• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Carnacki the Ghost Finder, is the supernatural detective hero of a series of short stories by the author, William Hope Hodgson. Hodgson is more famous for for writing, House on the Borderland. I suspect that there might be the odd fan, or two?

Proper Fortean fare.

Anyway, one of the posters on another forum that I frequent has contributed a story to a new compilation of Carnacki stories, Carnacki: The New Adventures.

Not sure when it's coming out, but might be worth keeping an eye out for.

Will keep you posted.

Ooh thanks for that, I adore all of W H Hodgson's stuff, especially the Carnacki stories. Please post again when you know the publisher and release date.

Back in 2004, the word "dreeness" could be found in only one location online:

William Hope Hodgson said:
It might have been an hour later that it came to me suddenly that I was aware of an extraordinary sense of dreeness, as it were, come into the air of the place. Not the nervous feeling of mystery that had been with us all the time; but a new feeling, as if there were something going to happen any moment.
"The House Among the Laurels" -- 1910

Yes, the word "dreeness" was in danger of vanishing into the mists of time...

Fortunately, an intrepid, brilliant, nice-smelling young hero stepped forward, and began the task of rescuing the word "dreeness" from obscurity.

And today, the word "dreeness" is used by thousands, nay, millions of people each day, all around the world.

Yay, me!

:roll:

Single-handedly, you rescued a word from obscurity.

I'm full of admiration.

IIRC some of the cases investigated by Carnacki had "rational" explanations, some were mixed and some "supernatural". Always thought that the X files would have benefited from that!

Donald Pleasence played Carnacki at least once on TV - The Whistling Room.

A new collection should be good, but beware, some of the imitators of Holmes have been pretty dire!

Hodgson was a much, much better writer than HP Lovecraft, as was Arthur Machen.

Back