• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cloning & The Second Coming

Could this new human cloning thing be a way of advertising Star Wars 2 - Attack of the Clones, or is the timing just a coincidence?

Is it attack of the clones because it was cheaper than designing individual fighters' faces and clothes? Is Lucas a clone? Why are there literally no women in his films apart from leia - an incest/odoepal fantasy? Should Lucas' have to explain JarJar Binks to the UN racism tribunal? And was Jesus really a Carpenter, or was he a New Seeker? Answers on a postacrd to 'Bullshit...or Not?'

Was I right in thinking they used a skin cell to replace the DNA in the fertilised egg? Does this mean that they can clone the long dead, as long as there's a well preserved example of DNA? :eek!!!!:

Of course they can. That is the whole point of cloning. If they needed egg cells or so it would be nothing special. But now they can make a copy of someone if they have a few cells from them. Like all those hair samples of Elvis people have laying around.

As for Star Wars, I think the clone wars was mentioned even back in the original trilogy.

To paraphrase Obi Wan Guinness: "I fought alongside your father in the Clone Wars" in the bit where he shows Luke his father's light sabre. Not seen that in years... I was a dedicated fan at the age of 4 though! :)

Well, on the subject of cloning, we have Einstein's brain... Elvis' hair... We also have some very well preserved mammoths about - is there enough complete DNA in these to make a new one, gestated by an african elephant perhaps (may require a ceasarian before it's fully grown tho...)?

Heres a thought:

Say that the Shroud of Turin was found to be authentic, and They (whoever They happen to be) were able to clone the guy that claimed to be the son of God by using long dead cells from the cloth. What would happen then?

Would that be classed as the second coming, or simply a revision of the original visit? Jesus 2 or Jesus 1.1?

And what would happen if Jesus returned to Earth, while his clone was alive? Special 2 for 1 deal on Miracles?

Also, if Jesus did return to Earth, how would he prove that he was who he said he was?

In today's society we tend to lock people up if they claim to be the son of God. And we are a lot less easy to impress than ancient folk. So he'd have to do something slightly more impressive than walk on water or be extremely sympathetic towards the plight of others.

TB

I was down Sheffield other week, saw this guy walking on water. The nutter. should be locked up. Raising the dead and everything, I mean... psychopath... Nearly called the police I did.

Actually, I may be primitive, but I still find walking on water kinda impressive ;)

I don't know why, but I've always had this vision that if Jesus came back, he'd prove to be the son of God by walking into the reactor chamber in a nuclear power station and preventing a meltdown.

After all, that walking on water shtick's old hat - simply train crocodiles/turtles to lie just under the surface and then hop over them. Hippos are a useful substitute, but make sure you feed them first.

My personal belief is that there will (and already are) many messiahs waiting in the wings, and many anti-christs. When the big day comes they'll all get together and play tag-wrestling whilst the virgin mary walks around the ring with the score card.

I don't know why, but I've always had this vision that if Jesus came back, he'd prove to be the son of God by walking into the reactor chamber in a nuclear power station and preventing a meltdown.

Dot23

Isn't that Superman's gig?

Yeah, if he can walk on water and we find it is not by walking on shallow ground, then that would be enough for me.

But consider all the fake relics there are. If somebody took some blood from them and cloned Jesus that way, they'd probably end up with some mideaval peasant instead who had no idea why they wanted him to walk on water. He'd consider them nuts.

I'd hoped to post this before anyone else got around to doing so, but it appears as though I am too late. But it's worth posting again. You see, while I am not saying that it will happen this way (no one knows how or even when it will happen), for a year or so I've wondered if the anti-Christ might be Jesus' clone. The anti-Christ might be cloned from the blood cells left on the Shroud of Turin.
Now THAT would be a way to end the world! Millions of Christians (like myself. hi.) having to look into the face of God Himself and turn away from the guy. And then, once the Enemy would come upon the man, he would become possessed by Satan. He would encounter me and say, "Joshua, please, it is I, your savior. Don't you know me, Joshua? Come, worship me." But it would be the Enemy, and not my King. Again I say it: what a way to end the world!

Also, if Jesus did return to Earth, how would he prove that he was who he said he was? In today's society we tend to lock people up if they claim to be the son of God. And we are a lot less easy to impress than ancient folk. So he'd have to do something slightly more impressive than walk on water or be extremely sympathetic towards the plight of others.

