• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

China: The Tomb Of The First Emperor (The Eighth Wonder Of The World)

A

Anonymous

It's about time there was a thread about The tomb of Emperor Qinshihuang (259 BC-210 BC), China's First Emperor.

The outlying ceremonial burials of some eight thousand, life size, terracotta warriors, and horses (real and terracotta), have already been unearthed, but the immense mound which covers his fabulous mausoleum, remains unexcavated. It has been suggestd that even the Chinese government is afraid to disturb the last resting place of the First Emperor, in case bad luck should follow.
People's Daily: China to Remote Sense Mysterious Tomb of First Emperor
Last updated at: (Beijing Time) Friday, December 13, 2002

Chinese scientists and archaeologists will survey the Mausoleum of Emperor Qinshihuang (259 BC-210 BC), the first emperor of China's feudal dynasties, using remote sensing and geophysical techniques in a bid to unravel the historical mystery.

Chinese scientists and archaeologists will survey the Mausoleum of Emperor Qinshihuang (259 BC-210 BC), the first emperor of China's feudal dynasties, using remote sensing and geophysical techniques in a bid to unravel the historical mystery.

As a key project of the National High Technology Research and Development Program, the survey is by far the most comprehensive research ever on the mausoleum and set to end by Sept. 2003.

"We will use aerial remote sensing and geophysical techniques to identify the position, depth and basic structure of the underground palace, as well as the 60-square-km area surrounding the tomb," said Guan Haiyan, the project's senior engineer.

"At that time, people can tell whether or not there were mercurial rivers and lakes underground and whether the historical records told the truth," said Guan, also director of the Shaanxi Remote Sensing Center.

Located 36 kilometers east of Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, the grand mausoleum was the eternal resting place for Ying Zheng, or Emperor Qinshihuang, who unified China for the first time.

According to historical records, it took 700,000 people 36 years to build the luxurious underground tomb, where mercury was used to imitate rivers and lakes, numerous treasures and women were buried with the dead emperor.

However, the actual structure and position of the mausoleum remain a mystery despite several surveys conducted since the 1970s.

So far, only three vaults containing thousands of terra-cotta figures have been found 1.5 kilometers east of the mausoleum, and two sets of large bronze chariots and horses were excavated west of the mausoleum.

Discovery of the buried legion, or terra-cotta horses and warriors, has aroused great interest worldwide, making it "the eighth wonder of the world." However, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
China Daily: Location of first emperor's tomb pinpointed
28-11-2003

Chinese archeologists have identified the exact location of the underground mausoleum of China's first emperor, sources at China's Ministry of Science and Technology said here Thursday.

The find was made by members of an electromagnetic survey team under the "863" high-technology program, and was checked and accepted by the science ministry Thursday.

The underground mausoleum of the emperor who first unified China, Qinshihuang (259-210 BC), is exactly under the mound which has long been thought to mark the spot. The research group has also determined that water has not entered the main coffin chamber,said Liu Shiyi, director of the group.

According the survey, the mausoleum, is in the form of an "underground palace," while the coffin chamber is 80 m long and 50 m wide.

"But we will have no idea of what is buried there until a full-scale excavation is launched," said Liu, also a scientist at the China Geological Survey Bureau.

Located near the city of Xi'an, in northwestern China, the tombhas not yet been opened, but some of the thousands of life-size terra-cotta warriors guarding the dead emperor, unearthed in the 1970s in the surroundings, are a major tourist attraction.
Legends of the fabulous layout of the tomb, with it's eternal flame torches and exact model of the Emperor's domain layed out, complete with rivers and lakes of mercury, sound like something out of Indiana Jones, or Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian tales!

