• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classic Archive Merged: Spider Spirit?

"I'm a student of Ninjutsu and one of the ryu we use is Kumogakure, usually translated as 'hidden door school', the Kumo part can be translated as 'cloud' or 'spider'. This is one of the reasons I decided to try working with the spider. It's a perfect symbol for movement, entanglement, heightened sensory awareness, climbing, and so forth."

I'm a student of the Northern Praying Mantis style of kung fu. My teacher freely admits that one of the main stances serves no practical purpose beyond being imatative of the style's totem animal. Perhaps it's also an innvocation of "praying mantis sprirt".

mantis

Sounds more than likely that the stance is to put you in touch with the praying mantis intelligence.
Do you use the stance as a meditation posture, or is it integrated into one of your katas?
I'd try and spend some time in the stance, building up to half an hour or a full hour and see what you can learn from it.
As it's a mantis form I'd assume that stillness and alertness are the principle characteristics. If you are more ritually inclined then try going from the stillness of the mantis stance into a strike after a long meditation in that posture, then returning to stance and stilling again.
This would particularly suit working outdoors, where you can explore the camoflage aspect of stillness in the natural environment.
If you've got a target to hit you could sigilise it and charge or destroy it with your strike. You may prefer to use visualised intent when you project your chi, rather than a physical talisman.
Meditating on the mantis seems like a method to enter a no-mind or void state rather than thinking about applying a technique. It simply happens at the correct moment, as with zen archery.
You probably know all of this already.
Pray tell, how you use the stance in your training.

93 93 93

Peter Grey

The stance is a relaxed one, with all the weight on the back leg, leaving front leg and arms available for quick movement, with the hands imitating the mantis (a fist, with forefingers out and pointing down). It's used as the basic stance for free-fighting and sparring, and, thinking about it, you're absolutely right - it's a still, relaxed and alert stance from which to suddeny spring into action, so my initial assertion that it has no purpose rather than being imatative seems wrong.

Thanks for your suggestions - very interesting, I'll try them out.

I think I may have an explanation for the "giant spider" experience...

In autumn 1973 (the same year as your story) there was a BBC TV drama called "Dr Who" and the last story of the season (and John Pertwee's final episode) was called "Planet of the Spiders".

You guessed it - it featured very big 4 foot spiders that jumped onto people's backs to control them (it is available on video from the BBC and is regularly shown on UK Gold).

I feel that the experience you had may have been a cross over between seeing a real spider, remembering the Dr Who episode, and a childish "fright state" prompted by the TV show.

By the way - it was a very vivid and frightening TV episode that made me frightened of spiders for a very long time........

I know that this is slightly moving away from the original (giant) thread, but reading thro' these messages and looking at the pics made me remember something I really didn't need to...

Years ago, I remember hearing that during an average life time, you can expect to eat x number of spiders, as they climb into your open mouth when your asleep!!

I dismissed this at the time, I mean, how would anyone know this?, but about a year ago I heard this again, this time on the radio.

Now, this has got to be an UL hasn't it?

(No chance of any of those beasts climbing into your mouth tho')

spiders and other wee (tasty?) beasties

well, be careful what you eat - whether awake or asleep!!

"The average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it. "

yuk
:(

Bpau, maybe that's someones job? To count spiders as they climb in your mouth.:)

Is it truly impossible?

"There - sat in the middle of a huge web with strands like steel wire - was the biggest spider I have ever seen. It was a monster, maybe four feet from tip to tip. It's body had a brown and pink mottled colour, like those exotic speckled bird's eggs you see in collector's cages."

"On closer inspection it looked for all the world to be like a spider (the common garden spider) except huge - my estimates have always been that this spider would be 3 foot if outstretched. It had the same pinkish mottled patterning although as I remember only on it's ovesized abdomen. It's legs where held very tightly in to it's body and it was to all intents and purposes crouched up."

Then someone said that was impossible and someone else wanted to know why? ;

I think its because the mass of an animal increases exponentialy compared to its size. When a spider doubles its size its volume and therefore mass cubes so that it is eight times as heavy. Very big spider species have to have short thick legs. In general the bigger the animal the shorter and stummpier its legs are in proportion to its body.