Hehe, the first time Jesus came, He came as the Savior. According to the Bible, which, supermarket tabloids notwithstanding, is the only record of Jesus' life on earth, when He comes a second time, He will come as the Judge. He will not, as some are apparently presuming, just show up one day as some guy walking down the street; that was His style the first time around. His second time around, the world will be ending. The sky will roll up like a scroll and everyone on Earth will see Him coming from the sky with thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of His angels. The bravest warriors will flee in terror, crying out to the mountains they will hide in, "Please! Fall on us to hide us from He who sits on the throne!" Screams of terror will echo from all over the world, the mountains will shake, the stars themselves will fall from their places in the sky as they encounter their Creator, the Holy One. In those days, men will seek to die but death will be nowhere to be found. Horrible plagues many times worse than AIDS will appear throughout the world, killing many. I dare say you might not even find a pair of dry pants among us Christians, as we behold our Savior in His glory, His eyes as lightning, His face brighter than the sun, His clothes whiter than any bleach can bleach them. When that time comes, and it will come, the Universe will end. Earth will cease to exist, for this Universe will no longer have existence; it will all disappear, and He will create it all anew -- the second Genesis, my friends. And a new Earth, with The New Jersualem! And all of those who chose to follow The One Who Sits On The Throne He will live with there, forever and ever. Death and disease, sorrow and despair, temptation and evil, will not be there, for those who had not decided to follow Him will have been cast into Damnation's fires, where they will burn, forever, and ever. Amen.

So don't be acting like the Second Coming's going to be a cake-walk, okay?

Couldn't we just get some of Jesus's DNA from the wine they turn to blood or bread they turn to flesh every Sunday at catholic churches all round the world.

Death and disease, sorrow and despair, temptation and evil, will not be there, for those who had not decided to follow Him will have been cast into Damnation's fires, where they will burn, forever, and ever.

And people wonder why no-one's interested in Christianity any more in countries like Britain. Well now you know.

Rhetoric like that sounds like it could come straight from Osama Bin Laden. Except it's God threatening casting people into hell for ever instead of Bin Laden calling for American civilians to be killed.

Of course not all Christians use that kind of fire-and-brimstone rhetoric, but the point is the bible actually says those who don't believe in God will be damned, so I don't see how you can be a Christian if you don't believe that.

Originally posted by dot23

After all, that walking on water shtick's old hat - simply train crocodiles/turtles to lie just under the surface and then hop over them. Hippos are a useful substitute, but make sure you feed them first.

IIRC, Roger Moore ran across some crocs in a 007 flick. Live and Let Die, maybe?

About Jesus returning, I've always kind of imagined Him appearing in the sky with a torch in one hand and a sword in the other, pissed (American pissed, not the UK version) as all get-out, and backed up by a regiment of angelic warriors. That's when I'd begin kissing up: "Oh, Jesus--I was just going to pray to you! Hey, if you're not busy, let me buy you lunch at the kosher deli around the corner. You've gotta be famished, big guy--you haven't eaten in, what, two thousand years? No, really, it's on me!"

Hey, what do you know, I just went back after writing this post and read Joshua's message, which I've apparently just repeated a portion of unknowingly. So let me just say, "Ditto (more or less) to what Josh said." :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And people wonder why no-one's interested in Christianity any more in countries like Britain. Well now you know. Rhetoric like that sounds like it could come straight from Osama Bin Laden. Except it's God threatening casting people into hell for ever instead of Bin Laden calling for American civilians to be killed. Of course not all Christians use that kind of fire-and-brimstone rhetoric, but the point is the bible actually says those who don't believe in God will be damned, so I don't see how you can be a Christian if you don't believe that.

I understand your confusion. You equate threats with bullies. In fact, the difference between Osama's and God's threats is that and is doing it for selfish, evil reasons without care for human life, and the other is doing it for selfless, loving reasons with infinite care for human life. One loves war, and the other hates war, His heart breaking every time He employs it. It's just like your parent(s) or guardian telling you that if you run out in the street, your toys will be taken away for a day. Moreover, your parents tell you not to steal candy from the supermarket or they will make you go back to the supermarket and apologize, and your allowance will be taken away for a month. And then your parents tell you not to vandelize someone else's car, or you will be sent to jail for up to a year or so. And you're told, if you murder, you will be sent to prison for decades. In the same way, God is saying do not reject Him or you will burn in Hell. He's actually trying to save you from Hell, He's not up there with a lightning bolt in His hand, waiting for you to make the smallest mistake so He can hurl the rod down upon you with a chuckle. His intentions are to save you all from the waste shaft, no less.