Let's hope that human curiosity overcomes natural Chinese caution, soon. ;)

I have a friend who visited the Terracotta Army back in the mid '90's (on the day Bill Clinton visited and my friend got booted out early because of security measures :rolleyes: )

Anyway during the visit they happened to meet the farmer who discovered the tomb and who had been given a job and a good pension plan at the site. When talking through their guide they were told back than that there were parts of the tomb that the archaeologists were quite reserved to open due to the possibilty of 'booby traps'.

Apparently on the plains surrounding the area there are quite a few sites where the locals throughout the centuries would not open and steal grave goods lest they uncovered a trap.

Hurrah for Qui!

I cant wait for it to be opened, if it is a good as the stories, then the whole world will marvel.

Homo Aves said:
Hurrah for Qui!

I cant wait for it to be opened, if it is a good as the stories, then the whole world will marvel.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

The Chinese are in no hurry to open the tomb. Sadly, I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime.

China as a nation is changing rapidly. Who knows what may hap?

Isn't this the tomb that is meant to contain a map of China complete with seas and rivers made of mercury? Might be a bit poisonous down there if the stuff has soaked into the soil.

Austen said:
Isn't this the tomb that is meant to contain a map of China complete with seas and rivers made of mercury?

That's the place!!!

There was a TV program about it several years ago, with computer simulations of what might be inside the tomb. But, the feeling put over by the producers, was that the Chinese Government, still were sufficiently worried that the opening of the tomb would be unlucky or alter the chi & so adversly affect the country...

I suppose, in a way, you have to view the hesitancy of the Chinese as part of the cultural continuity you have in China as opposed to say, Egypt - where the Egyptian Gods are no longer worshipped and Islam is the official religion. For an Islamic caliph, opening up tombs of infidels who died millenia ago is no blasphemy.

However, China is still influenced by Confucianism, Taoism and its animist religions, to greater or lesser degree - there are none of the violent 'cut-offs' that you get between say, European paganism and Christianity. Thus, you can understand why its no easy issue for the government to just wade in with the picks - imagine the outcry, even in these secular times, if Tony Robinson and the Time Team wanted to get a look at the mausolea of Medieval English Kings in Westminster Abbey!

Having said that, I'd love a look in that place. I remember the first time the Terracotta army was shown in the UK, was in the home town of Edinburgh - my whole school went to see the exhibition. Never seen anything quite like it...

Cruithne said:
However, China is still influenced by Confucianism, Taoism and its animist religions, to greater or lesser degree - there are none of the violent 'cut-offs' that you get between say, European paganism and Christianity. Thus, you can understand why its no easy issue for the government to just wade in with the picks -

I can't understand in what sense China is Communist other than having a fairly nasty totalitarian government. The old USSR was deliberatly atheistic.

Well, it was economically so - but its amazing how much continuity there is, despite Marx. In fact, the leaders who authorised the Tianamen Square massacre justified it on the grounds that the students had behaved in an 'Un-Confucian manner' (Confucius stressing respect for elders above all else...)

Rivers of Mercury? What for?

Can anyone explain this concept?

The Frog said:
Rivers of Mercury? What for?

Can anyone explain this concept?

The tomb is meant to contain some sort of amazing jewelled rellief mad. The mercury would evaporate more slowly than water and look more impressive (even if it was poisonous!). Owning such a map was probably a way of mystically owning the country, in much the same way as owning the terracotta army was to take military power into the next life. Maps are still associated wih power.

It was an element prized by the Alchemists as an ingredient of the elixir of life.

and it was also fabulously expensive....

Cruithne said:
Thus, you can understand why its no easy issue for the government to just wade in with the picks - imagine the outcry, even in these secular times, if Tony Robinson and the Time Team wanted to get a look at the mausolea of Medieval English Kings in Westminster Abbey!

I don't know about the Medieval English Kings, but the Tudor & later, seem to have been "well dug over" already.

