• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classic Archive Merged: Guardian Devils?

A

Anonymous

When I was a very young kid, probably between the ages of around 4-7 (1979 - 1982ish) I was regularly aware of black blobs or shadows hanging around me outdoors. I remember quite a few fairly terrifying indoor experiences of objects moving around in my bedroom but it was only ever when playing out that I would see the black shapes.

I would never mention them to my family or friends at the time because I was more intrigued than frightened, they showed no signs of malevolence and if anything they seemed rather skittish. They would never appear any closer to me than a minimum of about 5 or 6 metres and if I looked at them directly they would fade - then if I turned my head slightly they would become more visible in my peripheral vision.

Two events concerning these shapes have particularly stuck in my mind. The first is when I was playing alone in a small coppice where my friends and I had built a den, the black shapes were present that day and as I sat in a tree I felt myself begin to grow taller, either that or everything else was shrinking and I had an almost weightless sensation. In this state the shapes were not just dotted around my surroundings but 'grew' with me. I felt extremely confident and protected, as if this were perfectly natural!

The second possibly significant event was when I was playing in the street with friends and my younger brother. My brother was only very small then, at a guess he was only 3 or so. Two men in a car stopped to talk to us and my brother was quite happy to chat by the open car door but at that moment I was some metres away. The shapes seemed to gather in numbers and their movement was a lot more definite than usual, I felt alarmed and felt the need to protect my brother from these strange men. The second I jumped up calling for my Dad the car span off and the blobs eased away.

This all occured on a new housing estate in Dunstable, has anyone else experienced this particular brand of weirdness?

As far as I am aware I am not mental.

A friend of mine has the same things around her house. She's terrified of them though so that's a bit different...

My wife has been seeing something like this lately, since we moved into our new house. She keeps seeing small, dark shapes skittering along the walls and corners, a bit like mice (we definitely don't have mice). She calls them gremlins. She says they give her goosebumps, but she's not really scared or anything.

"As far as I am aware I am not mental."
-Great line.

She keeps seeing small, dark shapes skittering along the walls and corners, a bit like mice (we definitely don't have mice). She calls them gremlins.

You can read of an encounter with similar creatures (perhaps larger versions of the ones your wife is seeing)here fourth paragraph down where they are referred to as "imps."

As far as I'm aware I'm not mental

I haven't heard anyone say that for so long. :D

It's just so Adrian Mole, isn't it?:p

guardian devils

In the Japaneses animated film My Neighbor Totoro by Miyazaki, a family moves into a farm house and there are swarms of tiny fuzzy black ceatures, with tiny eyes. It translates in the subtitles as Sooty-soots, the children are assured by the elderly neighbor that they are harmless. When the little girl squishes one, she is left with sooty hands.

Black Blobs

Back around 1970 or 1971 an old girlfriend of mine in my second Northern Kentucky hometown confided in me that she'd experienced an exceptionally bad night's sleep due to "black blobs" which seemed to gather on or just below the ceiling, coalesce together, and slowly descend inch by inch towards her face, without however ever quite reaching it.

My impression is that the blob had tentacles or legs which seemed to open and close or extend and retract.

She apparently had this experience only once.

This sounds a lot like 'floaters' - blood cells that get into the fluid within the eye. They move of their own accord but very rarely enter the main field of vision. If you try and look at them directly they will scoot away. The original post seems to confirm this as they become more numerous when the author is stressed.

There are no accounts here of these things interracting directly with anything - if that were to happen the blood cell hypothesis might need re-thinking...

There's also a well known effect that happens when moving from a bright room into a dark one (or the other way around!!) that makes black blobs appear in ones vision. There was a thread like this years ago in IHTM and someone who knows more about what I'm talking about explained the process very well (unlike me!)

Probably not supernatural though...

The threads about the stick men freak me out though. How so many? Could it be avatars of Ananse???

Afagddu said:
"There's also a well known effect that happens when moving from a bright room into a dark one (or the other way around!!) that makes black blobs appear in ones vision."

Agreed. I often see "black blobs" outside on scorchingly-bright Summer days, and see them again when I return indoors.

In fact this is so common, so EXPECTED, that until perusing this thread I never before thought of these "blobs" in a "shadow people" or otherwise paranormal connection.

Black Blob "Floaters" - If you, or anyone you know is seeing them, just as general thing, it might be worthwhile having an Optician check your/their eyes out.

Black Floaters can be harbinger of Diabetes, The Optician will be able to confirm if it's worth referring the matter to your Doctor.

