• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

The Teenager has a Swarovski necklace she favours, a little gold dice on a chain that was given to her by my elder son a couple of years ago in recognition of the fact that they play a lot of board games together. This week she came to me with a sad face to show me how the clasp on it had broken - when the lever was pulled back it didn't open the clasp.

Yesterday I was wearing an opal pendant that the In House GP bought me from Fraser Hart for my 21st birthday ( a few years ago now) and when I took it off I was unable to close the clasp because the same fault had happened. I don't think it's ever happened to one of my good necklaces before, and certainly not in the same week that the Squish reported it to me!

The Teenager has a Swarovski necklace she favours, a little gold dice on a chain that was given to her by my elder son a couple of years ago in recognition of the fact that they play a lot of board games together. This week she came to me with a sad face to show me how the clasp on it had broken - when the lever was pulled back it didn't open the clasp.

Yesterday I was wearing an opal pendant that the In House GP bought me from Fraser Hart for my 21st birthday ( a few years ago now) and when I took it off I was unable to close the clasp because the same fault had happened. I don't think it's ever happened to one of my good necklaces before, and certainly not in the same week that the Squish reported it to me!
You can actually buy those clasps separately and do a repair yourself.
They are surprisingly expensive, though (approx. £8 for 2).

You can actually buy those clasps separately and do a repair yourself.
They are surprisingly expensive, though (approx. £8 for 2).
That's cheaper than the £30 that H Samuel quoted the Teenager for a repair!

But I'll look into it, thanks. Where's the best place to find them?

You might look on Amazon for replacements. I buy magnetic clasps for my jewellery (mostly occult symbols on silver chains) and they work well.
Proper clasps that I can't work are also available of course.

That's cheaper than the £30 that H Samuel quoted the Teenager for a repair!

But I'll look into it, thanks. Where's the best place to find them?
Amazon is OK, I suppose.

You might look on Amazon for replacements. I buy magnetic clasps for my jewellery (mostly occult symbols on silver chains) and they work well.
Proper clasps that I can't work are also available of course.
I've been putting those on mine too. You just clip them on to each side of the necklace so nothing complicated.

I've been putting those on mine too. You just clip them on to each side of the necklace so nothing complicated.
I bought some for my mother. Her arthritic fingers had trouble with jewellery clasps so the magnetic ones help a lot.

1693205467850.png
Ebay has them.

I had bought some of the silver as well. I just find some catches are fiddly to undo especially at night when I'm tired.
These just rip straight off.

Attachments

• WD.jpg
    WD.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 7
I was recently reading a book about London crime: Underworld London: Crime and Punishment in the Capital City. This led me in a roundabout search via the Intermong to the career of the noted hangman Albert Pierrepoint. I was aware of him and his activities in the middle of the last century; what I didn't realise was that he had a slight connection to a couple of the murderers whose lives he shortened by stretching their necks:

a) One of his - customers - in 1950 was a regular at the pub that Pierrepoint ran, the Help the Poor Struggler (*snigger*) on Manchester Road, Oldham. In fact,
James "Tish" Corbett used to sing duets with Pierrepoint in the pub.

b) An infamous murder occurred in London on 29th April 1947: After a failed armed robbery at a jewellers' store in Charlotte St., W1, the criminals were forced to flee on foot. A brave member of the public, Alec de Antiquis, attempted to stop them. Tragically, the thugs' gunfire was accurate on this occasion, and the gallant Mr. de Antiquis died in the gutter a few yards from the locus:

4_GettyImages-52235220.jpg
By a strange coincidence, Pierrepoint was enjoying a pint with friends in the nearby Fitzroy Tavern, and saw the murder committed. In September that year, he hanged Charles Jenkins and Christopher James Geraghty for de Antiquis's murder.

As best I can ascertain, here is the murder locus today:

Charlotte-Street-de-Antiquis-murder-Fortean-arrow.jpg

(We are looking north along Charlotte St. towards its junction with Tottenham Rd.)

At street level:

Charlotte-Street-de-Antiquis-murder-Fortean-02.jpg

I believe that the exact location of Mr. de Antiquis’s death would be by the darker kerbstone near the apex of the corner.

maximus otter
Looks like the BT chamber in the pavement is in the same place.
Perhaps even the same one.

I had a couple of odd dreams last night, enough to make me say to the In-House Medic, "I had some weird dreams!", to which he replied "Me too. Must be something in the water."
From the tap? Or from within? :)

LOL. Metaphorical tap, I guess.
I once again had an occasionally reoccurring dream last night. Walking down a steep hill in a very built up town like walking down towards the sea in the distance below the town.
Then I always seem to end up trying to find my way out - walking along familiar places that eventually link me to this old lane - dirt pathway, and I walk away passing some old cottages, then in onto a sparse scene following along my route along this pathway then looking across a deep dark valley with trees, then I usually find myself starting to wake up.
Only last night the scene altered a little, in that it started to snow heavily and made my route that bit more of a problem - then I must have woken up, as I noticed the first of the daylight which I viewed through my window.

Went for my flu jab late afternoon yesterday. Had to give my date of birth when I sat down, and was surprised to be asked for it twice more.

The woman taking details said they'd been busy all day, and every other person seemed to have the 30th in their date of birth. She thought she was hearing things!

Today Techy was telling me about various prangs and crashes he's experienced.
After one, he limped home by a circuitous route because the car would only turn left.
Took him a while. :chuckle:

Later we were watching TV when a character arrived late for an appointment, with the excuse that the car would only turn left.
Spooky. :cool:

Today Techy was telling me about various prangs and crashes he's experienced.
After one, he limped home by a circuitous route because the car would only turn left.
Took him a while. :chuckle:

Later we were watching TV when a character arrived late for an appointment, with the excuse that the car would only turn left.
Spooky. :cool:
'Left' with nothing but coincidences no doubt! :)

I was tidying up my boating log today and reading back through records of the various days out I have had. 108 days on the water over a 7 year period.

Only three other sailors I have met, all at the same lake, are mentioned by name.

One has an almost identical boat to mine: same hull, different rig. His name is Phil.

One has a similar general style of boat, and is a member of the same national club as I am. His name is Phil.

One I met yesterday on the water. He has an earlier model of my boat, and is also a member of the same national club. His name is Phil.

Just had mermaids come up three times in a ten minute span! First I saw a painting by Jennie Harbour, then I came across a song called ‘Mermaid‘ by Brenda Wootton (Her voice was so beautiful.), then a photo by Michael Dweck, whose Wikipedia page said his second book was called ‘Mermaids.’
I don’t think I’d heard of any of these people before!
Just changed my avatar to the Jennie Harbour painting!

Just had mermaids come up three times in a ten minute span!
ha! ha! I got that far into your post and was imagining that you were fishing and that they'd actually popped up out of the waves ... 'wow that was an exciting fortean thing to happen, way beyond the remit of the coincidence thread !!!' thought I. :)

Anyway to add slightly to the coincidence theme, the last book I looked at before turning off my kindle and getting up this morning was :-

Death of a Mermaid eBook : Thomson, Lesley

As coach of Sangiovannese, which plays in Serie D, he collided his car with the car of one of his players just before an important home match in 2004. Sangiovannese subsequently won the game.

Sarri then decides to cause another collision with the same player a week later, this time deliberately. It turns out to be for good reason. Once again Sarri hails a victory.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2495289-mees...ovocateur-lazio-trainer-sarri-is-het-allemaal

Sarri then decides to cause another collision with the same player a week later, this time deliberately. It turns out to be for good reason. Once again Sarri hails a victory.
Well I know sports people are full of superstitions but that's just taking things too far!

Back