Secondly insects and arachnids don't have proper lungs and rely on gass exchange through there skins to breath. I think I'm right in saying that very big spiders would suffocate for similar mathematical reasons to them needing short stumpy legs.

And someone confirmed(?);

Indeed. They breathe through small holes called spiracles, and an animal of that size would not be able to supply an adequate amount of oxygen to its tissues and would suffocate.

Admittedly, the largest "known" spider in the world is believed to be the Goliath Birdeater.

blondi2.jpg

Which is also not an Argiope or "Garden spider" as I know them here in the US anyway. LINK.

Now this could just very well be the over active imagination's of young boys and coincidence. Or is it possible they were seeing a reclusive and as yet undiscovered species? Or perhaps it was mis-identified and was not even a true arachnid at all, but some kind of hybrid. Or somthing else altogether; and that was the only frame of reference they had?

Is it really physically impossible to grow a spider to this size?

Or is that the just the current thinking?

And where is the evidence to support that? I have searched and found nothing. I can find nothing to substantiate the above claim's concerning the weight collapse and inability to breath with the increase in size. Does anyone have a link or link's to that info?

My "problem" with the above theorie's is that with all of the different life form's that have been discovered recently, (life form's around volcanic sea vent's for instance, that were not supposed to be able to exist until we learned differently) why couldn't there be a big ass species of spider out there somewhere? Maybe one that has evolved a different system of breathing.

I find it intriguing that the description's matched so closely. Almost exactly. Pinkish and mottled.

It might be interesting to cross reference the location's and dates, terrain and weather condition's of the similar description's.

Timster :cool:

Can you imagine the look on the face of the person who first discovered the Goliath?
Anyone know the dimensions of the biggest ever, rather than biggest living, spider?
It could've been a seriously misplaced land crab...

The Sedgwick Museum Young Design Squad (SYDS) helped model-maker Jeremy Hunt and Museum staff with the installation of the first of the new displays at the Sedgwick Museum on 9 March. The display is about the fossil of the World's Largest Spider, Megarachne servinei. Megarachne ("Big Meg" to her friends) had a legspan of almost 50cm, and the body was almost 10cm across! The spider lived during the Carboniferous period, around 300 million years ago, when many other arachnids and insects also reached astounding sizes.

The new display centres on a cast of the fossil of Megarachne, which was given to the Museum by colleagues from the Academy of Sciences in Cordoba, Argentina where the original fossil is held. The SYDS were responsible for the contents and layout of this display, and had to decide on the use of the available budget. Their first decision was to commission a life-size reconstruction of the spider… The spider will be revealed to the public in all its hairy glory later in the year when the redevelopment is complete.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/newsletter/2002/april-may/update.html:eek!!!!:

I couldn't say that I ever saw a four foot spider, but one county north of you in Suffolk, where I grew up I would see ENORMOUS spiders in our house. I lived in an old (450 years) flint house, with massive victorian pipes. Occaisionally, one of these spiders would come up through the pipes (we speculate, maybe they knocked and came in through the front door, big enough.) I recall seeing a particular spider that was well over eight inches, including it's legs. The head and abdomen had to be at least three inches. Now I live in America, where the spiders bite you one day and a few days later your arm falls off, so I am more frightened of the titchy Yanky spiders than of the monster spiders.

I've been communing with nature today - well, I was picking blackberries, actually - and there are spider webs all over the blackberry bushes to catch the insects attracted to the ripe fruit. Some of the spiders were big, but none massive.

But I had to break several webs in my browsing, so I hope there isn't a spider spirit or I might be in for some retribution...! :eek!!!!:

There's actually a spider hanging face down in the center of the window here - It has been there for many months, but it looks like it could move any time. Maybe the ghostie spiddy is out to get me:(

Ok, within half an hour of reading this thread and freaking myself out a huge spider (as in normal sized huge not four foot huge) ran across my floor and prompted my flatmate to refuse to get down off the sofa till Id got rid of it. I reckon the little git knew I was in an arachnaphobic place and wanted to flaunt its excessive number of legs at me (why eight? Thats blatently more legs than anyone needs. They just do it to annoy)

It's spider time. This is apparently some sort of creepy inverted serendipity -

I generally have no fear of spiders, but I finally got around to reading this thread and it weirded me out. So what comes strolling across my desk when I get back from lunch: yeah. That's right. A large, economy-size spider, the body of which was the size of one of those red cap erasers that we used back ingrade school when our pencils were out of eraser. And it was a nasty yellow. I hate yellow spiders. They should all be black or grey. Worst of all - when I slammed a fat file on top of it to kill it, it sort of exploded and the guts spewed out all over my skirt. I nearly heaved. My gag reflex still kicks in when I remember too closely. Yuuuchh.

