• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cat Power

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
German inventor's "cat fuel" angers animal lovers

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German inventor has angered animal rights activists with his answer to fighting the soaring cost of fuel -- dead cats.

Christian Koch, 55, from the eastern county of Saxony, told Bild newspaper that his organic diesel fuel -- a home-made blend of garbage, run-over cats, and other ingredients -- is a proven alternative to normal consumer diesel.

"I drive my normal diesel-powered car with this mixture," Koch said. "I have gone 170,000 km (106,000 miles) without a problem."

The website of Koch's firm, "Alphakat GmbH", says his patented "KDV 500" machine can produce what he calls the "bio-diesel" fuel at about 23 euro cents (30 cents) a litre, which is about one-fifth the price at petrol stations now.

Koch said around 20 dead cats added into the mix could help produce enough fuel to fill up a 50-litre (11 gallon) tank.

But the president of the German Society for the Protection of Animals, Wolfgang Apel, said using dead cats for fuel was illegal.

"There's no danger for cats and dogs in Germany because this practice is outlawed in Germany," Apel told Bild on Wednesday in a story entitled "Can you really make fuel out of cats?"

"We're going to keep an eye on this case," Apel said.

Source

[Emp edit: Fixing big link]

Inventor: I never used dead cats for fuel

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:51 PM ET167

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German inventor said he has developed a method to produce crude oil products from waste that he believes can be an answer to the soaring costs of fuel, but denied a German newspaper story implying he also used dead cats.

Christian Koch, an inventor and patent holder of the "KDV 500" that he said produces high quality fuel, said he can transform waste products such as paper, rubbish and plastic materials into fuel.

But Koch, 55, said there was no truth to stories published in Bild newspaper Tuesday and Wednesday that suggested he used dead cats as part of the mix for his organic diesel fuel.

"I use paper, plastics, textiles and rubbish," Koch told Reuters.

"It's an alternative fuel that is friendly for the environment. But it's complete nonsense to suggest dead cats. I've never used cats and would never think of that. At most the odd toad may have jumped in."

Bild Tuesday wrote a headline: "German inventor can turn cats into fuel -- for a tank he needs 20 cats." The paper on Wednesday followed up with a story entitled: "Can you really make fuel out of cats?"

A spokesman for Bild told Reuters the story was meant to show that cat remains could "in theory" be used to make fuel with Koch's patented method.

The author of the story said Koch had never told him directly that he had used dead cats as the story implied.

The website of Koch's firm, "Alphakat GmbH," says his patented "KDV 500" machine can produce what he calls the "bio-diesel" fuel at about 23 euro cents (30 cents) a liter, which is about one-fifth the price at petrol stations now.

"I drive my normal diesel-powered car with this mixture," Koch is quoted saying in Bild, next to a large picture of a kitten. "I have gone 170,000 km (106,000 miles) without a problem."

----------------
© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

Source

Don't you just love reporters? :roll:

I imagine the interview went something like:

Reporter: so you can make fuel out of rubbish?

Inventer: yes, anything biodegradable

Reporter: even roadkill, like cats?

Inventer: (bemused) yes

How you get from that to the idea that you need 20 of the feline critters for a full tank is anyones guess.

[conspiracy] we obviously can't have anyone upsetting the oil industry with a good idea [/conspiracy] ;)

Jane.

For a minute I thought this thread was about Chan Marshall. :D

Link

If a dead cat can beused then anydead remains of living creatures even people could possibly be used as well, then he could of just meant dead cats as an example that even dead animals or peoplecan be used?

Some Animal rights activists don't look into things enough before they act sometimes. :roll:

shades of "Soylent Green"..
a purrfectly natural alternative................ :)

Soylent Green.
a movie,now on dvd.....an absolute cult classic...

some of the notables being

Charlton Heston
Leigh Taylor-Young
Chuck Connors
Edward G. Robinson

rather than pre-empt your enjoyment, hire it and have a watch.

wombat103 said:
Soylent Green.
a movie,now on dvd.....an absolute cult classic...

some of the notables being

Charlton Heston
Leigh Taylor-Young
Chuck Connors
Edward G. Robinson

rather than pre-empt your enjoyment, hire it and have a watch.