The black shape things sound like the creepy devil-things that form out of shadows in the fillum 'Ghost' and carry off wicked souls to hell. :D

Listen to Niall's wisdom about the black floaters/diabetes link - what a wonderful messageboard, to give occult and medical advice on the same thread! 8)

Re: Black Blobs

OldTimeRadio said:
Back around 1970 or 1971 an old girlfriend of mine in my second Northern Kentucky hometown confided in me that she'd experienced an exceptionally bad night's sleep due to "black blobs" which seemed to gather on or just below the ceiling, coalesce together, and slowly descend inch by inch towards her face, without however ever quite reaching it.

My impression is that the blob had tentacles or legs which seemed to open and close or extend and retract.

She apparently had this experience only once.

I, and others in my immediate block area have seen this type of black cloudlike mass.
They were all rather large and often would stand in a column shape as large as a person for a while and then spread out into a dense mass with "tenticle" like appendages and move about the room.
We all live near a cemetary in the middle of the block and have wonderd if this had anything to do with it. Recently, the church next to the cemetary burned to the ground , possibly due to faulty wiring.

I've been seeing those "black blobs" on bright summer's days for at least 40 years.

Re: Black Blobs

citizencane said:
"I, and others in my immediate block area have seen this type of black cloudlike mass."

That's really fascinating. May I inquire as to the general geographical area?

I saw black things that move quite fast, I called them spiders. I told my doctor and he said it was a symptom of pernicious anemia and I may have tactile hallucinations also ( I did have, I kept getting poked in the back too but didn't mention it as I thought i was crazy!) I now have B12 injections every three months and the black shapes whizzing past have gone.

citizencane said:
"southern appalachia,USA near the atomic city.(Oak Ridge)"

Thank you very much! Old Time Radio (George Wagner in Cincinnati, Ohio)

I suspect that the "black blobs" I sometimes experience on summer days are simply temporary and (thankfully) minor "retinal shocks" caused by sunlight reflecting off concrete buildings.

Tell me, are "blobs" associated with snow blindness?

On the other hand, might not bright sunlight (among other things such as Dr. Walter J. Kilner's traditional pinacyanole bromide filters) sensitize the retinas to theoretically existing substances which do not often normally register on human vision?

OldTimeRadio said:
On the other hand, might not bright sunlight (among other things such as Dr. Walter J. Kilner's traditional pinacyanole bromide filters) sensitize the retinas to theoretically existing substances which do not often normally register on human vision?

Not quite sure , but sounds possible.
The things seen by my self and neighbors were always at night, and indoors (for me anyway). They stood out in even in mostly dark rooms,such as candle lit rooms, or rooms lit by moonlight.

citizencane said:
"The things seen by my self and neighbors were always at night, and indoors (for me anyway). They stood out in even in mostly dark rooms,such as candle lit rooms, or rooms lit by moonlight."

That brings to mind - and just before bedtime! - John Milton's depiction of Satan as "not light but darkness visible."

ScoutFinch said:
I saw black things that move quite fast, I called them spiders. I told my doctor and he said it was a symptom of pernicious anemia and I may have tactile hallucinations also ( I did have, I kept getting poked in the back too but didn't mention it as I thought i was crazy!) I now have B12 injections every three months and the black shapes whizzing past have gone.

i sometimes get a feeling of being poked in the back (and sometimes a bit lower than my back....) and i don't have anemia as lately i've been tested for anemia every month. i just thought it was some kind of muscle spasm. is it not, then?

citizencane said:
The things seen by my self and neighbors were always at night, and indoors (for me anyway). They stood out in even in mostly dark rooms,such as candle lit rooms, or rooms lit by moonlight.

Might not sunlight reflected from the moon, actinic light, create its own retinal sensitivities?

michelleeb1970 said:
i sometimes get a feeling of being poked in the back (and sometimes a bit lower than my back....) and i don't have anemia as lately i've been tested for anemia every month. i just thought it was some kind of muscle spasm. is it not, then?

When I was younger I'd sometimes get the feeling of being slapped hard across the upper back (just below the shoulder blades) when I was lying face-down in bed and preparing for sleep. My physician informed me that this was "merely taut muscles relaxing for the night."

OldTimeRadio said:
citizencane said:
"The things seen by my self and neighbors were always at night, and indoors (for me anyway). They stood out in even in mostly dark rooms,such as candle lit rooms, or rooms lit by moonlight."

That brings to mind - and just before bedtime! - John Milton's depiction of Satan as "not light but darkness visible."

Yup OTR, Milton knew all about light/darkness and sight/blindness, didn't he!
How one may 'see' in the dark and how day may bring back night: both sight and blindness may be physical or spiritual. ;)

Methought I saw my late espoused saint
Brought to me like Alcestis from the grave...

Back