• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Can you see anything?

markclaire

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My old school has an old manor on its grounds. We used to be fascinated as kids, the abandoned house used to look incredibly spooky. It was vacant at the time (now an old peoples home) and alot of old fasioned furniture was still in the house, making looking in through the windows very spooky indeed.
Anyway, it had fairly decent sized grounds, and at the time, everything was still pretty much there, including an old fountain, very old benches and a patio etc.

Then, I found this pic on the web of the patio etc with the school in the background. Brings back memories, and I think the place was derelict at this point. But look at the bench on the right:

click

Click on 'Zoom Image' - Can you see someone (possibly 2 people?) sitting on the bench? I saw something odd straight away, a hazy image. I see at least one person, with black hair and possibly a white dress, sittings sideways.

Thoughts?

RS

stu edit - humungous url tidied up

That's a good spot. Especially as it is a library pic from a reliable source with no 'agenda' to shock.

I see one person only, 'man' sitting side on, but for me, it's a simulacrum.

Interesting though, thanks.

Sharp eyes.

I 'see' two figures: possibly a male and a female.

I hope you won't be too offended if I say that your old school monstrously spoils the view from the gardens.

Theyithian

Not at all, I couldn't stand the ugly place anyway!

Yes, I'm still looking at it now. I'm fascinated by it. Maybe a child sat on a females lap?

It is interesting but I think there is a stem from a plant in the foreground which is blurred as it is too close. Interesting pic though.

It's interesting as the semi-opaque figure on the right - male to my eyes - blocks our view of a baluster which one presumes is present. It's hard to say for certain due to the grainy print/scan.

I can see the figure on the bench, I think it's just the light...

If you look through the slats on the bench, you can see some sort of shadow blocking the light coming through, which matches the position on the bench where the figure is sitting. Also, it's clear that the apparition is behind the back of the bench, but in front of the baluster.

It's weird, I still see a female with someone sat in front of them. But fascinating to here what other's see!!!

I had to look at the zoom view to see anything at all, and what I do see makes me think of a lady from a 'Gainsborough' style painting, sitting sideways on. There is another figure but I cannot really decide what I think it looks like, - possibly a child?

I tend to agree with JackDark, that it is a simulacrum.

Your story sounds fascinating though, do you know when the picture could have been taken?

I see them. To me the first figure is sitting sideways on and looks like a young woman. The second figure looks like an old woman to me. The first womens hair is a style that was still popular in the 1940s, but their dress looks like its from the late 1800s - early 1900s, especially the second figure. Its very hard to tell for the first figure though without seeing the waistline. She does look more modern than the second figure, but that could also come down to age and class difference of the times :x

Its a great optical illusion if they infact dont exist!

Im wasting far too much time with this now! I can see a third figure standing - a woman, and possible fourth figure in the pic. If I hadnt just woken up from a fine nights sleep Id say I was tired and seeing things :lol:

The second figures dress and hair is very simular to this (in my eyes anyway):
http://www.100megspop3.com/adira/victor ... photoa.jpg

The first figure is wearing something like this - simular hair too but the hair is flowing at the back:
http://www.agelesspatterns.com/pp212.GIF

The third figure looks like she has some sort of cape and hat on.
Im interested to know if anyone else sees roughly the same as what I see?

Eta - to ad & fix link.

Third figure, hair & hat simular to this, though her hat is smaller:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/1890 ... athead.jpg

Outfit could either be something like this:
http://www.fashion-era.com/images/Edwds ... 600x20.jpg

Or it could be something like this:
http://www.fashion-era.com/images/Coats ... 400x55.jpg

Fascinating, to be honest Ms I can't see more than the two figures I mentioned. Any chance you could mark on the pic where abouts you see them and post?

The hairstyles and dress sense you linked to were exactly what I was thinking. I do though still see a child sat in front of her, being held up or stood on her knee. Interesting that no one else can see that though.

I'll dig up some info today on the building and post. It used to be the residence of the Earl Of Chesterfield, and I think King Edward stayed there at some point. But I'll check my facts first.

Of course, all this could just be simulcra! But when I first enjoyed the photo, the figures just stood out so much. If nothing else, it's intriguing.

RS

Ok peeps, a spot of history:

"The site was once part of the great Forest of Sherwood and probably designated as an area known as the Thorneywood Chase.
Gedling Manor or Gedling Lodge, as it is sometimes known, was a hunting lodge, which was visited by Kings of England who enjoyed the hunt. It is just a few metres away from the Gedling House Woods."

"Formerly Gedling Lodge, shooting box of the Earl of Chesterfield. Edward VII (when Prince of Wales) stayed here on a visit to the Earl of Carnarvon."

Edward II became king in 1901, so at least we know his visit predates that! He was born in 1841, but at the moment I cannot get a more accurate detail of his visit, but I would like to assume that, giving age etc, it was probably sometime in the last 40 years of the 19th century. I'm trying to dig out some more accurate dates on the building.

MsQkxyz, interesting that the dates you put forward for the period dress you suggested reside around 1880 - 1899.

It sounds like the place has an interesting history!
I have a terribly slow computer at the moment, but I shall attempt to mark the pic later today for you.

It was pleasing to find that the costumes I see are all from around the same time period! I just came across this in relation to hair in the Edwardian era. (I thought that the long hair I can see on the first figure didnt seem historically accurate for a young woman of that time period, but perhaps not after all...)

Projecting Body Image - Putting up the Hair
A girl signalled that she was ready for marriage and the social round by projecting her 'body image'. She achieved this by using a series of signs and symbols, the first of which was putting up her hair:-

Brushing the hair, a young woman's crowning glory.

From an advert in the Lady's Realm for 'Tatcho' a hair tonic.

'Loose, uncut hair is seen both as a symbol of virginity and a symbol of promiscuity..... The girl in Edwardian England who put up her hair to signify that she had reached maturity was symbolically offering her virginity in the marriage market.' and

'Girls often looked forward to the privilege of lengthening their skirts and doing up their hair with much the same ardour as older women now seek to preserve the external signs of adolescence.'

http://www.fashion-era.com/the_mood_of_ ... ty.htm#The Mood Of Edwardian High Society

I hope this is clear enough - I couldnt work out how to draw in colour, plus Im not too good at the drawing part either :? Figure 1 especially is a bit wonky on the side...

forteantimes.jpg

Is that the child you see Markclaire, just above where Ive attempted to point to one?

Ms, yes thats the child I see. Your annotations are interesting.

I am however quite keen to not see things that aren't there! The whole thing fascinates me though. Maybe we are just seeing things, but I'd like to think we have a ghost family on film :lol:

Back