• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Catfish (Movie)

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
On TV tonight, Catfish also had a small cinema release late last year ,plus is out on DVD.

Although the trailer makes it out to be a "found footage" horror movie, Catfish is instead -
A reality thriller that is a shocking product of our times, Catfish is a riveting story of love, deception and grace within a labyrinth of online intrigue.
- it's also one of those films which makes you question how much is true... the filmmakers swear it's all real, and was shot the way you see it... but... well, you can make your own minds up tonight on More4...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/catfish

I've seen it and they appear to be real people involved, although how much they were manufacturing their narrative when they realised they had a story on their hands might be open to question. The big twist (which is guessable) depends a lot on how much you believe what's going on for its effect, mind you.

Asuming the twist is what I think it is, wasn;t there a very similar movie to this 3 or 4 years ago that used a similar premise but with a little girl with cancer and her mother?

BlackRiverFalls said:
Asuming the twist is what I think it is, wasn;t there a very similar movie to this 3 or 4 years ago that used a similar premise but with a little girl with cancer and her mother?

Not sure, was it a documentary? Any more details?

I just remember someone telling me about it, i think a movie, based on a true story of a caller to a talk radio show who had a daughter with cancer, with the erm, obvious twist.

I saw this on TV a while ago.
Crap.

BlackRiverFalls said:
I just remember someone telling me about it, i think a movie, based on a true story of a caller to a talk radio show who had a daughter with cancer, with the erm, obvious twist.

Could it be The Night Listener with Robin Williams?

See here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448075/

I haven't seen that, but Catfish does sound like an internet version of the not who they seem to be yarn there, though you could apply that to any number of worrying real life incidents of people pretending to be someone they're not online for their own dubious gratification. So the Catfish tale could well be true.

Yes, that is it.

May have been better for not having an internet premise to it, at least the idea was a bit less encountered and took more work (and creep out factor) to pull off before people had a keyboard to hide behind.

The whole internet false identity thing is too well established now, whereas (spoiler text) the idea of a mentally disturbed woman on the phone pretending to be a 10 year old girl with cancer is rather chillingly batshit. :eek!!!!:

Not seen it though, so it may be rubbish.

I think we should do more film reviews and opinion pieces from people who haven't actually seen the movie in question.

In fact - I think there should be a whole thread on it.

I'll start. Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Audrey Hepburn looks pretty skinny so I'm assuming it wasn't a bacon double-cheeseburger and hash browns but it would be now. Followed by a quick trip to the vomitorium, And then she's sipping a Starbucks anarexio-skinny latte coffee while the logo of her Apple (financially better off than the US Govt) laptop fills the screen as she ditzily effs about about hats and shoes and stuff.

I was just saying that the idea of a weirdo behind a keyboard is less freaky than the idea of a weirdo doing screwy voices on a phone.

Maybe the movie is wonderful, I do not know.

Reviewing a movie you haven't seen...here goes , i am reading Atonement right now , and so far it is dire , and since books are always better then the movies that are based on em, then the movie atonement is CRAP!!

My house mates got a DVD called Planet Terror, the blurb says

"A hell for leather orgy of guns, guts and gazongas" **** (NOTW)

How have I missed this????

Catfish is repeated on More4 next week.

But tonight, Channel 4 are showing Talhotblond, which sometimes gets mentioned alongside Catfish-

A true story of how online deception and lies can lead to revenge and real-life murder

Talhotblond is the true story (and screen name) of a beautiful teenage vixen who uses internet game rooms to lure men into her cyberspace web.

When she discovers she's been double crossed and lied to by one of her victims, she wants revenge, and unleashes a fantasy online that escalates into real-life murder.

All because of a girl no one ever met in person.

Drawing from exclusive access to internet messages, secret notes and letters, as well as police evidence files and exclusive prison interviews, talhotblond details the horrific results of what can happen when people lie online.

Next on Channel 4
Wed 18 Jan, 10PM

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/talh ... /episode-1

I found Catfish quite depressing, the woman's life isn't great :(

I do fear that we are now going to have a million films made about "social networking" in one way or another!

Also, I wanna review a film I've never seen: Pretty Woman - a film about some hookers in the 1980's and one gets lucky and finds a rich guy. :D

Catfish TV Show Will Exploit More Sad Internet Liars

Catfish was a documentary (allegedly) about the deception of an online relationship: it reminded us how easy it is to lie, to present a false version of yourself, and to find a connection with someone who doesn't exist.

It was completely unsettling, and after it was over, we returned to Facebook and moved on with our lives.

Whatever lesson Catfish had to impart was lost on most of us — and some people will face the consequences in a new reality show on MTV.

Yes, Catfish will follow internet couples who have never met. The twist, of course, is that one of the people involved is a total phony, probably operating several Facebook accounts and generally being a creep. What fun to have both sides of these misguided pairings exposed on television.

Catfish filmmaker and subject Yaniv Schulman developed the series with filmmaker Max Joseph. Schulman acknowledged that most of the stories the show documents do not have happy endings — because that's what happens when you create a false persona to date strangers on the internet.

Like the film Catfish (and every other reality show MTV has ever aired), the series will likely face claims of authenticity. It's going to have to be extra sad and weird to keep dubious viewers turning in — but are we really ready for The Real Housewives of Facebook?
http://gawker.com/reality-tv/

If this film interested you, check out the recent The Imposter for another "Did this really happen?!" documentary. Although the background to this one was in the FT so it probably did happen.

I think it's a Channel 4 film, so it could be on TV soon.

Back