Whats that got to do with alternative fuel? :lol:

Since it has Charton Heston in it, is there any shooting in it?

wombat103 said:
hire it and have a watch.

Its also shown quite a lot on TV - I'm pretty sure TCM show it about once a month (but you'd need to check).

It is essential viewing - if you are going for a Chuckfest then throw in The Omega Man (although make sure you watch the superior version of I am Legend - Last Man on Earth). Then pos. They Live (see the John Carpenter thread - if you haven't seen it then watch The Thing too. Then check out the Cronenberg thread)?

short answer....................yes.

and just to throw in a curly one........

now that you have watched the movie.......how do you now percieve..."furniture".................... :twisted:

MaxMolyneux said:
It is essential viewing - if you are going for a Chuckfest then throw in The Omega

I'll watch any Chuck Heston stuff with shooting in it.

Some of my American branch of the family are in the NRA so I'm sure I could see if I could get some tapes of NRA rallies ;)

I always found Chuck better when looking granite jawed yet slightly surpised - like when he played Moses ;)

How apt--Bowling for Columbine was on TV last night.

Mighty_Emperor said:
MaxMolyneux said:
It is essential viewing - if you are going for a Chuckfest then throw in The Omega

I'll watch any Chuck Heston stuff with shooting in it.

Some of my American branch of the family are in the NRA so I'm sure I could see if I could get some tapes of NRA rallies ;)

I always found Chuck better when looking granite jawed yet slightly surpised - like when he played Moses ;)

What dothe NRA do exactly?I know they talk about safety and dangers of weapons, but what else?

MaxMolyneux said:
What dothe NRA do exactly?I know they talk about safety and dangers of weapons, but what else?

Sit around and polish their weapons whilst discussing the merits of the penetrative abilities of the full metal jacketed round versus the stopping power of for example the Glaser fragmentation round.

At a guess ;)

Heckler20 said:
MaxMolyneux said:

Sit around and polish their weapons whilst discussing the merits of the penetrative abilities of the full metal jacketed round versus the stopping power of for example the Glaser fragmentation round.

At a guess ;)

Like in the Simpsons were Homer joins the NRA. They were just talking about how they stopped punks with their rifles in it. :lol:

MaxMolyneux said:
What do the NRA do exactly?I know they talk about safety and dangers of weapons, but what else?

National Rivers Authority
UK government agency launched in 1989. It had responsibility for managing water resources, investigating and regulating pollution, and taking over flood controls and land drainage from the former ten regional water authorities of England and Wales. In April 1996, the NRA was replaced by the Environment Agency, having begun to establish a reputation for being supportive to wildlife projects and tough on polluters.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/ency ... 27296.html

The National Roads Authority was formally established as an independent statutory body under the Roads Act, 1993, with effect from 1 January 1994.

The Authority's primary function, under the Roads Act 1993, is 'to secure the provision of a safe and efficient network of national roads'. For this purpose, it has overall responsibility for planning and supervision of construction and maintenance works on these roads.

http://www.nra.ie/

Founded in 1919, the National Restaurant Association is the leading business association for the restaurant industry. Together with the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation, the Association's mission is to represent, educate and promote a rapidly growing industry that is comprised of 900,000 restaurant and foodservice outlets employing 12.2 million people.

http://www.restaurant.org/aboutus/

A long-standing commitment to rehabilitation

Mission Statement:
"The National Rehabilitation Association (NRA) is a member organization whose mission is to promote ethical and excellent practice in rehabilitation."

Vision Statement:
To be the premier organization of diverse professionals committed to the empowerment of all people with disabilities.

Not long after Congress passed the National Rehabilitation Act of 1920, the National Rehabilitation Association (NRA) began its commitment to persons with disabilities. As the oldest and strongest advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities, our mission is to provide advocacy, awareness and career advancement for professionals in the fields of rehabilitation.

Our members include rehab counselors, physical, speech and occupational therapists, job trainers, consultants, independent living instructors and other professionals involved in the advocacy of programs and services for people with disabilities.

http://www.nationalrehab.org/website/history/index.html

Loadsastuff.

Back