well, for one if the world is brought to a premature end (not by the sun exploding in 4 billion years time) it will undoubtedly be through the actions of man and not God. All that guff from revelations is strictly for the paranoid. Hell is in the mind, and the only way to avoid hell is to cleanse the mind of destructive thoughts - such as the belief that the world's going to end any minute and the AntiChrist (tm) will appear. All this mythological talk will do you no favours LJ - if you want to see the anti-christ look at your president, if you want to see hell look to Afghanistan and the butchery that your people (and mine) are doing over there. Ceaseless praying only salves the conscience, and won't stop people killing each other.

I'm sure people are going to start going on at me about how I should respect your beliefs LJ, but I'm afraid I percieve you to be too easily influenced by people who want you to spend your entire life wishing for something that may never happen (salvation/the end of the world) whilst paying them for the pleasure. Appologies if this causes offence, but I feel I'm only saying this for your own benefit.

LeavittJoshua said:
His second time around, the world will be ending. The sky will roll up like a scroll and everyone on Earth will see Him coming from the sky with thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of His angels.

I'm no bible expert, but didn't you skip the part where satan boils up from the depths of hell and roams the earth for a thousand years? And what about the seven angels, scrolls, churches, cities, etc. And I *know* there's a whole lot of 'gnashing of teeth' in there somewhere. Very redundant, if you ask me.

Cloning wouldn't bring Jesus back, and even if it could I'm sure he'd off himself pretty quick with the whole entire world gaping and asking him to 'walk on water', and 'make me some bread and fishes' and whatnot.

Don't know how everyone else feels, but I'm only counting on cloning to help my stocks in the long term (and maybe help me if i get sick). And as for the second coming... I'll believe in it after it's over and the dust settles. Until then, I'll just wait around until the sun starts fusing helium and we all attend the 'Last Barbeque'.

LeavittJoshua said:
And then your parents tell you not to vandelize someone else's car, or you will be sent to jail for up to a year or so. And you're told, if you murder, you will be sent to prison for decades. In the same way, God is saying do not reject Him or you will burn in Hell. He's actually trying to save you from Hell, He's not up there with a lightning bolt in His hand, waiting for you to make the smallest mistake so He can hurl the rod down upon you with a chuckle. His intentions are to save you all from the waste shaft, no less.

Isn't it more like your parents telling you not to vandalize cars or they will lock you up?
I don't think God just looked out of his window one day, saw Hell on the horizon and thought "Who put that there?"

If God is the one described in Revelations 9/10 th of the world - minimum - is in deep do-do. He gives free-will but says if you disobey me ... HELL. "Hey, I don't really want to do this but you're forcing me to because I love you" is a line used by abusers throughout the world.

Revelation implies that since God is all knowing, He created man knowing that most would be condemned to eternal punishment. Now what do you call a god like that? Of course He may not be all knowing in which case all prophecies regarding the worlds end are invalid. It makes the confident assertion that God will be the victor after the final battle mere propaganda.

Mind you, St John the Divines Revelation is part of the Appocrypha so theres a good chance that it is in the Bible to frighten the kids.

I'm not sorry to admit that I'm not Christian, I'm atheist. When I consider a Deity it is a bit and more consistent with the universe as we perceive it. Of course such a deity is not proven. A deity that big would be awesome and unknowable - atheist

As regards a clone of Jesus he wouldn't be a Messiah until after the Holy Spirit had decended on him as it had to do at his baptism by John the Baptist. Anyone got a way of cloning JtB? :confused:

Let's see:

"All that guff from revelations is strictly for the paranoid. Hell is in the mind, and the only way to avoid hell is to cleanse the mind of destructive thoughts - such as the belief that the world's going to end any minute and the AntiChrist (tm) will appear. All this mythological talk will do you no favours LJ - if you want to see the anti-christ look at your president, if you want to see hell look to Afghanistan and the butchery that your people (and mine) are doing over there. Ceaseless praying only salves the conscience, and won't stop people killing each other."

You're looking at it the wrong way. This world of pain is going to end -- so that a NEW world that has no pain at all can BEGIN. I agree with you 100% in that this world stinks! It's a long story, but it wasn't always like this. The bad news is that, I'm sorry, it's going to keep getting worse until the end comes. Besides, I'm looking forward to it. It's the people who don't let God in that won't be enjoying themselves later.

