• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classical Corner

henry

still speeding
Is it just me or is Barry Baldwin unreadable? I cant understand a word the guy writes.

Sorry if that sounded abrupt. I find his writing so littered with references and devoid of, like, verbs - just cant seem to get what hes on about.

Didn't it used to be black text on a patterned grey background?

I found it difficult to read then and I have to admit it is usually the last thing I read in the magazine (if I actually bother). I keep meaning to make more of an effort with it but there is something "non stick" about it that seems to make me eyes slide off the page.

I'm not sure what it is about it though.

You will see my previous comment in the first link above. Also what irritates me are the quotations from "popular" culture eg song titles or lyrics thrown in - Lazy lazy space fillers, is he paid by the word perhaps or as if he is trying to prove he is not an old academic fogey after all but "hip" as FT readers.

-

-
-

You know I dont mind judicous use of quotation, nor reference, but the guy is making a meal of it. Theres also a book review (the Ithaca one) in the latest FT that he has written. He averages 1 verb per 12 words. Someone should mention it to him.

Am I the only poster who actually likes Classical Corner and thinks it should get more space in the mag..? :?

Ive not been around for long enough to know if anyone else ever wrote Classical C, or is it Baldwins bag?

I like the premise, object to the heavy-handedness of the writing. I mean, its a little patrician...

HenryFort said:
He averages 1 verb per 12 words. Someone should mention it to him.

Did you count them?
Does that figure include gerunds?

A lesser spotted gerund? (See molesworth :lol: )

BB is okay - as I've been up to the eyeballs in academia for the past two years, I can wade through it. Although the style is awkward and the referencing is not helpful as the articles are usually written with a smug 'what do you mean you don't know Tacitus' type of knowing familiarity. Perhaps more explanation and a wee bit of discussion would be better.

It all goes in one eye and out the other for me. It's only the swearing that makes me think it might be worth reading, but it's weird how I just can't take it in. He should write "Top Secret" documents.

Bet he works in a bookshop... library...

No I didnt include gerunds, nor do I recognise apostrophes; and I did a little counting, then extrapolated.

The swearing isnt so bad, except that its a kind of unrealistic use of swear words, which, lets face it, are sometimes a joy to behold, particularly in print.

I think Rrose summed it up best, and I follow her lead and believe that old BB doesn't want to come across as a crusty old academic. However, the problem is that all (ALL) academics are removed from the real world.

I am a Classical Corner convert.

I can recall making comments very similar to those above on this Forum a couple of years ago. What always astounded me is that I have a degree in Ancient History - one would have thought that the combination of Classics and Forteana would have been perfect for me. But, I just couldn't get on with it.

After making my negative comments about CC I made more effort to read CC in future editions. Suddenly, I discovered an informative, witty and entertaining column. I'm not sure what changed - I think perhaps you just have to make a bit more effort to read this section as opposed to the rest of the magazine. On its own, CC is not a problem. However, it uses a completely different rythm to the rest of the magazine and, if you are just reading the magazine through, page by page, its unique style does seem to make it a chore to plow through.

So, if you are not enjoying CC - my advice is to complain about it on this Forum and then try reading it again. Worked for me!

Don't get me wrong, I still read the column, I just have trouble concentrating on it, unlike the rest of the magazine. I'll take your advice.

I'm in two minds about BB. Either he would be an absolultely brilliant or totally crap lecturer...I don't think there can be any middle ground. But I do enjoy CC.

Ah, so it's not just me then. It's easier now the patterned background has gone, but I still can't read a whole one!

I was amazed over the last classical corner. The idea of writing the whole thing about words that end in mancy. Did they have some contest as to who could come up with the most boring subject?

Mighty_Emperor said:
GadaffiDuck said:
Try reading it in bits :lol:

William Boroughs style? I like it!!!

Off-topic: Anyone ever read Dead Fingers Talk by Burroughs? You think its junk until page 28 and then he has you... Someone should leave a copy on Baldwins desk.

Back