Hour, etc. Are excellent night time sleep inducers. Radio4 Extra is the place to find them.

Hmm..well last night I tried to instruct myself in a similar way to dream of a particular thing, and sure enough the elements of my request, although split up, did indeed occur in my dreams. Interesting.

There's more to it than that, but I'd have to be even more long winded than usual to give the whole account.

Oo.. I've just had a thought.

Every year I try some half-arsed attempt to psychically foresee the winner of the Grand National. I've never succeeded yet, but - like the best fortune tellers - am always able to make the name of the actual winner retrospectively fit what I almost said.

Anyway I've just had a strange half memory that sometime in the last week or so I had a dream related to the coming race (or at least the faint whisp of a memory that I later made such an association). I recall nothing ofhte dream or circumstances, its just an annoying tug on a lost memory. For some reason James Dean, whether the name or the man, feels like it had somethng to do with it.

So anyway my point is why don't I instruct myself tonight to try and dream about the winner. So far I know of no names of any actual runners this year, so I'll be performing the exercise without the influence of any knowledge. If I successfully dream of the race and come out of it with a name that fits a real runner, it will at least be interesting....

Well I tried ...and had absolutely no dreams involving horse races.

I did, in a waking between dreams state, try and conjure up the winning name by other means.. ie willing it to pop into my head, which is completely not what I set out to do in this supposed experiment!..and the words "October Surprise" or "october revolution" popped up. The former certainly sounds like the name of a real horse.

I was determined to not actually find out who is running in this year's national so that the names I read don't influence any further attempts at being "psychic". Unfortunately I have the will power of a starving pig and have just googled this years race.

There are no horses with names remotely suggestive of either James Dean or the words October surprise. Ah well.

On a side note however, unrelated to me but perhaps to synchronicitous significance, I note there are improbably two horses in the race with the word Milan in their name. I draw attention to this as I recall last year there were several sea/fishy horses including two Neptunes. One of which I think won. I remember this as I did another experiment then at "forseeing" and came up with a fish/sea related imagery, bet on two of them that fit the bill, and it was ****ing third one that won.

oo..I said there was no horse with a name suggestive of James Dean.

I see in fact there is one called..erm.. Vintage Star.

Shit!!! One of my dreams last night involved a wall covered in black and white photos of old vintage movie stars...I walked into a room and there were several other old hollywood types, connery, peter cushing, christopher lee, in period costumes.

Whether it predicts the race winner or not I'm fairly convinced it foresaw me drawing attention to the horse of that name.

Oh I definitely will. Of course the way these things work, it won't win but will be notable for being the first to fall..and/or the actual winner in retrospect will have a name whose relevance only becomes obvious after its won. But for now I'm going to say if you're foolish and superstitious enough to trust my dreams, put a penny or two on Vintage Star.

One slight side bet/note on the actual dream... with the veteran stars in period costume, on set, part I was trying to take a photo of them all in it, but someone got in the way or the flash wouldn't go off..eventually it did and I managed to get a pic in which they were all in shot, lined up against one side f the picture. I wonder if this could be suggestive of a false start or a photo finish?

Oh damn, blast and buggery.

So enamoured of the idea I'd finally found a way to predict an outcome - oh how the doubters would weep! - I just dug out and posted a couple of photos taken in a hollywood themed bar a few years ago of me and a friend beneath giant size black and white pictures of Clark Gable and Rudolf Valentino, by way of pushing hte Vintage Star to win the National theme. They are very much like the images onthe wall in the dream. As soon as I'd done so it hit me what a stupid thing I'd just done....

If we take seriously my starting point that the dream contained imagery pertinent to upcoming events, how can I know htey foretold the result of the race rather than, say, the fact of me posting those photos!? D'oh!

I realise that's circular, as I only posted the photos because of the dream. But I may have just created a temporal paradox.

Don't you just HATE it when that happens? :(

In one of my books there's an account of someone trying to pick horse race winners through dreaming or something, can't remember exactly. They 'see' the numbers 20/20 but can't find any way to relate the numbers to the horses.

Later they noticed that the winner was called Twenty Twenty. :D

Last night I emerged from my dreams with a number - 273 - which, in the dream plot was a room number. The fact I emphasised and remembered it left me naturally feeling instinctively that it matters..but I can find no correlation between it and any horse in the race.

gattino said:
Last night I emerged from my dreams with a number - 273 - which, in the dream plot was a room number. The fact I emphasised and remembered it left me naturally feeling instinctively that it matters..but I can find no correlation between it and any horse in the race.
Might be a date - February '73. Maybe the birthday of a trainer or jockey..?
Alternatively, 27th of March - birthday of trainer, jockey, horse, or stable lad..? ;)

Or, Minus 273 deg C is absolute zero, the coldest temperature possible... Any temperature references?

Or, 27 is 3 cubed, 3^3, or 3 to the power of three... a reference to 'power' perhaps...

