• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Can't Remember The Name Of A Film...

DougalLongfoot

Abominable Snowman
I have a memory of a rather strange horror film, possibly made in the 70's or early 80's. As far as I can recall it is set in a village in Britain that is rather isolated having been bypassed by a new motorway, essentially no one visits this place anymore. The villain is a faded 60's rock star who lives in a rundown mansion who has become a sort of cult leader to the local yokels. I can't remember the main gist of the film, doubtless some sort of "murder any outsiders that come to our village". The final scene has the police finally arriving and the villain leaping to his death from the roof of his mansion.

Probably a "Wicker Man" rip off?
Does it ring any bells?
Not that it was a great movie, but it has been bugging me for years trying to remember what it was called.

It wasn't one of the "Hammer House of Horror" shorts, or possibly a "Tales of the Unexpected", was it? Having said that, a very brief glance at the episode list for those shows on Wiki doesn't reveal anything similar.

Certainly rings bells. I seem to recall a couple who got run off the main road by an aggressive lorry driver, at which point they took to the lanes and ended up in this "stranded" village.

That sounds like a Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense episode:

Black Carrion

Paul Chater is a freelance journalist trying to track down a famous but reclusive pop duo of the 1960s, brothers Ray and Ron Verne. Paul and his girlfriend Cora Berlaine track them down to an isolated manor house in the country, where they find the Verne Brothers leading a macabre life, caught in a time warp. But who is hunting whom?

The locals end up as hobos in the village killing anyone who comes to the village and throwing their cars into a quarry.

Spot on! That's exactly what I was thinking of, Heckler. The couple I remember were just the prologue, it seems.

Thanks Heckler, that's it exactly. Just found a YouTube clip that confirms it:

http://youtu.be/ZbrrFAUG8y4

The song featured in this clip is something else I remember. Came out in 1984, so I must have been 10-12 when I saw it.

Hammer must have made it to Australia Peripart!

If it helps, the episode had the Johnny Kidd and the Pirates tune 'Shakin' all over' as the tune playing throughout, that triggers flashbacks for the female Journalist.

It's usually the Hammer HoM&S episode about the strangers caught in the house with green goo coming down the chimney that people are trying to remember! Nice to see another one mentioned.

Back