Personally I have little fear of spiders and as a child used to collect the biggest ones by hand from our garden and keep them in empty plastic toffee jars, the kind in which loose sweets are sold. I had some big and boldly coloured garden spiders, maybe the biggest being the size of an adult thumb, legs included. They did bite me several times, but with no effect. Other than giving me super-strength, the ability to sense danger, climb skyscrapers etc.. ;)

On arriving in Sydney for a holiday a few years ago, one of the first places I visited was the city's main museum. They had an exhibition of spiders on, and a few of the displays were interactive, in that you could explore a mock-up room and try to find the 10 different live spiders that were hidden (behind a little glass window) in it.

For example, there was a shed with a black window in a glass-topped paint can etc. It was pretty amusing watching people freak, there were even big Huntsman spiders under beds etc.

It served me well, because a few days after I visited a bush park around Sydney which had rapidly grown back after being recently decimated by forest fires. Whilst visiting the public "Dunnie" I closed the door of the stall and was faced with a Huntsman on the back of the door.

It was bigger than my adult hand, and fortunately I had my camera with me, so I took a photo of my hand next to the spider. I love the effect that picture had on people when they were absent-mindedly leafing through my Australia snaps!

Afterwards I decided to remove the spider with a folded map, in case it caused the next stall-user to have a heart attack. I carried the specimen (the spider, not my call of nature) out on the back of the map and was surprised at the screams it generated. Surely these spiders are not uncommon in such a place?

I would have loved to have seen that 4-footer though. I know things seem bigger when you are small, like Bazooka Joe bubble gum seems so small and poor value for money now. Allowing for this, I imagine that a perceived 4-footer must have at least been 12" or more at the most pessimistic estimate.

BTW, for those of whom the sight of a spider induces mortal terror (like my wife) there is a neat plug-in device which pulses an ultrasonic frequency which spiders and other insects do not like. It's about the size of one of those plug-in air-fresheners and since buying one over the internet 3 years ago, we have had very few spiders in the house. In short, it seems to work.

Any chance of scanning the picture of this Dunnie Beastie???

If I am up in the attic and remember, I'll dig the photo out. I think I got about 3 or 4 shots from various angles.

Hehe! Huntsman spiders - I'd never heard of those until I slammed my van's hatchback door shut, one night in a Townsville campsite. Sat happily on the glass was one of these critters, can't say I tried to measure it against my palm, but it was somewhat bigger than the English spiders I am usually acquainted with. The vibrations caused by my shutting the door caused it to scuttle fast around the outside of the van, as I dived inside to shut all the open windows. I won, but barely, and didn't sleep too well that night.

I think the praying mantis that I encountered in Bali was more sociopathic - that thing did not leave the room quietly, and I had no idea they could fly!

spider spirit

Hello! Just discovered this thread, interesting!
About 7 years ago i was watching TV on a large comfortable couch, together with my girlfriend, when all of a sudden a giant spider crawled from under the couch, giving me instant goosebumps and my girlfriend nearly a hartattack!!
At first i thougt it was an exotic spiecies dropped trough an open window or so ( by someone who wanted to be funny).
Carefully i tried to capture the thing with the biggest jar i could find, if only to calm down my girlfriend!
I got more goosebumps as the spider would not fit in the opening of the jar. I shook it a litle bit til it fitted, after all, i did not know if this spider was poisonous.
When it was in the jar, i called a friend of mine who is a biologist, he came immediatly, and said it was one of the biggest spiders he ever saw, altough he said it was a common species, it was unusualy large. (about 20 centimetres total, normally about 6 or 7 max.)
Well, maybe it had lots of good nutricients.
We released the spider in some bushes, far away from our house....