"I'm sure people are going to start going on at me about how I should respect your beliefs LJ, but I'm afraid I percieve you to be too easily influenced by people who want you to spend your entire life wishing for something that may never happen (salvation/the end of the world) whilst paying them for the pleasure. Appologies if this causes offence, but I feel I'm only saying this for your own benefit."

Dot, you have yet to offend me.

This is what my Bible says:

First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.
They will say, "Where is this `coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation."
But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water.

"I'm no bible expert, but didn't you skip the part where satan boils up from the depths of hell and roams the earth for a thousand years? And what about the seven angels, scrolls, churches, cities, etc. And I *know* there's a whole lot of 'gnashing of teeth' in there somewhere."

Oh yes, I most certainly did skip many, many things!

"He gives free-will but says if you disobey me ... HELL. "Hey, I don't really want to do this but you're forcing me to because I love you" is a line used by abusers throughout the world."

God gives free will to us so that we can choose to obey Him or not. And you must realize, from the Way's perspective this life is just a nothing in terms of the infinity after this life. EVERYTHING we do here will help determine the level of torture or pleasure we get to have forever. So you had surely believe that God is incredibly serious about His demands. We do what He says, we go to a great place after our earthly bodies die. We don't do what He says, then it gets ugly. Do what He says or know the reality of His warning.

"Revelation implies that since God is all knowing, He created man knowing that most would be condemned to eternal punishment. Now what do you call a god like that? Of course He may not be all knowing in which case all prophecies regarding the worlds end are invalid. It makes the confident assertion that God will be the victor after the final battle mere propaganda."

Yes, He created Creation knowing exactly what would happen. But what are you? A human. How can you judge God? I've tried; it doesn't even phase the Guy.

"Mind you, St John the Divines Revelation is part of the Appocrypha so theres a good chance that it is in the Bible to frighten the kids.
I'm not sorry to admit that I'm not Christian, I'm atheist. When I consider a Deity it is a bit and more consistent with the universe as we perceive it. Of course such a deity is not proven. A deity that big would be awesome and unknowable - atheist"

Ahhh. A Catholic or Episopalian turned Atheist? Very unfortunate. However, you are wrong about Revelation being a part of the Apocrypha (the Apocrypha is NOT part of the Bible). Revelation is the final book in the Bible.
You want a gigantic God? Well, you are inside of Him right now. He's everywhere. He knows everything. He is all-powerful. You would say that that is what you would expect in a real God, but you fail to realize what that would mean. It would mean that God knows exactly who you are, what your life has been like and all the stuff in it, and all the time what you are thinking or feeling. It would mean that He is everywhere, completely inescapable; you can't escape His presence. It would mean that God has the power to control the entirety of the Universe's goings-ons, and still have infinite power left to be your best friend and heal your life.

"As regards a clone of Jesus he wouldn't be a Messiah until after the Holy Spirit had decended on him as it had to do at his baptism by John the Baptist. Anyone got a way of cloning JtB?"

I am impressed with the level of your confusion. Jesus was Jesus from conception and before. The baptism was symbolic and should be seen as the first visible, audible, public, Speilburgian manifestation of the Spirit/Jesus/the Father around the Son.

Hello there LeavittJoshua, you clearly place a lot of faith in what the bible says.

Can you let us know your personal thought on the books of Genesis and your interpritation of the world being created in 7 days?

There are many disputes between "science" and "the church" as to things like the fossil record, the age of the planet etc. Can you explain how your faith integrates these into your understanding of science?

I am an athiest as I find there to be too many inconsistencies with the bible and the word as preached by many ministers. I do my best to integrate my understanding of the world with my life and be a generally "good" person, but does the fact that I do not believe in a deity mean I am condemned in the next world?

thanks

Uncle Bulgaria

on the subject of cloning, we have Einstein's brain... Elvis' hair... We also have some very well preserved mammoths about

Great! You realize that now some idiot will clone a mamoth with Einstein's brain and Elvis' hair. :cross eye

I've got some questions about Christianity which have troubled me and I'd be glad for your view, LeavittJoshua.

1)Do you believe in a physical resurrection or a spiritual one?
2)What’s heaven like? Is it for eternity, and if so what is there to do there?
3)Why do you look forward to the destruction of millions of people?
4)What about the people who inadvertantly live by the commandments but are not actually religious? What about the people who haven’t actually heard about Christianity at all? Is there a place for these people? If not, then eternal damnation for someone who is inherently good but non-religious seems terribly harsh.