I have a copy of Arthur Penrhyn Stanley's (late dean of Westminster) book: "Historical Memorials of Westminister Abbey" My edition is dated 1882 & is after his death. The front plate is of the: "Entrance to the Tomb of Henry VII as Seen on Opening the Vault in 1869". The appendix in this book recounts Dean Stanley's search for the tomb of James I, via those of Charles II, Mary II, William III, Anne, Elizabeth I, Edward VI, etc... & it is nice to note, after all his excavations, he finaly closed the last vault, which he considered contained the bodies of: James I, Henry VII, Elizabeth of York, Charles I, with those of Henry VIII & Jane Seymore, with a tablet inscribed:"This vault was opened by the Dean, February 11, 1869"......

David said:
That's the place!!!

There was a TV program about it several years ago, with computer simulations of what might be inside the tomb. But, the feeling put over by the producers, was that the Chinese Government, still were sufficiently worried that the opening of the tomb would be unlucky or alter the chi & so adversly affect the country...
China: littered with historically important sites that need to be studied so as to extract new information about China's past. The First Emperor: thoroughly documented from Sima Qien on down -little 'new' info to be gleaned, even if his tomb was believed to be intact, and it isn't. It was thoroughly looted in the Tang Dynasty, IIRC (maybe earlier). There's only so much funding available for digs, so you spend the money where you'll get the best return on your investment.

Pereftly true, but arent there more and better non intrusive archaelogical methods around these days?

More secret codes...

Of course there's another angle to the terracotta warriors. Cotterell's The Terracotta Warriors: The Secret Codes of the Emperor's Army Which goes into great -if absurd- detail, managing to link sunspots to ancient aliens to infertility to god-knows-what-else...

I just know there's a secret, mathmatical code to virtually everything BUT there is something truly odd abouth hair plaiting style and sunspot activity, as expressed as a series of numbers...
:rolleyes:

edit/ spelling!

any takers or have I ended yet another thread?
I'm a really nice person!
:)

Austen said:
Owning such a map was probably a way of mystically owning the country, in much the same way as owning the terracotta army was to take military power into the next life. Maps are still associated wih power.
this is an intriguing idea, like a massive scaled voodoo doll. I've forgotten the word for using a replica to influence something magically, but if I could remember it I'd use it :)

Homo Aves said:
Pereftly true, but arent there more and better non intrusive archaelogical methods around these days?

They're working on it, but most archaeology still involves digging up the site. Seems to me the new step in site conservation is burying the whole thing under the dirt again once you're all done. All of the technology (sorry I forget the technical term for it) that lets you get an image of what buried is still very new. At best its mostly used to find a site, it would tell you whether or not there is a tomb underground and *maybe* something like how many rooms it has, but it wouldn't be able to tell us if there really are rivers of mecury down there.

(oh and hey everyone its my first post...nice to meet ya :hello: )

welcome mango, there's a new members' thrad somewhere in chat, i suggest you go and say hello to everyone :)

Did anyone else see the two-hour long documentary, The First Emperor on Channel 4 the other evening?

I thought it was rather good and certainly gave me a new insight into the court intrigue that surrounded Qin Shi Huang becoming Emperor. Also, if you click on the above link, you'll be able to view the CGI-animated 'tomb' re-creation with it's rivers and sea of mercury.

I missed it but knew it was on damn my memory, I just hope it gets a quick repeat perhaps on E4 or more 4, ho hum. It looked great when I saw a preview and I'm dead interested in the Chinese archaeological field.

I saw this as well. I had heard various details regarding Qin Shi Huang, but nothing in detail. I thought it was absolutely amazing! The part that left me wanting to know more was the tests results they found at the end of the documentary. These revealing the levels of mercury in the soil that corrosponded with the info they had on the layout of the tomb! Fantastic.

Excavation of tomb ruled out

With its tales of buried treasure and the elixir of youth, the recent movie "Myth" has heightened interest in the mystical Mausoleum of Qinshihuang (259-210 BC).

Starring Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan as an archaeologist, the film focuses on what could be hidden within the tomb, which was built more than 2,000 years ago.