I am bloody terrified of spiders and have been for as long as I an remember. Lord knows why I just read through the whole thread!

Reminds me of the summer spent working in a garden centre in north east scotland. We would receive lorry loads of strawberry punnets from an Italian company called 'Infia'. On occasion there would be a hitchhiker & generally they were giant b*stards in my eyes! I swear there was one we found that we twatted with a shovel & the thing just up'd & scarpered!

Awwwww crap, got that itchy feeling all over now, where's me rifle

I recall reading at a site that included sort of "believe-it-or-not" stories about a phenomena that spelunkers sometimes encounter.

It involves, for instance, looking from one enclosed area in a cavern into another, and seeing that objects in the observed area look oversized.

This poster (I cannot find the post to save me, of course, but maybe someone who explores caves might know about this...) anyway, it seems that when the caver looks into another enclosed area, that the very fine dust particles that float about form a sort of concave lens which magnify whatever you look at.

In the example I recall reading, the spelunkers were seeing left-over debris/garbage from other explorers and the left-behind beer cans looked huge....

The maximum size for any insect is related to its capacity to absorbe oxygen. Insects and spiders have little sacs in their abdomen where oxygen diffusion occurrs, they don't need propper lungs because they are small and the osmosis of air is enough. The insects were bigger in the dinosaur era because there was a more oxygen rich atmosphere.
I think that any reported giant insect or spider would not be able to breath in accordance with its size unless it had a different lung apparatus.
Thad didn't stop me from dreaming of giant spiders last night though. yuk

Happy Spiders

Hello

I am not a spider fan in any way - but found this site the other day. Not only is the spider adventure story ace, but the happy-faced spider is good value for money. He's actually a bit of a cutie (though I'd not like to find one in the bath!)
:eek!!!!:

http://library.thinkquest.org/J002043/

I live in a basement flat, full of very BIG spiders. Last year I was chopping olives in the kitchen, and thought I trod on one that had fallen to the lino,(it felt like it under my bare foot). On lifting my foot i saw the writhing body of the biggest spider I have ever seen. Utterly enormous. It was actually bleeding grey blood, for Cliff's sake. I put it out of it's misery and flushed it down the bog (flushing 5 or 6 times). A couple of weeks later a live one stepped out from underb the TV, and I kid you not, we could hear its footprints (very quietly)... leg span of around 7 inches. I'm sad to say I despatched it with the 'phone book, after my girlfriend had jumped into my arms like scoobydoo.

zygmunt

This story has just jogged my memory (yes, I know it took me til page 3)

Anyway, I was about 12/13 and spending the evening in with my mum (dad doing usual trick downing pints down the pub) when a spider, the size of a human hand, made an appearance above the gas fire attached to the chimney breast. Both being scaredy cats, mother and I jumped on the sofa when the thing started to sprint towards us across the carpet. Lots of screams averted it back to the chimney breast where I swear it ran from one end of the chimney breast to the other left to right, and top to bottom. I have never seen a spider so large, move so fast, for so long. We watched it for over half an hour, just waiting for it to disappear. In the end, we both ran to a neighbours house and the strapping young chap returned with us. It was gone. We moved furniture, lifted carpets, nothing. Bizarre.

OhmyGawd, RachelVK says:

the thing started to sprint towards us across the carpet. Lots of screams averted it back to the chimney breast where I swear it ran from one end of the chimney breast to the other left to right, and top to bottom. I have never seen a spider so large, move so fast, for so long.
-------------

<placing clenched fists to gaping mouth>

AAAAIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ok. I feel a little better.)

I'm sorry if there's any similar stories like this but I'm not going through all these pages of spider euughh.

Imagine if you will a spider so big that it could stand on the rim of a pint glass. Not the biggest you've ever witnessed on TV perhaps but quite big enough to scare the SHIT out of you when it leaps on to your ARM when you come out of the shower

Boyf was in Kent at the time. I screamed and had hysterics and cried etc down the phone (naturally he was wondering what he could do about it from another county)

Whenever he came home I insisted he hoover the whole house from top to bottom. No sign.

Until I finally calmed down and went to bed. There. In my pyjamas. Waiting for me. The BASTARD!

Back