I'd be grateful for your views.

DD

Odd but true, the Roslin Institute, where Dolly the sheep was
bred is situated near Rosslyn Chapel, a place saturated in
Masonic and mystic lore. Some say the crypt contains the
Holy Grail and others say it is the tomb of Christ!

But since most of Jesus was taken up bodily into Heaven, we
may have to make do with a cloned foreskin on the back of a Holy
Mouse. :eek!!!!:

>Hello there LeavittJoshua, you clearly place a lot of faith in what the bible says.

Can you let us know your personal thought on the books of Genesis and your interpritation of the world being created in 7 days?

There are many disputes between "science" and "the church" as to things like the fossil record, the age of the planet etc. Can you explain how your faith integrates these into your understanding of science?

I am an athiest as I find there to be too many inconsistencies with the bible and the word as preached by many ministers. I do my best to integrate my understanding of the world with my life and be a generally "good" person, but does the fact that I do not believe in a deity mean I am condemned in the next world?<

For a very extensive and sufficient understanding of the way that I myself integrate Christianity and science, go to <http://forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1201>.

The honest truth concerning that third paragraph is that an admittedly increasing number of pastors, ministers, preachers -- whatever you want to call them -- are not terrific examples of fake Christians and hypocrites. Both the UK and the USA have been experiencing an onslaught from these shameful excuses for pastors. I would urge you to seek the truth for yourself in this way: Because it could not hurt, simply ask either outloud or inaudibly that if there is such a great and wonderful and loving God who is all knowing, all powerful, and omnipresent -- that that God lead you to full knowledge of Himself, and that He personally guide you as you search for the truth. Be sincere and just say that you are open to Him right now.
But like I said, just let the prayer come from your own unique, specially created self. Too many times nowadays people open a hymnal and read the same few lines that they have no real feeling for. It's your life, let it be your prayer. It doesn't have to be long, it doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to be real. Even if you only said, "God, I'm ready to know about You," it would suffice. In the end, He's more interested in the words of your heart than the words of your mouth.
Draw closer to God, and He will draw closer to you.
I am not perfect. Yet God loves me.

"You cannot judge god" Why not?
"It doesn't even phase the guy" How do you know? and complementing me on being human still doesn't answer the question "Why set it up so the great majority of those who exist in it will suffer for all eternity"

We are inside god, a statement that denies that god was a creator.

This world is a world of pain, No. Its going to get worse. So why's it always getting better?

If god is so serious about his demands (note that word) why does he lie? Sorry, misdirect, test our faith. But hey, he knows the secrets of all hearts so why the tests? Oh it's for our own good - and so on in circles. Remember these are tests most will not pass.

If the world was created from water a) where did the water come from? and b) why does it lie - sorry, test the faith - about its origins?

Revelation is not a part of certain bibles. It is not in the oldest versions of the bible (Siniaticus for example). There are bibles for all versions of Christianity. Oops, up the fail rate to 99% and then some.

The bible is very clear that the Holy spirit decended into JC at his baptism and that he could not begin his work until that baptism. Remember the theology is that JC had free will. He could have turned aside from his path at any time but didn't. If he did not have free will it would negate the meaning of the sacrifice.

The deity you propose is not particularly big. He's god of humans. The rest of the universe is merely a backdrop for the testing of 1 species.

Never Catholic never a member of any church, tried a couple of times but free will, a sense of the ridiculous and the outright untruths in the teaching got in the way. Apologies for the atheist should have read agnostic I'd just finished a hard shift.

>"You cannot judge god" Why not?<

A person who is all-knowing, omnipresent, and all-powerful cannot possibly make mistakes. I am a human and so are you, and we most certainly cannot claim to have any one of those attributes. Therefore God always knows best. A God who always does what is best has nothing to be judged. Therefore no one can judge Him.

>"It doesn't even phase the guy" How do you know?<

A person who is all-knowing, omnipresent, and all-powerful would know that what He is doing is the right thing to be done. Therefore He would know better than any of our criticisms of His ways.

>and complementing me on being human still doesn't answer the question "Why set it up so the great majority of those who exist in it will suffer for all eternity"<

This is what my Bible says:

“The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”

He doesn’t want anyone to go to Hell. No one at all! Yes, He knew beforehand how many would accept Him, but that will be their own choice, not His. He is constantly trying to draw everyone to Him. He gives us all the choice, though, and He won’t force His blessings upon those who don’t want them. It’s our choice to make, not His.