8)

Overthinking has its uses and I now have a glimmer of a way out of the paradox which still allows for me to have genuinely predicted the winner too.

The reason I initially settled on Vintage Star as the relevant horse was not because of the preceding night's dream - that merely seemd to be the absolute confirmation - but because of the half remembered James Dean thing from days earlier.

So step outside of time and space and view me as always having honed in on VS for that simple reason:the James Dean connection. Having done so I was always going to bet on it and always going to post those photos of old Hollywood idols. And it was this latter event - the posting of the photos - that then caused the relevant images of silver screen actors to turn up inmy dreams a few nights earlier. Paradox solved, the fabric of reality restored.

Phew.

I don't have the resources to check out the birthdays I mentioned.

But looking at a list of the runners, the best link I can find with my other suggestions comes from 273:- TeaForThree (which appears to be the favourite!) 8)

But backing my own interests, I'd go for Tidal Bay (14-1).
What's more, I got a good omen about that this morning, though I didn't realise it at the time. I was checking the stats on my website, cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com
(which normally averages about 20 hits per day) and found that yesterday it had recorded 65 hits! That was higher than any day for the last month! (There were only 3 days with above 40 hits in that period.)

So, have the Gods spoken? And do I put a few bob on it? 8)

Once we go down the road of looking for all possible types of signs and portents you end up selecting about 50% of the horses!

2 years ago, my last attempt to forecast, I decided - for reasons unknown - that the sudden flash in my minds eye a few nights before the race of something like a shark must relate to the winner of the National. Why it must is something I never gave any attention to! So I looked out for a suitably named horse and wouldnt you know there was a seabass (the favourite) and two different horses with Neptune in their name. To add a further layer I noted that as Party Politics had won during a general election, that 2012's Titanic commemorations would be equally portentous of a sea themed horsey winning.

I bet on seabass and one of hte neptunes. The other ****ing Neptune won.

If we follow the party politics/titanic theory then, in this year of WWI commemorations we'd have to pay attention to the horse called Battle Group.
And then again as one of the two horses called Neptune won then does that bode well for one of the two horses in this race called Milan?
How many picks does that make so far?

So in the interests of sanity I'll stick with Vintage Star.

Speaking of vintage stars.... last nights dreams were littered with the (apt!) Doris Day song Que Sera Sera playing over and over in my mind. This morning someone on my Facebook newsfeed has posted an unrelated Doris Day song, and someone on the message boards of another website has reported its the 90th birthday of Doris Day.

More vintage stars...because of the horse racing (the irony) the normal morning TV fare was offlimits today so I flicked throuhg channels and left it on an episode of Magnum. He's attending a party in which the guests are all dressed as er...vintage stars. "Who are they?" "That's Douglas Fairbanks and John Barrymore."

Here's a link recounting both a classic and more recent accounts of precognitive dreams of the winning horse in the National (and other horse races)

http://www.67notout.com/2010/09/precogn ... uture.html

What's interesting to note is that in all of the incidents the dreamer actually dreamt directly of the race and winning horse itself, which I don't appear to have done... I'm relying on interpretation and symbolism.

A second thing of note though is to wonder, especially in the case of hte latter gentleman, why he would be dreaming of something he had no interest in outside of the fact of having the dream. Back to time loops and vicious circles.

ooh, I noticed that name beforehand but I didn't back it for some reason, maybe I'm not destined to be rich! ;)

:rofl:

Now this is getting damn creepy.....

Last night, not so much in a dream but in the brief moments waking between dreams I found myself going back to the subject of the race and trying to visualise it and saw in my mind's eye the colours/jockey's silks/whatever the term is. Very clearly and decided to record it in to the tape in case I forgot. The shirt was yellow and green quarters.

This morning the newspapers finally have hteir pull out sweepstakes for the race, listing all the horses and they always include a little graphic of each jockey's colours. I scanned through it looking for ones in yellow and green quarters. Of the 40 horses running two had those colours/design.

One of them is....... Vintage Star.

I've gone back to my original online source for the names of the horses and booky webiste I bet on to check if those colours were displayed there in case I'd picked it up unconsciously or in my peripheral vision earlier in the week. But no.

Not too much I hope! The unsolvable conundrum remains:

Assuming I foresaw the future - who says I was seeing the colours of the horse that's going to win? It may more simply - and annoyingly - be that I was foreseeing the colours of the horse I've already decided to follow!

By the way I have bet on it. I chose an online bookie whose special offer (they all have them, the nature of which differs between them) for opening an account is that your first bet (up to a certain amount) will be paid back to you if you lose. So in theory I have a small fortune to gain and nothing to lose.

For sale: one tent on Blackpool Pier. Shop worn Crystal Ball thrown in.

ooh, I noticed that name beforehand but I didn't back it for some reason, maybe I'm not destined to be rich! ;)

:rofl:

Back