But excavation experts have maintained the site will keep its secrets for a little longer yet.

Though a number of riddles about the ancient mausoleum have been handed down over the centuries, archaeologists are still reluctant to decipher them by excavating the tomb.

"It is the best choice to keep the ancient tomb untouched, because of the complex conditions inside," said Duan Qingbo, archaeologist and researcher in the Shaanxi Provincial Archaeology Institute.

Duan, who is also the head of the archaeological team working on the ancient mausoleum, told China Daily that though some historical records about the tomb have proved to be true, the latest findings differ from older accounts.

After careful geological prospecting with advanced remote sensing technology over the past five years, Chinese archaeologists found that there are symmetrical stairways and wood-like structures inside the tomb, which have never been described in any records before.

"It is not the proper time to open the tomb at the moment, since so many things still remain unknown," Duan said.

Duan's reluctance to open the ancient tomb is shared by other Chinese officials and archaeologists. The State Administration of Cultural Heritage also does not advocate the excavation of such ancient tombs at present.

In accordance with the Protection Law of Cultural Heritage of People's Republic of China, excavation on such ancient sites is only allowed when they are threatened by natural disasters or robberies, or meet with the requirement of national key projects.

"An improper excavation will harm the cultural relics inside the tomb," Zhang Bai, deputy director of the State Administration of Cultural Heritage, said at the 15th Assembly of the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) held in Xi'an in last October.

"These cultural relics have been buried for more than 2,000 years in the grave and have achieved a state of equilibrium. If they are excavated improperly and have no good technology for protection, they will quickly turn bad when they are exposed to the sunlight, oxygen and other things outside the tomb, and the situation could grow out of control," Zhang said.

Zhang revealed that pieces of beautiful white ivory unearthed from an ancient tomb in southern China turned dark and powdery within 2 hours of being unearthed.

The Mausoleum of Qinshihuang, emperor of China's first feudal Qin Dynasty (221-206 BC), is located in the Lintong District of Xi'an, capital of Northwest China's Shaanxi Province, and is one of China's hottest tourism spots, attracting millions of visitors from both home and abroad.

According to historical records, the mausoleum was built by more than 720,000 people during 38 years, and the area of the inner part of the tomb is about 2.13 square kilometres.

With pits that accompany the tomb, the total area of the cemetery reaches 60 square kilometres.

In the emperor's underground palace, it is said mercury was used to simulate the rivers and streams in his territory, and diamonds and pearls were used to replicate the sun, the moon and other stars.

Historical records say many traps were set to prevent it being broken into.

"We found by a survey that the mercury density in Qinshihuang's cemetery area is exceptionally higher than that in the area on the periphery, and have confirmed that the mercury is coming from the mausoleum," Duan said.

And archaeologists also discovered that the emperor's tomb was built with a very effective drainage system, which stopped ground water entering into the mausoleum. The system is similar to that used in modern constructions.

"The cultural relics are well protected with the conditions provided by the tomb's builders and improper excavation would mean destruction," Duan said.

Michael Petzet, president of ICOMOS, considers that keeping Qin's mausoleum untouched is the best way to protect the relics, and also to respect the dead.

"Let Qinshihuang and his underground palace continue their deep sleep," Petzet said at the 15th General Assembly of ICOMOS held in Xi'an.

In March 1974, some terracotta warriors and horses were unearthed near Qinshihuang's tomb by accident and the subsequent archaeological excavation found three pits containing thousands of life-size terracotta warriors and horses as well as a large number of rare relics.

Now the Qin Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum receives millions of visitors annually.

In the early 1990s, the local government applied to the central government, without success, for approval to open Qinshihuang's tomb.

Source: China Daily http://english.people.com.cn/200602/22/ ... 44794.html

I visited the Terracotta Army last year. Quite amazing. The farmer who discovered the army was in the shop, signing books. Until Clinton visited he couldn't read or write, and when Clinton asked him to sign a book he had to use a thumbrint, which caused him and the authoroties a great deal of embarrassment, so the government sent the farmer away to a top school to learn to read and write!

