• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Charlie

I had one of those cymbal-weilding monkies when I was younger (up until I was about 13 or so and re-arranged my room, putting many of my stuffed animals and other toys in storage bins in the attic). It was a very old one, I think it belonged to my mom before me. It had a very large winding key on its back and it would bounce up and down and bang its cymbols when wound up. It had a little red cap, not a fez, more like the hats that garden gnomes wear.

I remember renting this movie in which an identical symbol-monkey figured prominently.......it was about this kid who went to some creepy second-hand store owned by and evil magician or something and bought the monkey; once he brough the monkey home, it would randomly clash its symbols by itself and each time he did so a member of his family would die.

For some reason I still wasn't afraid of my monkey even after seeing that movie. And he was right above my bed! Where I SLEPT! I'm very impressed by myself......Although I'm sure I'd be terrified of it if I came across it again...........

Panhandle's brother must have heard the monkey talk. It was his toy first, afterall, and maybe that's the reason why he let it be stolen from him in the first place. He probably felt he had to silence it when he realized Panhandle was hearing it too and it wasn't just his imagination.

I used to have the cymbol monkey. Picked it out myself on my birthday when I was about 12 years old. I was drawn to it right away, loved it, and was never afraid of it even though I was afraid of dolls. Did you guys know that the eyes pop out, too, when it does the screaming part? I have no idea why I wasn't afraid of it.

I think so. I had the toy for years and now I don't know what happened to it. IIRC, it claps the cymbols together for a little while, then it stops, bares it's teeth, the eyes pop out, and it makes a sound like "Eeee, Eeee, Eeee" as though it were an actual monkey screaching.

Yeah, I can see how that would be great fun, not at all disturbing... ;)

Following on from all this monkey talk, I read a short story by an Irish Author called John Connolly that really freaked me out.
The story was about a writer with writers block who bought an inkwell, which had a stuffed monkey mounted on it. So, the story is that the night after he bough the inkwell he begins to write and write and pass out and wakes up to find pages and pages of a wonderful novel. Anyway, time goes by and he begins to notice that the monkey is becoming alot more life like and "fresh looking" with each passing night where he writes all night and passes out.
However as the monkey is coming to life, hes getting weaker and weaker.
So, eventually the monkey comes to life and he discovers that the monkey has been sucking his blood at night after he has passed out from writing. In the end, the monkey turns into the writer and the guy dies.
It was very creepy and I have to admit it took me a while to get to sleep after reading that one. Its from a book called "Nocturnes" if anyone's interested..

Wasn't there an old ghost story by JS Lefanu about some demon monkey haunting a priest, trying to make him kill himself? I think it was it called 'Green Tea'.

I too have a toy Monkey. The thing actually lives at my Grandmothers house and my Grandpa brought it home. I don't remember where he actually got the thing but he loved it so much that he brought it home for his grandkids. (my sister and I) Anyhow, it has a long tail with a wire in it that wraps around whatever and arms that have a mechanism that allows it to "cling" to whatever you place it on. You move the tail back and forth and it's head coincides as the two are connected by the wire. It has glass eyes with one missing now and smiling lips. ANYHOW...this thing is OLD, OLD now and it always hung on a tall floor lamp that my grandparents owned. It's fur is old and matted and it really is an UGLY thing. I used to love taking it down and playing with it, wrapping its tail around my neck, etc. One day it's eye popped off when I was playing with it and I honestly thought that it was mad at me for losing it's eye. I searched for it but never did find it. I quit playing with it after that.

It still hangs on the same lamp. I think it still wants its eye back.

~Kim~

mymonkey.jpg

(found an exact replica on ebay! My Monkey but with both eyes)

zothecula said:
Take a peek at http://disturbingauctions.com/view.php?item=55

(Be sure to click on the magnified picture!)
aaaagh too scary maaan.
Talking of children hearing voices my son used to have a little man that lived in his ear called harry. My son said that harry would sing songs to him and come out of his ear sometimes to play. :?

And i suppose whilst I'm embarasing my son on the internet i may as well confess that as a child i was teriffied of the emmerdale farm theme tune.I don't know what upset me about the music but whenever i heard it i would clamp my hands over my ears and start to cry.

And of course my brother being the callouse B****D he was recorded the music and would wake me up in the middle of the night with the tape recorder on full blast. :furious:

Thats a good idea for a discossion... why do men like to teez children. My brother used to do it,and my mums boy friend usually until the child in question cried.

When I was very young, I had a stuffed brown monkey that actually did talk. You pulled a string in its back and it said one phrase or another. I remember it quite fondly, but my mum said that when they first gave it to me, when I was 1 or 2, I literally screamed the place down.

Feyri said:
When I was very young, I had a stuffed brown monkey that actually did talk. You pulled a string in its back and it said one phrase or another. I remember it quite fondly, but my mum said that when they first gave it to me, when I was 1 or 2, I literally screamed the place down.

LITERALLY screamed the place down?! You must have a really loud voice!

i was teriffied of the emmerdale farm theme tune.I don't know what upset me about the music but whenever i heard it i would clamp my hands over my ears and start to cry.

Me too! I remembered as I was reading the posts here, then saw your comment. How strange! I used to do exactly the same thing! Iv'e not watched it since I was about 6.

Psychological Problems

I remember a child at my playschool insisting that their doll 'spoke'. It later transpired that they were not 100% OK 'up top' shall we say as unless they had a vast range of talking objects in their home, they were schizoid in some way.

As I read the story, I wondered whether the brother was scared of the monkey or his brother talking to it; a very different side to the tale ... and possibly MORE scary ('of course I killed them ... the monkey told me to...')

I had a long think monkey as a child who was cool. As he was knitted he just looked like some skinny guy in a jumper and balaclava, but he was definitely very cool. And naughty. Not that i would know because he didn't speak of course ... he never told me to do stuff ... honest ...

Chimpanzee heads for everyone!

click

This thing even freaks ME out! :shock:

TVgeek

stu edit - url tidied up

TVgeek said:

click

TVgeek

Ohhhhhhh, forget about that!!

and the scariest thing is that people are actually buying those things!!

stu edit - url tidied up again

when I was younger, I had a treasure troll. one of those plastic trolls with the gem for a belly button and sticky-uppy hair. I used to love that thing and it went everywhere. until one night, I am so sure, it winked at me. it was in the back of my closet from there on.

Sadescha said:
Stephen King wrote a short story with an evil monkay with cymbols. Since reading it, I've hated the damn things, but never actually saw one in real life.

I've sort of seen one in real life. The musical Phantom of the Opera (stage show, rather then the film) has a little cymbal playing monkey doll in it, that is fairly creepy. (Someone at the Masquerade later goes dressed up as the monkey). It features in the book too, so I guess that means cymbal playing monkey dolls are now part of genuine horror literature.

TVgeek said:

click

TVgeek
That's right up there with this bust of Galen, as found by Emps in the Planet of the Apes thread.

I had a cymbal-clashing clockwork monkey in a bolero jacket and a fez when I was a nipper too. There's one in CE3K, when the aliens come and get the little lad and all his toys start playing up.

Back