• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Car Coincidence

47Forteans

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Returning from the shopping on Sunday I noticed that the car parked in the space opposite mine was the same make, model and colour as mine, and the number plate was almost identicle to my own, but the last number was one off. How freaky is that? How often does that happen?!

Hi 47Forteans.

Well, it happened to me. To the point that I actually mistook the car for mine and couldn't understand why the key wouldn't open it.

It was only until I looked about me in confusion that I saw MY car, and hurried over to it extremely embaressed.

Happily no one saw my error. :)

Hello 47,

Seeing you live in NSW like me - it is not actually rare at all.

Happens this way:

Dealer buys bunch of cars (usually end of run models) in none too popular colour(s) or specs from the factory/importer.

Registers them all in one day (with usually consectutive numbers, whatever the RTA has on the day), and sells them at a discount as "demonstrators".

My wife bought a Mazda that way in Bankstown, and we saw (and still see) nearly identical plates on nearly identical cars a-plenty!

I knew that there'd be "sibling" cars out there, but until this happened I didn't expect to see one parked right near mine. I recall reading in FT a while back a man had an similar incident, where he saw a combi van that was one number up from the one he had owned several years before, so I figured that it was not an uncommon thing, but I didn't think I'd ever see a "sibling" car.

I had a similar thing happen to me... only I tried to change the windscreen wipers on the dopplevehicle. I couldn't get them off and after about five minutes of trying I noticed they were not worn down and didn't need changing as mine did. i returned in doors to ask who had changed them for me then looking out of the window I spotted my own car further down the side walk

I never saw it, but at one point there was a car being driven around London that was identical to mine in every respect. Someone had 'rung' it, taken a stolen or written off car the same make and year and copied my number plate. They then proceeded to break the speed limit/park in disabled parking spaces/do what they damn well pleased, causing us untold grief until one day we got a letter from an insurance company telling us that we were responsible for writing off their client's car. Since we could show that our car hadn't been in an accident that was the end of the matter.

Less than a year ago I bought a Vauxhall Corsa, 2nd-hand but the latest of the 3 'facelifts', still well outnumbered in the UK by the older versions. Its 'aqua' colour, a light pearly green or blue according to the beholder, was sufficiently unusual that I'd never noticed it before, although it's gradually becoming more common. (The log book describes it as 'silver', which it is - at night under sodium lights!)

About 3 months ago, as I came up to a local 3-way mini-roundabout, an identical model and colour car reached it from each of the other two roads simultaneously. Trivial, but amusing.

As my car is 2nd-hand and originally from a different part of the UK, the 3 cars involved couldn't all have been due to a local 'dealer-cluster'.

milk23 said:
I had a similar thing happen to me... only I tried to change the windscreen wipers on the dopplevehicle. I couldn't get them off and after about five minutes of trying I noticed they were not worn down and didn't need changing as mine did. i returned in doors to ask who had changed them for me then looking out of the window I spotted my own car further down the side walk

For the sake of statistics, I'd like to mention that almost the exact same thing happened to me: Used my key to open a car of the same make, model, and colour as mine, and only noticed once I was inside it that it wasn't mine.

Back