>We are inside god, a statement that denies that god was a creator.<

That statement refers to God’s being omnipresent. There is has never existed a place that from its creation was not filled by God’s presence.

>If god is so serious about his demands (note that word) why does he lie? Sorry, misdirect, test our faith. But hey, he knows the secrets of all hearts so why the tests? Oh it's for our own good - and so on in circles. Remember these are tests most will not pass.<

Yes, they are demands. Make no mistake about that.
God does not lie; He cannot. But which passage(s) of Scripture are you referring to?
If you are referring to God telling Abraham to kill his son Isaac but stopping Abraham from doing this as soon as he shows obedience, there was nothing deceptive about that. God gave Abraham orders on what to make plans on doing. He did, and then God stopped Him from fulfilling what those plans were.
The tests are more for own benefit than His; we grow spiritually in such tests.
These are tests that most will refuse to pass.

>If the world was created from water a) where did the water come from? and b) why does it lie - sorry, test the faith - about its origins?<

God spoke the water into existence. He said let it exist, and it immediately existed.
That it tests the faith is something that has occurred during the last couple of centuries when people adopt presumptions based on the ideas of others. The “test” here is that reality contradicts those strongly held presumption based not on what God says but what some humans say. In this the presumptions are indeed based on a lie, but that lie was told by men, not God.

>Revelation is not a part of certain bibles. It is not in the oldest versions of the bible (Siniaticus for example). There are bibles for all versions of Christianity. Oops, up the fail rate to 99% and then some.<

It is correct that Revelation is not a part of certain Bibles because during the first number of centuries after Christ, scholarly debate arose over which books to include in the cannon and which to not include. During this time different collections of Christian writings were appearing. Some collections had one book but not another, others had this but not that. This continued for a while until finally an extremely official conference was held. All opinions were represented. There was much prayer, as they all knew it would require wisdom that they did not have. And much contemplation. This resulted in the Bible most are familiar with. Sometime after this, though, the Roman Catholic Church became upset with Protestant movements and decided to make a distinction between them and themselves. And so the Roman Catholic Church decided to go ahead and decided upon their own cannon, something different from what the Protestants were using. This resulted in the Bible virtually exclusive to Catholics. The Catholic Bible has all of the books included in the Protestant Bible, but also includes highly dubious books written sometimes a century or more after the actual life of Christ. These new books are the Apocrypha.
In the year 2001, there are FAR too many translations of the Protestant Bible. That you most certainly have right. Some of these Bibles do not even have the original text but have dumbed-down word vocabularies. The two most legitimately translated Bibles are the King James Version and the New International Version. Beyond that you enter the genre of paraphrases.

>he bible is very clear that the Holy spirit decended into JC at his baptism and that he could not begin his work until that baptism. Remember the theology is that JC had free will. He could have turned aside from his path at any time but didn't. If he did not have free will it would negate the meaning of the sacrifice.<

The Trinity was fulfilled in Jesus from His conception. When Jesus was a boy He already was the Holy Spirit because He knew everything, and was also easily capable of turning water into whine. Yes, He did have free will. That is at its most obvious when moments before He knew He was about to be arrested, crucified, and become sin and know, even if only for a limited time, abandonment by the Father, He begged the Father to choose another way than this, but added that He would be faithful to the Father’s will, regardless of the pain that that would require of Himself.

>The deity you propose is not particularly big. He's god of humans. The rest of the universe is merely a backdrop for the testing of 1 species.<

Actually, well, there are other Earths out there so we can colonize them. But, yes, we are the only such species in Creation. But regardless, if there were other such species out there, He would be their God, too, and He would do this with infinite ease; He is all knowing, omnipresent, and all powerful.

This continued for a while until finally an extremely official conference was held. All opinions were represented. There was much prayer, as they all knew it would require wisdom that they did not have. And much contemplation. This resulted in the Bible most are familiar with.

So the bible was the result of a committee decision. A work of men who are by definition flawed and which, in all likelyhood was adapted to fit their image of the "word of The Lord" at the time.

This does not inspire confidence in using this book as a reference for what God wants.

Do you know how many of the books that make up the bible were written at the time Christ was alive, give or take a few years? I had the impression that most were written many decades or more after the events so were based on the recallections of elderly men/women.

thanks

Uncle Bulgaria

Back