Anyway... apparently the buried figures had been well known for centuries in the immediate locale. One rite of passage for local lads was to dig a hole until they found a 'ghost warrior' and smash it up!

The mausoleum mound is incredible. We didn't go up it but you can see it for miles. An unimaginable amount of manpower must have been used to build it.[/i]

'Foreigner' helped build Terracotta Army

Jonathan Watts in Beijing

Wednesday June 28, 2006

Chinese archaeologists have unearthed evidence that a foreign worker helped build the Terracotta Army mausoleum, the resting place of the country's first emperor, who died more than 2,200 years ago.

The remains of the worker, described as a foreign man in his 20s, were found among 121 shattered skeletons in a labourers' tomb 500 metres from the mausoleum in the north-western city of Xian, the state-run Xinhua news agency said.

According to Xinhua, the man may prove to be "China's first foreign worker", though it is unclear whether he served as an employee or a slave of emperor Qin Shi Huang, who unified China and built the first Great Wall. It is estimated 700,000 labourers worked on the imperial tomb, which houses 8,000 life-sized terracotta warriors and horses. DNA tests were used to ethnically identify 15 of the labourers.

"One sample has typical DNA features commonly owned by the Parsi in India and Pakistan, the Kurds in Turkmenistan and the Persians in Iran," Tan Jingze, an anthropologist with Fudan University, told Xinhua. "It's an inspiring discovery, but we're not sure if there are more foreigners involved in the construction of the mausoleum," she said.

Archaeologists on the excavation said the find meant that contacts between the people in east Asia and those in what is now central Asia actually began a century earlier than believed. Earlier studies had suggested the first contact occurred later in the Han dynasty (206 BC-220 AD).

It is possible more foreigners may be found among the 200 other labourers' tombs in the area, but Chinese scientists have suspended excavations and DNA sample collections to help prevent environmental degradation.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2006

Terracotta army could invade UK

The British Museum is in negotiations to stage the largest exhibition of China's famed terracotta warriors ever seen outside their native country.

The London museum hopes to host the warriors towards the end of next year.

Two British Museum exhibitions are now on loan to China, as part of an ongoing collaboration with the country.

In 1974 in northern Shaanxi province, some 8,000 statues of warriors and horses were found underground near the tomb of first emperor Qin Shihuang.

Peasants digging a well made the original discovery that led to one of the greatest archaeological finds of the 20th Century.

Qin, who created the first unified Chinese empire around 220 BC, is regarded as one of the country's most ruthless rulers.

An exhibition of Assyrian artefacts from the British Museum has just opened in Shanghai.

British Museum director Neil MacGregor took part in talks about the possible loan of the terracotta statues on a visit to attend the opening.

"We are certainly hopeful that it will go ahead," said a British Museum spokeswoman.

A Treasure of the World's Cultures exhibition, assembled by the British Museum for its 250th anniversary in 2003, was displayed in Beijing earlier this year and will be shown in Taipei from December.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2006/07/03 10:20:56 GMT

© BBC MMVI

`More on Qin Shi Huang & the elixir of life .

China's first emperor launched an obsessive search for the elixir of life before dying aged 49 in 210 BCE, new archaeological research has revealed.

Qin Shi Huang, who created the world-famous terracotta army, ordered a nationwide hunt for the mythical potion.

The quest is mentioned in 2000-year-old texts written on thousands of wooden slats - used in China before paper.

They were found in 2002 at the bottom of a well in central Hunan province.

The writings contain an executive order issued by the emperor, and assorted awkward replies from regional governments who had failed to find the key to eternal life.

One locality, Langya, apparently believed that "an herb collected from an auspicious local mountain" could fit the bill.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-42477083

Back